Author Topic: Zach Lowe's 6 most intriguing players...Boston's Big 5  (Read 1211 times)

Zach Lowe's 6 most intriguing players...Boston's Big 5
« on: September 21, 2018, 01:26:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24736975/zach-lowe-andrew-wiggins-boston-celtics-lineups-most-intriguing-players

Boston's Big Five
Forget the buzz about LeBron playing center, or DeMarcus Cousins lumbering into the Warriors' starting five. This quintet is the most exciting group since Golden State stumbled into the Death Lineup: Kyrie Irving, Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, Gordon Hayward and Al Horford. The level of shooting, playmaking, and switchability on defense (minus Irving) is outrageous.

Think of all the switch-proof pick-and-roll combinations! Irving can roast bigger guys on switches; Brown, Tatum and Horford are well-versed at backing down smaller defenders on the other end of those switches. (Bully ball is the last piece missing in Hayward's game; he worked on it a ton going into last season.)

The Celtics were reluctant to go small with Horford at center and Brown and Tatum splitting power forward duty; Marcus Morris was their crutch. But when they did, the results were scary. Counting only lineups that logged at least 10 minutes and featured Horford at center alongside any four of Irving, Brown, Tatum, Marcus Smart and Terry Rozier, Boston outscored opponents by 75 points in 276 total minutes -- equivalent to about 13 points per game. None of those lineups featured Hayward.

I suspect we will see a lot of this group, and that it will start its fair share of games. Remember: It was Brad Stevens' opening night starting five last season, before catastrophe struck. Aron Baynes may start against beefy centers, but reserving Horford a large slice of power forward minutes will make it hard for Stevens to find enough time for all his perimeter players.

We should probably start preparing nicknames for this lineup. I am bad at nicknames. The best I could do off the top of my head was "Irish Exit." Suggestions?

Interesting stat regarding the lineups from last year. This year's starting 5 of Horford, Tatum, Brown, Hayward, and Irving is going to be off the charts.

So any nicknames? I like the Big 5.

Re: Zach Lowe's 6 most intriguing players...Boston's Big 5
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 01:32:10 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I’m so excited for next season to start!

Mmm nicknames? How about 5 Fingers of Death 😜
- LilRip

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 01:34:18 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I've seen The Shamrock 5 floated around.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 01:57:32 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
5 leaf clover?

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 01:59:37 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Nickname?

They don't need no stinking nickname. But after this season you can call them champions.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 02:53:18 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
5 leaf clover?
That's a good one.  Very clever ... tp.  Although, it doesn't exactly instill fear in opponents.