Author Topic: Doc mentioned how C's need a backup pg on WEEI today  (Read 18449 times)

Re: Doc mentioned how C's need a backup pg on WEEI today
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2013, 09:15:16 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
small need

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2013, 09:16:12 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
He cant even do that now basically if nobody is drawing the defense in and finding him wide open he is useless
So he's pretty much what Ray Allen was for us last year.
Yeah basically still I'd probably rather have Ray >:(
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2013, 09:37:47 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Doc starting Collins at center and then saying he needs a backup PG is like someone almost cutting his arm off with a chainsaw and saying he needs a manicurist instead of a doctor. 

This team desperately needs a true center who can muck up the paint, rebound, and play at least a little offense.

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2013, 10:10:56 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Doc starting Collins at center and then saying he needs a backup PG is like someone almost cutting his arm off with a chainsaw and saying he needs a manicurist instead of a doctor. 

This team desperately needs a true center who can muck up the paint, rebound, and play at least a little offense.

It reeks of what he thinks in his mind as a FORMER GUARD. This was stated the other day in a thread and if it is true it is pure insanity. Looks like we now have some anecdotal evidence of it being true. sad indeed. SMH.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2013, 12:17:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It reeks of what he thinks in his mind as a FORMER GUARD. This was stated the other day in a thread and if it is true it is pure insanity. Looks like we now have some anecdotal evidence of it being true. sad indeed. SMH.
You guys just don't get it do you.\

Do you really believe that Doc doesn't know he needs another starting quality big man? Do you really think that his number one or only priority would be for a back up PG?

He simply mentioned a need of this team, not its most urgent need.

Honestly, the last thing I want my head coach doing is weakening my GMs bargaining position by going public and stating that he needs a starting quality big as his top priority. Everyone in the league might know it but you don't want you coach going out and making such things public.

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2013, 12:31:44 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
We actually are not that worse off when Rondo goes to the bench.

Do I like to see Rondo going to the bench? No.

Do I feel comfortable when Rondo goes to the bench? No.

But the data shows we are pretty much the same output of net production - probably because we are a little bit better defensively and a little bit worse on offense when Rondo goes to the bench.

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2013, 12:45:19 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

But the data shows we are pretty much the same output of net production - probably because we are a little bit better defensively and a little bit worse on offense when Rondo goes to the bench.

I think that's more of a function of the KG 5/5/5 system.  When Rondo goes out near the end of the 1st quarter, KG comes back in, bolstering the defense as the offense takes a hit. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2013, 01:01:21 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Doc sounds like a clown with this comment in my opinion, he's completely incapable of having a backup PG play well for him, the minutes available for backup PG we have about 4 guys able to fill those shoes if we played more like the spurs

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I think that's more of a function of the KG 5/5/5 system.  When Rondo goes out near the end of the 1st quarter, KG comes back in, bolstering the defense as the offense takes a hit.

Other than Terry and Lee playing together have consistently shown better defensive results than most (if not all) of the other PG-SG combinations we've used, namely Rondo and Terry together.

Let me put it this way, in just about any unit you can conceive, you're more than likely to have better defense with Terry and Lee playing together, than Terry with Rondo, yet that's our starting unit.

Lee and Rondo have some effective defensive units, so the key here is using Lee more, not using Rondo more.

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2013, 01:15:23 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He stopped getting time when it became obvious that his idea of "manning the point" is putting his head down and driving to the hoop every time. It gets old quickly.
Wasn't that the point, though? Barbosa tries to find a hole in the defense, and he'll either make a basket, get fouled while shooting (sometimes they even call it), or pass out to someone else.

I actually thought it worked pretty well, honestly.
I thought it worked awesome in like two games and pretty badly the rest of the time.

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2013, 02:44:57 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Other than Terry and Lee playing together have consistently shown better defensive results than most (if not all) of the other PG-SG combinations we've used, namely Rondo and Terry together.

Let me put it this way, in just about any unit you can conceive, you're more than likely to have better defense with Terry and Lee playing together, than Terry with Rondo, yet that's our starting unit.

Lee and Rondo have some effective defensive units, so the key here is using Lee more, not using Rondo more.

The key is using Terry less as a 2-guard, especially against starters: no size to contest well at the position and still vulnerable to penetration.

But my point was the team doesn't get better defensively because Rondo leaves the floor, but mainly because KG typically comes onto the floor when he does leave. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2013, 04:00:51 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He stopped getting time when it became obvious that his idea of "manning the point" is putting his head down and driving to the hoop every time. It gets old quickly.
Wasn't that the point, though? Barbosa tries to find a hole in the defense, and he'll either make a basket, get fouled while shooting (sometimes they even call it), or pass out to someone else.

I actually thought it worked pretty well, honestly.
I thought it worked awesome in like two games and pretty badly the rest of the time.
Of course there's always the option he'll throw up a horrible shot, or turn it over. He got benched when he started doing more of this.

Also, having 4 other teammates picking their nose while you do your shtick isn't awesome in my book :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2013, 04:16:11 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2013, 04:18:13 PM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
Well, Doc got rid of Darko, and we could have used him...stupid move.

Doc has Barbosa rotting away on the bench, and the guy is quick and provides instant offense...stupid move.

I'm sick of Doc - he sounds like a fool.  Just use the guy we already have on this roster.  PG's don't grow on trees - Barbosa is MORE than adequate for this team.

Makes me mad to hear this clown talk...

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2013, 04:19:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Well, Doc got rid of Darko, and we could have used him...stupid move.

Did Doc get rid of him, or was Darko tired of waiting his turn, and quit on the team?  Because I think that is more likely.