Author Topic: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (27-34, 10th Slot on 3/2)  (Read 221912 times)

Re: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (15-27, 6th Slot on 1/15)
« Reply #1380 on: January 15, 2018, 08:46:32 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
I think at this point, our best case scenario is the Lakers finishing 4th worst in the league.

In an ideal scenario, the Grizzlies and Mavericks figure it out a bit, and get past the Lakers in the standings. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing Orlando or Sacramento passing the Lakers in the standings, BUT maybe Atlanta (who have played a lot better than their record states) could go on a run and get past the Lakers.

Still, we also need to hope Brooklyn and Phoenix stay ahead of LAL, which is far from a given as well.

Obviously though, a long season to go, and Lakers will trade some guys to clear up cap space, hopefully making them a bit worse as well.

At this point in the season I'd say all these teams are "worse" than the Lakers talent wise.

Orlando
Atlanta
Sacramento
Dallas (better coach may offset this)
Brooklyn (better coach may offset his)

Definitely going to be a roller-coaster ride.

« Reply #1381 on: January 15, 2018, 08:50:47 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I think at this point, our best case scenario is the Lakers finishing 4th worst in the league.

In an ideal scenario, the Grizzlies and Mavericks figure it out a bit, and get past the Lakers in the standings. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing Orlando or Sacramento passing the Lakers in the standings, BUT maybe Atlanta (who have played a lot better than their record states) could go on a run and get past the Lakers.

Still, we also need to hope Brooklyn and Phoenix stay ahead of LAL, which is far from a given as well.

Obviously though, a long season to go, and Lakers will trade some guys to clear up cap space, hopefully making them a bit worse as well.

At this point in the season I'd say all these teams are "worse" than the Lakers talent wise.

Orlando
Atlanta
Sacramento

I think you have to throw Memphis in there, as well. I'm not ready to write off Phoenix, either.

Mike

« Reply #1382 on: January 15, 2018, 08:55:13 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

Orlando
Atlanta
Sacramento

I think you have to throw Memphis in there, as well. I'm not ready to write off Phoenix, either.

Mike

I think Memphis will be out of the way once Conley gets back. Phoenix is the wildcard, they may go full tank mode late in the season lol

« Reply #1383 on: January 15, 2018, 09:04:45 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I'm concerned that Conley doesn't come back at all.

Mike

« Reply #1384 on: January 15, 2018, 09:11:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Orlando
Atlanta
Sacramento

That's why I say "best case"

Maybe by a miracle, Dallas leaps LAL, and BKN stays ahead of them (Phoenix too).

Either way, I think the best we can hope for is a pick in the 4-5 range. Hard to see it at 2-3 unless the lottery goes our way.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1385 on: January 15, 2018, 09:19:55 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

Orlando
Atlanta
Sacramento

Mike

I think Memphis will be out of the way once Conley gets back. Phoenix is the wildcard, they may go full tank mode late in the season lol

This may be wishful thinking on my part, but I don't think Phoenix should be tanking.  They have a very nice and underappreciated collection of young talent.  Booker, Warren, Jackson, Len, Chriss, Bender.  They need a point guard to add to that group, but this isn't a very good PG draft anyway.  It's really just Trae Young (who I think is a bad fit with Booker since both are defensive nonentities) and Collin Sexton, who Phoenix should be able to nab in the 7-10 range if they want him. 

I think they'd get more value from teaching this core to win than they would from adding another kid to the classroom.       

« Reply #1386 on: January 15, 2018, 10:05:33 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This may be wishful thinking on my part, but I don't think Phoenix should be tanking.  They have a very nice and underappreciated collection of young talent.  Booker, Warren, Jackson, Len, Chriss, Bender.  They need a point guard to add to that group, but this isn't a very good PG draft anyway.  It's really just Trae Young (who I think is a bad fit with Booker since both are defensive nonentities) and Collin Sexton, who Phoenix should be able to nab in the 7-10 range if they want him. 

I think they'd get more value from teaching this core to win than they would from adding another kid to the classroom.     

Yeah, that's a good point. It's not like they are starting over from scratch; they already have a number of young players who should be learning how to win and they will be getting a very good pick anyway.

I am sure they wouldn't mind adding a guy like Ayton, though - they don't exactly have that super-center down low.

