Author Topic: These Dirk v Bird comparisons are getting embarrassing  (Read 20139 times)

These Dirk v Bird comparisons are getting embarrassing
« on: June 04, 2011, 02:11:18 PM »

Offline popcontest

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 34
For example:

Dirk Nowitzki vs. Larry Bird: Who Truly Is the Better of the Two?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/723111-dirk-nowitzki-vs-larry-bird-who-truly-is-the-better-of-the-two
With all due respect to one of the NBA's finest, Mr. Larry Bird, who was in a class of his own. The title of "The White Mamba" between these two, has got to go to Dirk Nowitzki.

I love Dirk, but these comparisons are ridiculous. I'd bet my life this author never saw a single game Larry played in.

Re: These Dirk v Bird comparisons are getting embarrassing
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 02:18:19 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Yeah but that's from bleacher report. You take those with a mountain of salt, if you take them at all.

Bill Simmons said something though in a podcast that was a little jarring (and I'm paraphrasing from memory here, so it isn't an exact quote):

"The question has to be asked. Would you rather have 9 years of elite play from Larry Bird, or 12 years of 'pretty (dang) good' play from Dirk Nowitzki?"

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 02:35:52 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
How are either of them a white mamba?  That's the fastest snake in the world right there.  Maybe JJ Barea.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 02:46:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Read the article and look for the word "pass". It seems to be missing. That pretty much sums up the author's understanding of Bird's game. It's somewhat like comparing Payton to other point guards without mentioning the word "defense".

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 03:05:11 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The other word I didn't see noticed in their comparisons was 'mustache'. Ridiculous.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 03:19:13 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Why is a player better than Kobe competing for the rights to Kobe's nickname in the first place?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 03:25:48 PM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
  Dirk is probably as good as Bird at putting the ball in the hole but the comparisons should end there because Bird was better in every other facet of the game.  Passing, rebounding, and yes....defense.  Bird is possibly the greatest passer I have ever seen.  I don't remember a game going by where he didn't make a pass(or play) that had everyone wondering how the heck he did or saw that play coming.  He was just always it seems two steps ahead of everyone else on the floor.  There was only one Larry Bird and people should just stop looking for another one to come along because it simply isn't going to happen IMO.  He was so great in his prime that he had to invent games within the game to stave off boredom and this was playing during one of the greatest, most competitive era's in NBA history.

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 03:27:07 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Dirk can score like Bird, that's it. He can't pass like him, handle the ball like him, defend like him, or rebound like him...

It makes me look back at how great Bird really was. Dirk is a top 5-10 player in the league and he's comparable with Bird for just his shooting/scoring... imagine if Dirk could do all the other things Larry did? Bird really is the GOAT.

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 03:38:57 PM »

Offline Dante

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
Larry is the small forward of the All Time NBA Team. End of discussion. Duncan is the best PF. Wilt is top Center. Magic is the best PG. Jordan is the best SG. This has already been decided by the Powers that Be.  There are other extraordinary players besides those 5. Good luck with your favorites.
 We will have to see as they get challenged in time with the likes of the new Lebrons, Durands, etc. Only time will tell.

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 04:54:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
For example:

Dirk Nowitzki vs. Larry Bird: Who Truly Is the Better of the Two?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/723111-dirk-nowitzki-vs-larry-bird-who-truly-is-the-better-of-the-two
With all due respect to one of the NBA's finest, Mr. Larry Bird, who was in a class of his own. The title of "The White Mamba" between these two, has got to go to Dirk Nowitzki.

I love Dirk, but these comparisons are ridiculous. I'd bet my life this author never saw a single game Larry played in.
HA!  Let's start comparing Jason Kidd and Magic Johnson too! 

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 07:06:32 PM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
  Larry Bird in 1986 was at the height of his powers and at that point was in my mind the greatest basketball player who ever lived.  He could beat you in more ways then Jordan or anyone else could.  His all out all the time style of play resulted in his body breaking down prematurely and cost him the longevity to rank higher then Jordan when comparing their careers but no player in my eyes was ever better then the mid 80's Larry Bird.  Those who aren't old enough to have  seen him then really missed a one of a kind basketball genius.

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 07:10:39 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Read the article and look for the word "pass". It seems to be missing. That pretty much sums up the author's understanding of Bird's game. It's somewhat like comparing Payton to other point guards without mentioning the word "defense".

To be fair, Dirk has been making some very good passes recently.  But yeah, the only real comparison seems to be in their ability to score, and Bird obviously did a lot more than score.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 10:35:39 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
He cant rebound like Bird? hes been right below  Birds career average for years. and Dirk has averaged 21+ points a game for 11 seasons..same as bird did and dirk seems to have an extended prime and will play for years longer.
Bird was a better ball handler and by far the better passer, but he wasnt a 7 footer either.
Theres comparisons to be made but ultimately theyre different...even if dirk isnt bird in my opionion hes been one of the best and underappreciated players by fans in this era

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 10:37:59 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176

To be fair, Dirk has been making some very good passes recently.  But yeah, the only real comparison seems to be in their ability to score, and Bird obviously did a lot more than score.
dirk doesnt do more than score? not as much as bird did but cmon

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 11:07:32 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

dirk doesnt do more than score? not as much as bird did but cmon

Dirk does a lot more than score, sure.  But he doesn't do anything anywhere near Larry's level other than score. 
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers