Author Topic: Lakers focusing on 2019 free agency  (Read 2585 times)

Lakers focusing on 2019 free agency
« on: February 06, 2018, 10:31:24 AM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Not super big news, but I posted in the draft section since it directly impacts the pick they owe us this year (2-5).

Because they shifted their focus to 2019, they most likely won’t be big sellers at this years trade deadline.

Honestly,  it’s a long shot that they finish bottom 5 either way, however the impact could be felt on the percentage point chances of the pick being bumped up to pick #2 or #3.

They are a worse team if they don’t have Randle, Clarkson, etc. Now, it’s looking like they’ll both be on the team post-trade deadline.

Thoughts?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22343526/los-angeles-lakers-recalibrating-focus-2019-free-agent-class

Re: Lakers focusing on 2019 free agency
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 10:57:13 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
One of Magic's first dumb comments when he got the GM job is that they expect to be players in the 2018 FA class.  I guess Thunder recent success is lessening the likelihood of PG leaving?

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 10:57:15 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Lebron be too old by 2020 to rebuild on a new team .   He already does not play defense 75 percent of the game ,  stands around and watch , stays out of the fray " explains mostly not hurt" , not back on defense.

Laver know best ....speak it into existence

Lakers had a small window to get get LeFlop before he needs a wheelchair .   Cousins injury , CP3 to the rockets , Griffin to Pistons all but destroys their master plan of three Stars .

LeFlopper might still go to the Lake Clown show,  if nobody else wants him or to deal with his personality and baggage .   But the best they can hope for is PG 3 and LeFlop and ball    Maybe two years of playoffs , but no way they beat GS , Rockets or a Healthy Spurs team.   Sort of the same situation they got into with Kobe ,  not enough good years left to form a title team . 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:06:20 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 11:08:02 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
2019 class consists of the likes of Klay, Butler, Leonard, etc.

If they want to dish out max contracts to Klay and/or Butler, fine by me.

Fortunately, I don't see Kawhi leaving for LAL and even if the Spurs get the sense he is leaving, then I'd assume Spurs want to trade him for value before he does (advantage us?)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 11:08:45 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Because they shifted their focus to 2019, they most likely won’t be big sellers at this years trade deadline.

You mean that they could be sellers at the trade deadline, right? Dump salaries for picks, etc.

If they're focusing on 2019, why not begin cutting now and shoot for a high draft pick in 2019's draft.

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 11:12:12 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
One of Magic's first dumb comments when he got the GM job is that they expect to be players in the 2018 FA class.  I guess Thunder recent success is lessening the likelihood of PG leaving?

Not sure OKC can afford to keep PG3 ?  even if he is happy and wants to stay.

I m predicting PG goes to Clown Show and LeFlop lands with Doc .   Doc is the only coach worth a squirt or of that age group that will tolerate  Lebron s pushy diva attitude.     POP. won't tolerate Leflop not playing defense ,   Leflop won't listen or play defense for anybody but his YES man fake coaches.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 01:24:50 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Translation: the Lakers badly want to move several guys, and the league knows it and has been lowballing them, so they are posting. A lot of the reports we are seeing the past few days are pre deadline posturing.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 02:12:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This doesn't make a lot of sense. I mean, I get that the Lakers don't think they will be players in 2018 FA - they are a mess! But why not try to extract as much value as you can out of your expiring assets now?

Guys like Lopez and Randle should be able to get them back something. And if they really are serious about focusing on 2019, then they should be able to take on salary for next year for their expirings (Lopez, Randle, KCP).

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 02:49:09 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

You mean that they could be sellers at the trade deadline, right? Dump salaries for picks, etc.

If they're focusing on 2019, why not begin cutting now and shoot for a high draft pick in 2019's draft.

Well I thought that they’re perceived motivation to unload Clarkson, Randle, etc was to clear ca space for this upcoming summer.  I suppose they could still trade Randle so that they don’t have to pay him this summer.  However,  I’m assuming they keep Clarkson since they didn’t really need to clear the space right away.

You are correct as well.  They can take a different route and just tank for next season.  Getting rid of those guys certainly would help. 

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 03:20:41 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Woj on ESPN stated Lakers could also take back bad contracts if they came with first rounder(s) for this summer.

Umm, is that really a wise idea when you also consider they have Deng and want to get rid of him?

And they are willing to let Randle walk for nothing OR re-sign him (reducing their cap space for 2019 class)  ???

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 03:30:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Woj on ESPN stated Lakers could also take back bad contracts if they came with first rounder(s) for this summer.

Umm, is that really a wise idea when you also consider they have Deng and want to get rid of him?

And they are willing to let Randle walk for nothing OR re-sign him (reducing their cap space for 2019 class)  ???

Absolutely a wise idea if you’re focusing on 2019 free agency.  Take back salary in 2018 when you aren’t going to use it anyway and get compensation for it.  Gives you more things to trade to get rid of Deng’s contract the following summer when you need to move it.  It’s what I thought the Knicks should have done in our mock free agency instead of paying picks to dump Noah...

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 03:55:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Absolutely a wise idea if you’re focusing on 2019 free agency.  Take back salary in 2018 when you aren’t going to use it anyway and get compensation for it.  Gives you more things to trade to get rid of Deng’s contract the following summer when you need to move it.  It’s what I thought the Knicks should have done in our mock free agency instead of paying picks to dump Noah...

True.

And honestly if I could go back I probably wouldn't have done much in the mock deadline tbh besides the first trade I did. I figured we were supposed to go kind of crazy in it since it is just a "forum mock", but it seems like almost 2/3 the league is standing pat and not even taking "calls" in the mock  :P

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 01:37:37 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
So far, the Lakers have turned down several teams offering second-round picks for Julius Randle, league sources tell ESPN. No one will offer a first with him headed into restricted free agency.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/961488001313443840

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 12:55:52 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Ha ha. What a smokescreen.