Author Topic: ESPN Sportscenter Teaser..Red Sox on verge of trading Manny  (Read 39256 times)

Re: ESPN Sportscenter Teaser..Red Sox on verge of trading Manny
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2008, 11:31:15 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Quote from: Chris
This was my feeling up until a few days ago.  However, now I have pulled a complete 180.  After seeing this team flounder, and look like a total sinking ship, while Manny keeps trying to make the hole in the hull grow bigger and bigger, I have come to the conclusion that I can't see this team going anywhere with Manny this year.  The bridges have been burned.

To me, the only chance to actually save the season is to get rid of Manny, and hope the new blood livens up the rest of the crew.

I concur 100%.  I've always been a big Manny supporter, but the recent actions have reached the point of no return, I think.

If the deal is Jason Bay + prospects, I'm okay with that.  If it's Jason Bay + we give up prospects, I'm not a fan.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2008, 11:35:24 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

they may have an ice cream party, but that is going to have to be some REALLY good ice cream to make up for not making the playoffs....

the front office botched this big time. they should have just picked up his options at the beginning of the season. there no reason to think that Manny isn't going to right about where he is now for the next couple of seasons and his bat is just not replaceable.

the combo of Ortiz and Manny is one of the most fearsome in baseball and breaking that up because they don't like him taking some plays/games off every once in a while is maddening to me.

this is almost all on the front office. once they started talking about trading Manny and how he was faking injuries etc this thing just exploded.

This is not the front offices fault.  Manny agreed to a deal in which the Red Sox had the opportunity to pick up the option in November.  He is being a spoiled brat and not complying with what he signed 8 years ago.  This is all on Manny, the team is frustrated with him, he is calling out the front office.  Remy is Sick of him and i have never heard him talk ill of a player before.  He was faking the injury IMO he let 3 pitches go by him while he left the bat on his shoulder in NY.  The only thing that can be blamed on the front office is that they let him get away with this crap before and now he expects he can do it again.  And why do you think that we cant replace him.  There are several players putting up comparable numbers, such as Jason Bay, who when you stack the numbers and consider they owe him 7.5 mill instead of 20 mill. next year is a very good replacement. 

And I certainly hope that you are not a financial planner because you don't seem to have a grasp on value..

you are making the Billy-ball argument and i don't doubt that that is part of the reason they started looking to move Manny.

personally i don't like it from a fan standpoint, but i also think it is flawed from a front office standpoint.

Manny is feared. Jason Bay is not. that switch would totally de-fang our lineup IMO and it would also pump up the snooze factor.

tell me the value of not making the playoffs......this team has money coming out its ears.....the worst thing they can do is not make the playoffs.

This was my feeling up until a few days ago.  However, now I have pulled a complete 180.  After seeing this team flounder, and look like a total sinking ship, while Manny keeps trying to make the hole in the hull grow bigger and bigger, I have come to the conclusion that I can't see this team going anywhere with Manny this year.  The bridges have been burned.

To me, the only chance to actually save the season is to get rid of Manny, and hope the new blood livens up the rest of the crew.

i don't totally disagree with you at this point. i think the mistakes were made awhile ago and at this point there may be no turning back.

personally, i think the only way to save this season would be to privately agree with Manny to an extension and go out and make another good move for a pitcher. the pitching staff needs a shot in the arm.

but i don't see any way they keep Manny beyond this year at this point (unless we win another WS), so this season could be lost either way.

it's just a total bummer that it has come to this.

« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2008, 11:39:06 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

I concur 100%.  I've always been a big Manny supporter, but the recent actions have reached the point of no return, I think.

If the deal is Jason Bay + prospects, I'm okay with that.  If it's Jason Bay + we give up prospects, I'm not a fan.

the thing is, Manny is TRYING to get traded at this point. i'm not crazy about his actions, but i think it is short term to force the issue

if he is here past the TD, i don't think he will be pushing this stuff any more. i think he will go back to playing ball.

the problem is at that point we will still have a pitching staff that is floundering.

that's why if they don't trade Manny, i think they need to make a pitching move.

« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2008, 11:43:12 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
you know the thing getting lost in this whole mess is the season that Beckett is having as our staff ace.

i really think our biggest problem this year is not having Schilling.

« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2008, 11:43:49 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Big fan of Manny here. I wouldn't mind just putting up with him for the rest of the year if it were my decision, but he's the one crying and Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing that he's unhappy.
So, it's time for him to go. It's all about the $$$ as usual. $160 million over 8 years wasn't enough "respect" apparently. He's not stupid, he knows his skills are diminishing and this is his way to get some desperate team to keep giving him $20 million a year.
And can everyone just stop the "we can't make the playoffs without him" nonsense. No one knows how the season will go the rest of the way, either with him or without him. Yes, it's very similar to the Nomar situation- he was loved by the fans(myself included) and untouchable, but they traded him and proceeded to win it all, so you just never know.
Anyway, the man helped the Sox win two titles, and was a lot of fun to watch, so this fan will have no hard feelings. Just wish he wasn't such a baby, that's all.

« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2008, 11:44:56 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yup, thats my feeling about the deal as well (although it depends on who the prospects are...if they are C level prospects, then I couldn't care less if we give them up).

Right now I am trying to decide if I would prefer Bay, or Hermida and prospects.  From all I have read and seen, Hermida is one of the top young outfield prospects in the game, and might be better value than Bay.  And if the prospects include Mike Stanton, then I would really lean towards the prospects over Bay, because I think he is the type of power prospect the sox lack.

« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2008, 11:46:18 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
you know the thing getting lost in this whole mess is the season that Beckett is having as our staff ace.

He has been OK.  I think he had some real issues starting the season, and never really got into a groove.  He has been very good lately, other than last night (where the whole team laid an egg).

« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2008, 11:46:58 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Yes, the Sox need pitching.  their bullpen is one great pitcher-- Papelbon, one ok pitcher (Okajima) and a bunch of stiffs who aren't getting it done.

« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2008, 11:48:46 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Yup, thats my feeling about the deal as well (although it depends on who the prospects are...if they are C level prospects, then I couldn't care less if we give them up).

Right now I am trying to decide if I would prefer Bay, or Hermida and prospects.  From all I have read and seen, Hermida is one of the top young outfield prospects in the game, and might be better value than Bay.  And if the prospects include Mike Stanton, then I would really lean towards the prospects over Bay, because I think he is the type of power prospect the sox lack.

Yeah, Stanton would be huge.  Last I read, though, Florida refuses to give him up.

And I agree, it definitely depends upon who these prospects are that we're sending.  I'd prefer holding on to even some of our second-tier guys like Hansen and Bard, though, even if the luster has seemed to wear off of them.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2008, 11:54:26 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
I have another question.  How is it that Pittsburgh sucks so bad if they have so many hot commodities?
Yup

« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2008, 11:58:49 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

He has been OK.  I think he had some real issues starting the season, and never really got into a groove.  He has been very good lately, other than last night (where the whole team laid an egg).

IMO he has been very disappointing for the staff leader. if he could go out there and dominate it would go a long way to putting some of this stuff behind us, but right now the starting staff  feels rudderless to me....which only accentuates the Manny problems.

the only consistent pitcher we have right now is Lester.

« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2008, 12:07:49 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Yeah, Stanton would be huge.  Last I read, though, Florida refuses to give him up.

And I agree, it definitely depends upon who these prospects are that we're sending.  I'd prefer holding on to even some of our second-tier guys like Hansen and Bard, though, even if the luster has seemed to wear off of them.

the thing is that FLA is also in a chase for the post season.

and the thing about getting a great all around prospect is that they are wasted in left field in Fenway. we need a flat out slugger to hit behind Ortiz and the names being floated either aren't that or are gambles....

i'd feel better about this if we actually had some big bats coming up through the system, but we really don't. that's why i have no understanding of why this wasn't resolved before the season. just get that done and then focus on the bullpen and shortstop....

« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2008, 12:13:29 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

has the shine really come off Bard? i thought i heard he was throwing over 100 this year....

« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2008, 12:16:17 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Big fan of Manny here. I wouldn't mind just putting up with him for the rest of the year if it were my decision, but he's the one crying and ****ing that he's unhappy.
So, it's time for him to go. It's all about the $$$ as usual. $160 million over 8 years wasn't enough "respect" apparently. He's not stupid, he knows his skills are diminishing and this is his way to get some desperate team to keep giving him $20 million a year.
And can everyone just stop the "we can't make the playoffs without him" nonsense. No one knows how the season will go the rest of the way, either with him or without him. Yes, it's very similar to the Nomar situation- he was loved by the fans(myself included) and untouchable, but they traded him and proceeded to win it all, so you just never know.
Anyway, the man helped the Sox win two titles, and was a lot of fun to watch, so this fan will have no hard feelings. Just wish he wasn't such a baby, that's all.

I'm getting sick of people saying it's all about the money.  You have seen zero quotes from Manny or his agent saying how much he wants, only from the Sox camp (yet another leak by the Sox).  Manny even just stated recently that he cares not about the money, just peace of mind.  Even if you did hear a number from his agent, that is what the agent is putting out, not Manny.  The only thing Manny has mentioned is how many years he might want to continue to play.  It is his job to ask for the most possible money for his client at the outset and work from there.  Everyone knows that the first number thrown out by an agent or lawyer his a huge number that almost never gets met.

"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2008, 12:17:21 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

has the shine really come off Bard? i thought i heard he was throwing over 100 this year....

When you read some of the trade rumors involving his name, yes.  I don't think they should deal him, but the perception of his value doesn't seem to be that of a top-tier prospect.