« Reply #1387 on: January 15, 2018, 10:57:50 PM »

Offline Kevins Gamble

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21

Orlando
Atlanta
Sacramento

I probably agree with this list, but I have hope that Atlanta gels and starts playing simply "below average" and not worst in the league.  Side note...can't believe it, but how long before we need to start worrying about the Jazz impacting our pick as well?

I wonder how much of the Lakers being better is a group mentality of young guys playing hard together and feeling disrespected by their own management.  When Magic starts trading a bunch of their pieces away for next year's contracts, does that "mentality" splinter and everyone just starts playing for their own stats and they begin losing in bunches?
(Wishful thinking I know...)
"AAAAAHAHAAAAHHAAA....take that with your beard....AAAAHHHHAAHHHAAHHAAH..YAAAHHHAHAHAH!!!"
- Cedric Maxwell, Esq

« Reply #1388 on: January 15, 2018, 11:00:37 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Lakers are going to burn it down sooner than later. Randle, Nance, etc will all be shipped out to create room for the off season

We have to hope they stay out of the 1 hole

« Reply #1389 on: January 15, 2018, 11:18:14 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Lakers are going to burn it down sooner than later. Randle, Nance, etc will all be shipped out to create room for the off season

The Lakers finishing with the worst record is better for us than if they finish 4th or 5th worse.

If they trade Randle, Nance, etc, it probably won't affect their record much.  There are a lot of teams incentivized to tank to improve their pick. 

« Reply #1390 on: January 15, 2018, 11:55:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Every game Cavs lose ,  Lebron s foot is one step,closer to boarding the plane to LA.   Lakers Front office is aware of this ....else they would have kept Lou Williams , Russell ....nice players .....everything is about FA s for that franchise .   Making room for Lebron , PG and or Boogie. 

Lakers are in a conundrum,   Pulling for Boston to beat Cavs ......sending Lebron packing for LA .   

Only way Lebron stays at minimum another finals appearance .   He has limited options because cap,space and GM whomwant to deal with his circus.   Lakers is the best option .....to be catered to.

« Reply #1391 on: January 16, 2018, 04:03:36 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
It's as if I have been watching a different LBJ all these years compared to the one that people think will become a Lakers. No way in heck is he going to play for LA when he is winding down his career, he will never be more beloved than Kobe there and that isn't good for his legacy! He is not going to do it! No way! Kobe was/is too big there, he just doesn't have enough time to be the lasting figure in Lakers heart like Kobe. LBJ cares about how he is remembered on the court and no one will look at him as a king in Kobe's court. Oh, he'll be hot at the moment (his last few years) but he will never be THE MAN when it's done because that's all Kobe.

I also have trouble seeing him go to the much tougher conference, he will be beat up and [dang] near dead trying to get to the finals every season. He's not going to do it!!! Look what Durant had to do to get his ring!

LBJ and 1 other star on LA is not a championship team. It's hard for teams to win with 3 stars these days. Can you imagine LBJ and one of PG13 or Cous beating 3 of GSW, Spurs, Houston, LAC (if they add a couple pieces), and OKC (with PG13 if he doesn't go to LA)? They would have to be nearly a perfect team to even get the #1 spot and pray that round one is an easy team. LOL that's messy! NOPE, NOT HAPPENING! It's as if people think LBJ has had to go through 3 tough rounds to get to the Finals, in the West it's guaranteed unless you are the #1 seed and with the way the West has been, even that isn't a given. 
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #1392 on: January 16, 2018, 09:56:51 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

The Lakers finishing with the worst record is better for us than if they finish 4th or 5th worse.

If they trade Randle, Nance, etc, it probably won't affect their record much.  There are a lot of teams incentivized to tank to improve their pick.

I read somewhere (sorry don’t have a link) that the Mavs are interested in native Randle either in trade or FA, and Cuban isn’t one to purposely tank. Maybe the expiring of Josh McRoberts and a protected pick will work then you get his bird rights for RFA.

Re: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (15-28, 6th Slot on 1/16)
« Reply #1393 on: January 16, 2018, 11:08:20 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
LBJ will either stick it out with CLE or find another team that can compete in the East.   Can still see him going back to MIA, or joining the Knicks if they can get another scorer.  He doesn't make much sense in Philly or MIL due to his ball dominance. They already have top notch ball dominant players.

Re: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (15-28, 6th Slot on 1/16)
« Reply #1394 on: January 16, 2018, 08:54:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Magic right now in a very tight game with the T-Wolves. 81-80 Wolves, 9 minutes to go.

Hopefully the Magic squeak it out.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller