Author Topic: Shelden v. Scal  (Read 4388 times)

Shelden v. Scal
« on: December 09, 2009, 08:32:31 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
What's with Scal getting so much playing time?  I know Shelden has come back down to earth a bit, but I still think he's more effective than Scal.  When we had Powe and Baby, Scal hardly ever saw the floor unless KG was hurt.  Now we have Shelden and Sheed and Scal gets playing time.  Scal sucks and I don't get it.  I know Shelden did play, but shouldn't he be getting all of Scal's minutes?

Scal keeps trying to drive instead of just shooting or passing the ball and he gets called for travel.  Why is he driving?  That's not his game.  Don't get me wrong, I like Scal, but I like him more when he's on the bench.

Can't wait for Baby to return. 
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Re: Shelden v. Scal
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 08:38:06 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
What's with Scal getting so much playing time?  I know Shelden has come back down to earth a bit, but I still think he's more effective than Scal.  When we had Powe and Baby, Scal hardly ever saw the floor unless KG was hurt.  Now we have Shelden and Sheed and Scal gets playing time.  Scal sucks and I don't get it.  I know Shelden did play, but shouldn't he be getting all of Scal's minutes?

Scal keeps trying to drive instead of just shooting or passing the ball and he gets called for travel.  Why is he driving?  That's not his game.  Don't get me wrong, I like Scal, but I like him more when he's on the bench.

Doc's playing matchups.  I don't agree with Doc that Scal has been a better matchup than williams would have been.  Scal's man is still scoring/offensive rebounding.  Williams would at least prevent the offensive rebounding if not reduce the scoring as well.

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 09:12:35 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
I know Doc's playing matchups, but it doesn't seem like Scal is even effective in those matchups. 
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 09:18:59 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
i'm sticking up for scal  :-\
he has a more rounded game, if we need a banger low post rebounder etc its sheldon hands down no comparison
scal can hit the 3, passes nicely and plays good team defense (really)
not sure why he is getting THIS much pt but i can see in certain situations him being pf

how about rebounding and keeping our bigs on the block when bucks showed they cannot guard down low?

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 09:19:34 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I know Doc's playing matchups, but it doesn't seem like Scal is even effective in those matchups. 

Yep... I understood the "matchup choice" early in the game last night but seriously, with the way Scal was killing us on both ends, I don't understand why Doc didn't even put Shelden in the game for 2 minutes!

I hope we see more of Shelden in the next games. Sure, he has big troubles to catch the ball under the basket but he plays better D than Scal and rebounds way better.

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 10:14:13 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
In Milwakees commentator words from last night

because by mistake i ended up watching the game with them talking.

....quote " Scal is playing great, hes all over the place, and there he is disturbing another pass"

I think the big part is basically what put Scal over Shelden in Docs mind.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 10:31:48 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Doc's playing matchups.  I don't agree with Doc that Scal has been a better matchup than williams would have been.  Scal's man is still scoring/offensive rebounding.  Williams would at least prevent the offensive rebounding if not reduce the scoring as well.

It has been matchups, and I completely agree with Doc's choices.  When teams are playing guys like Ilyasova and Matt Bonner at PF, Shelden does not stand a chance to stay with them, which would likely allow them to start raining 3's. 

I also think there is a little more to it though.  I think Williams has plateaued a bit lately, and teams have adjusted to him more, making him less effective.  Mostly though, I think he is still making mistakes on defense, and especially on offense, that he was making earlier in the year, and now that Scal is healthy, Doc does not need to play Williams as much.

Let's be honest here, despite the nice numbers he put up early in the season, Williams is who he is.  He is a very good rebounder, but incredibly limited on offense, and is a questionable defender. 

I think one of Williams' biggest struggles in the NBA has been trying to change from a big man who could stand in the middle and block shots to an undersized guy who can't really block many shots any more, and needs to rely on proper positioning to play defense.  Powe had this same problem defensively, which is why it took him so long to get into the rotation.  Davis on the other hand always had to rely on positioning, since he didn't play above the rim in college either...this made it a much quicker transition for him.

Ultimately, I think we are seeing the beginning of the transition of Williams from 9th man to about 11th man.  He will still see the floor in certain matchups, and will be valuable when there are injuries or foul trouble, but ultimately, he is not a rotation quality player on this team.

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 10:47:52 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald

It has been matchups, and I completely agree with Doc's choices.  When teams are playing guys like Ilyasova and Matt Bonner at PF, Shelden does not stand a chance to stay with them, which would likely allow them to start raining 3's. 

I also think there is a little more to it though.  I think Williams has plateaued a bit lately, and teams have adjusted to him more, making him less effective.  Mostly though, I think he is still making mistakes on defense, and especially on offense, that he was making earlier in the year, and now that Scal is healthy, Doc does not need to play Williams as much.

Let's be honest here, despite the nice numbers he put up early in the season, Williams is who he is.  He is a very good rebounder, but incredibly limited on offense, and is a questionable defender. 

I think one of Williams' biggest struggles in the NBA has been trying to change from a big man who could stand in the middle and block shots to an undersized guy who can't really block many shots any more, and needs to rely on proper positioning to play defense.  Powe had this same problem defensively, which is why it took him so long to get into the rotation.  Davis on the other hand always had to rely on positioning, since he didn't play above the rim in college either...this made it a much quicker transition for him.

Ultimately, I think we are seeing the beginning of the transition of Williams from 9th man to about 11th man.  He will still see the floor in certain matchups, and will be valuable when there are injuries or foul trouble, but ultimately, he is not a rotation quality player on this team.

What!  What happened to the "we have Shelden now so let's trade Big Baby" crowd? ::)

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 10:50:36 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

What!  What happened to the "we have Shelden now so let's trade Big Baby" crowd? ::)

Well, I am sure they are still here, but while I was pleasantly surprised by Williams' performance (I expected very little), I have always felt Davis was a superior player.

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 10:53:57 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Yep... I understood the "matchup choice" early in the game last night but seriously, with the way Scal was killing us on both ends, I don't understand why Doc didn't even put Shelden in the game for 2 minutes!

Scal missed a couple shots, but he played excellent defense last night.

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 11:08:44 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
i'd put scal over big baby..any player who can get mad enuff to smash his hand and cant play for months is not dependable....whats next for baby...get mad and kick a brick wall and break his foot? .scal shows up for work and plays hard..

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 11:31:32 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528

Scal missed a couple shots, but he played excellent defense last night.

I sometimes think that Scal is the only Celtic who remembers the energy it took in 2007-8 to play great defense.   He sparked the D last night for a stretch.

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 11:34:16 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
i'd put scal over big baby..any player who can get mad enuff to smash his hand and cant play for months is not dependable....whats next for baby...get mad and kick a brick wall and break his foot? .scal shows up for work and plays hard..

LOL.  Sorry, I don't care what Baby did, Scal sucks.

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 11:39:01 AM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
Scal's defense is like Giddens defense. Runs around, looks active but gets burned a lot. Sure he can play a good game here and there but overall he isn't very good.

C's always seem to be responding to other teams match ups not forcing the other team to match up with them. Saw it when the Bucks went to 2 point guards. In comes Eddie. Ray was rested at the time. Punish them for going with 2 points.

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 11:42:46 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Scal's defense is like Giddens defense. Runs around, looks active but gets burned a lot. Sure he can play a good game here and there but overall he isn't very good.

I disagree with this completely.  The big difference is that Scal is almost always in the right position.  Giddens has a lot of energy, and can annoy guys one on one (just like Tony), but he always misses rotations.  Scal almost never misses rotations.