Author Topic: I'm reading "Red and Me" and it's AMAZING!  (Read 2538 times)

I'm reading "Red and Me" and it's AMAZING!
« on: July 08, 2011, 02:18:09 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
I checked it out very recently,written by Bill Russell about his coach Red, and so far it's an amazing book. I was born into a culture of Kobe, Tim Duncan, Shaq, Lebron, and so on. I'm only on chapter 4, though, but it's amazing how Bill became so dominant and such a genius at the game of basketball. He changed the game of basketball with defense and very few players even attempted to block/contest shots at the time. Red remains the best coach ever in my opinion, and Russ remains the best player.

Have any of you read this book before? Or even seen the ultimate duo play in real life? Could you tell me more about it/describe his play style? I've been looking around in youtube, and there are only about 3-4 good actual playing footage of him.

I like Marcus Smart

Re: I'm reading "Red and Me" and it's AMAZING!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 02:25:52 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Great read ... TP for taking interest in the history of this amazing franchise. Those of us who grew up with it, take it for granted sometimes. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 04:45:43 PM »

Offline huzy

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • We not Me
This is a nice retrospective from Russell.

If you really want to dive into Celtics history, check out these two:

"Let Me tell You a Story" - John Feinstein
**This is Celtics Gospel. Any self proclaimed Celtic fan should have this prescribed to them.

"Rebound" -Michael Connelly
**A great parallel of Celtics history and Boston's touchy racial history. It also does a great job at diving into the overshadowed 1970's Celtics teams.

If you like Red and Me, you'll love these books.

TP for you...

KEEP READING! The more historically informed Celtics fans, the better!

"      “I can make a trade every day if I want to, but that's not going to help us. A trade that would get us better rarely comes along. They're very difficult to find. Good trades are very difficult in our league and don't happen very often.”
-Danny Ainge

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 06:57:39 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I can suggest several others.  One of my favorites is "Heinsohn, Don't You Ever Smile?" by Tommy Heinsohn. 

Dynasty's End is about the 1968-69 championship team.  This was special for me since that is the team that won me over to being a Celtics fan. 

The Last Banner is also good and details the 1985-86 Celtics championship team and season. 

Another excellent book is Evergreen by Dan Shaughnessy.  And I agree that Let me Tell You a Story is a must read for every Celtics fan.

I love reading about Celtics history and pretty much always have a book going.  Right now I just started The Big Three by Peter May.