Author Topic: Kobe Bryant youngest to 30,000  (Read 3391 times)

Re: Kobe Bryant youngest to 30,000
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 09:04:03 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8718559/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-becomes-youngest-player-nba-history-score-30000-career-points

Yet another reason to hate Kobe...

"This is a franchise, like I've said in the past, guys whose jerseys hang up in the rafters are some of the all-time greats," Bryant said earlier this week. "Not just greats for the franchise. I don't know if there's any other organization that can say that."

Guess he doesn't remember all the retired numbers hanging in Boston.

Hate to say it, but the third greatest Celtic of all time might not be better then the 6th or 7th best Laker of all time. Talking about from an individual greatness standpoint.
you should hate to say it because that would be a lie.

Hmm, 3rd best Celtic would probably be Havlicek (Russell and Bird being 1 and 2).  I'm fully confident that Hondo is a lot better than whoever the Lakers post at 6 or 7 in their franshise's history.

Hey I love the Celtics as much as the next guy, but I think Kane made a fair statement.

If we go with Hondo at #3...

No doubt Wilt, Magic, Kareem, are ahead of him (they're all in the Bird/Russell greatest of all time range).

Then Shaq, Elgin Baylor, and Jerry West, are all ahead of Hondo too.

And like it or not, I think most unbiased people will probably end up putting Kobe higher than Hondo too (as much as it makes me shutter to say that).

You might be able to argue 1-2 of those guys isn't as good as Hondo, but I think most would say those are 7 players better than him.

Back to the Kobe thing though, with so few people at 30k, I think it's kind of weird to say "youngest to" when you're dealing with such a small club.  Like saying the youngest ever to 700 home runs or something.

I still consider top 5 Wilt a Philadelphia player. 

LA brings in a lot more great players from other teams for short pieces of their career. 

Anyone hear the "Kobe top 5 all time" discussion on Mike and Mike this morning? 

Completely disgusted when Bird is mentioned as an after thought. 

Same, but not to the same level with Shaq and Duncan. 

Top level Bird, Shaq and Duncan were never on a team that missed or barely got into the playoffs.  Their teams were contenders. 

Can't say the same thing about Kobe. 

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 10:12:43 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
This doesn't make me hate kobe lol. Its a great accomplishment and hes an all time great however........doesn't he also have like the most missed shots or something like that.

People love to hype up kobe and make him greater than he really is. Problem is the numbers don't at all back up that hype. Yeah he scores alot but he also misses, ALOT, and he takes ALOT of shots.

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 10:28:09 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8718559/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-becomes-youngest-player-nba-history-score-30000-career-points

Yet another reason to hate Kobe...

"This is a franchise, like I've said in the past, guys whose jerseys hang up in the rafters are some of the all-time greats," Bryant said earlier this week. "Not just greats for the franchise. I don't know if there's any other organization that can say that."

Guess he doesn't remember all the retired numbers hanging in Boston.

Hate to say it, but the third greatest Celtic of all time might not be better then the 6th or 7th best Laker of all time. Talking about from an individual greatness standpoint.
Do you really think Wilt and Kareem are Lakers as much as guys like Hondo, Sam Jones, and Cousy are Celtics?

And I sure wouldn't be scared to put any of them up against Gail Goodrich.

Put it this way, their guys only had 6 MVPs while on the Lakers to Boston's 10.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 10:34:23 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Youngest?  Who cares!

MJ did it in 200+ fewer games.

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 11:52:52 AM »

Offline Chelm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
This doesn't make me hate kobe lol. Its a great accomplishment and hes an all time great however........doesn't he also have like the most missed shots or something like that.

People love to hype up kobe and make him greater than he really is. Problem is the numbers don't at all back up that hype. Yeah he scores alot but he also misses, ALOT, and he takes ALOT of shots.
Kobe has the title for the most total missed shots.  MJ has the title for the most missed shots per game.  That's obviously not the best way to judge a player's greatness. 

Not sure how fair that is though, Kobe takes WAY more 3 point attempts than anyone else on the top 10 all-time scoring list, which would skew that against him.  MJ has missed 1700 more 2 point attempts than Kobe.

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 12:34:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
"Age" records like this are meaningless.

Kobe has been in the league since he was 17.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 12:41:10 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
well Jordan could be the all time scoring leader if he wanted too

Jordan retired for about a year 1/2 after his first 3peat, wasn't in basketball shape in his first comeback, and then retired again after his 2nd 3peat...

and he played less years than Kobe...if Jordan REALLY wanted too, he probably have more points than Kareem

and as the above said, age is meaningless...hate to say it but Lebron would probably break that record

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 01:05:56 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
To no surprise EPSN is blowing this out of proportion. Now I'm not saying this isn't impressive, but cmon now. Asking if he is the "best scorer ever?". lol