Author Topic: These Dirk v Bird comparisons are getting embarrassing  (Read 20141 times)

Re: These Dirk v Bird comparisons are getting embarrassing
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2011, 06:44:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I disagree that the comparisons are embarrassing.  I think Bird was better, but Dirk is good enough that it warrants discussion without sneering.  By my estimation Dirk is probably the 3rd or 4th best player of his generation (those drafted in the mid-late 90s), and he's on the short list of MVP/champions in league history.  It's not embarrassing to compare him to anyone that's played. 

Comparing the (arguably) 3rd or 4th best player that entered the league in a 6-7 year period with someone who's always in the conversation for best player ever is a fairly bad comparison.
If he's in the conversation as best in a given era, its only natural that he be compared to the best of all time.

Though I don't think Dirk is compared to Bird if they both aren't tall white guys.

If Dirk was actually in the conversation for best player of his era, I think you'd be right.  However, Dirk is clearly behind Shaq, Duncan, KG, and Kobe, depending upon how you define the era.  He's got no business being compared to all-time greats, unless you're talking specifically about all-time great shooting big men.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2011, 06:58:47 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Dirk is a fantastic shoter and a pretty darn good scorer. Really, that is about where the comparisons to Larry end. Bird's basketball IQ was far superior. It's amazing to me to read people so often refer to Jordan's ability to take over games at the end and thus decide the outcome.
Bird took over games from the beginning and controlled them througout. He also had the ability to take them over at the end as well and really in more ways then Jorday. Who was the better player? It's really hard to say. I'll take Wilt over anyone.

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2011, 09:18:22 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I disagree that the comparisons are embarrassing.  I think Bird was better, but Dirk is good enough that it warrants discussion without sneering.  By my estimation Dirk is probably the 3rd or 4th best player of his generation (those drafted in the mid-late 90s), and he's on the short list of MVP/champions in league history.  It's not embarrassing to compare him to anyone that's played. 

Comparing the (arguably) 3rd or 4th best player that entered the league in a 6-7 year period with someone who's always in the conversation for best player ever is a fairly bad comparison.
If he's in the conversation as best in a given era, its only natural that he be compared to the best of all time.

Though I don't think Dirk is compared to Bird if they both aren't tall white guys.

If Dirk was actually in the conversation for best player of his era, I think you'd be right.  However, Dirk is clearly behind Shaq, Duncan, KG, and Kobe, depending upon how you define the era.  He's got no business being compared to all-time greats, unless you're talking specifically about all-time great shooting big men.
Dirk is Paul Pierce. Wherever you think Pierce fits in the pantheon of basketball stars, Nowitzki is right next to him.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."