Author Topic: Bill Russell--wow  (Read 15340 times)

Re: Bill Russell--wow
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 06:59:11 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I remember Russell being asked - several years ago - how he would have done against a then in-his-prime Shaq.  Loved his response...."a better question would be how would Shaq do against me".

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 08:34:47 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
“We won,” Russell said, “because of comradeship, friendship and teamwork.”

And people are still arguing over why we lost?!?!??!

you nailed it. thank you.

Danny was thinking like a Laker and not like a Celtic.

Though let's not pretend like Russell played with the same core his entire tenure.  He started with Cousy, Sharman, and Heinsohn, and ended with the Joneses and Sanders. 

Furthermore, let's not forget that Red traded away 1981 Finals MVP Cedric Maxwell and playoff hero Gerald Henderson. 

Maybe we lost this year because we traded Perk (though I think Rondo's injury played a much bigger part).  But let's not romanticize the past and pretend that Russell's Celtics had the same core the whole time and didn't have to deal with change or that the Celtics have never traded away members of its core during a title run. 

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 09:58:49 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 63

Who's arguing?  Everyone knows the Celtics lost because Rondo was playing with one arm.......

Obviously Dwayne Wade regarded Rondo as a real threat to the Heat's championship chances. 

Do you really believe what that quote implies or is there a tongue in cheek thing that I am not getting?

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 10:38:24 PM »

Offline 17wasEZ

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39

Who's arguing?  Everyone knows the Celtics lost because Rondo was playing with one arm.......

Obviously Dwayne Wade regarded Rondo as a real threat to the Heat's championship chances. 

Do you really believe what that quote implies or is there a tongue in cheek thing that I am not getting?

Shhhhhhh, keep it down.  Believe it or not, there are some people who believe that Wade purposely hurt Rondo.

There are also others that seem to believe that Danny traded away a healthy Perkins.

We all think we know more than we really do....

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 10:41:16 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I never saw Russell play but have read a lot about him. I am always amazed when I read someone say that he would be only a marginal player in today's game. That is incredible to me that people, fans even, are that near sighted. So he played 45 years ago? Bird played almost 20 years ago, does that make him less of a player?

I like the person's comment above about how Russ was such a cerebral player. When you combine that ability with his athleticism and killer instinct and you have a very, very special athlete. Bird had two of those three in abundance but was never gifted with Russell's athleticism. It's too bad that defense is so underrated. I guess it's because there are not always stats for it.

I never understood that mentality either.

Granted, today's athlete across all the sports are bigger, faster, and stronger. But that isn't because they are more athletic or more talented, it's mainly because of the advancements in training, supplements, nutrition and medicine.

And although it doesn't really apply to basketball, unless you want to talk about the sneakers, balls, and rims, the equipment is significantly better. Bats are made of better wood, baseballs are much tighter, and mitts are top-notch. Golf clubs are light years ahead of what players just 30+ years ago used, and so are the golf balls. Tennis rackets, hockey sticks, football helmets/pads, etc. are all to the advantage of today's athlete.

There's no real reason to think athletes today are superior to their predecessors. Talent is talent. The only grey area is rule changes.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 02:00:29 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
“That’s quite a twist, isn’t it, having a defensive player mean the difference?” said Kundla. “We don’t fear the Celtics without Bill Russell. Take him out and we can beat them … He’s the guy who whipped us psychologically. Russell has our club worrying every second. Every one of the five men is thinking Russell is covering him on every play. He blocks a shot, and before you know it, Boston is getting a basket, and a play by Russell has done it.”
Awesome
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 02:08:21 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Does anybody know where we can watch some of these old throwback games in full?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 10:18:51 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
People seem to think players are more athletic now. Competing in track in college, Russell was the 7th ranked high jumper in the world in 1956. He also ran the 440 in under 50 seconds. I would be very surprised if there is a single power forward or center in the NBA today that could run that fast.

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 12:13:59 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
By today's standards Russell was very skinny and very short. However he had a big wingspan and was a tremendous leaper and more importantly he could jump straight up and still have control of his hands.(everyone has a tendency to jump at the shooter but Russell had a great controlled leap).  It meant he could actually block/catch the ball instead of swatting it like everyone else. No one has been able to do it like that before, during, or after he played. Being able to block a shot without fouling became his personal art form. And his ability to be prepare to block a shot with one hand and stop the wraparound pass with the other is unparalleled.

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 12:22:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I remember, at least 10-15 years ago, listening to an interview on the radio, I think with Sam Jones. He was asked the reason that they had so much postseason success. He stated that salaries left a lot to be desired and one of the main motivations was that the players *needed* the bonus money for winning the playoffs.

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 12:35:04 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
It is hard to contemplate how much greater than Russell would have been had he gotten officiated like Jordan or the messiah...Or even with what Dwight Howard exclusively gets away with defensively.  Russell was already the greatest player ever based on his gifts.

Unlike Jordan and the messiah, Russell didn't need the official's help.

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
It is hard to contemplate how much greater than Russell would have been had he gotten officiated like Jordan or the messiah...Or even with what Dwight Howard exclusively gets away with defensively.  Russell was already the greatest player ever based on his gifts.

Unlike Jordan and the messiah, Russell didn't need the official's help.

I'd really like to know how many FTs Wilt would've averaged if he played today and got the LeBron treatment.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 10:54:16 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

Yes, because "comradeship, friendship, and teamwork" are nice, abstract concepts.  You don't win a championship just by having a team o guys that really like each other and work together.  You have to get a championship roster and then get them to like each other and work together.

They lost this year because of the guys they were able to put on the court (or lackthereof), not how well those guys worked together.

and thats why we cant blame doc...

he stressed trusting one another..

doc did his job

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2011, 11:58:32 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

Yes, because "comradeship, friendship, and teamwork" are nice, abstract concepts.  You don't win a championship just by having a team o guys that really like each other and work together.  You have to get a championship roster and then get them to like each other and work together.

They lost this year because of the guys they were able to put on the court (or lackthereof), not how well those guys worked together.

and thats why we cant blame doc...

he stressed trusting one another..

doc did his job

Doc can also be blamed.  His rotations are pitiful.
do it

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2011, 12:22:13 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

And we had four of the best players in the league this season, as you know.

Um . . .

We had maybe the 5th best point guard, the 4th or 5th best shooting guard, the 3rd or 4th best small forward, and maybe one of the best 10 big men in the league. 

That's certainly a nice collection of talent, but without a very good supporting cast it's not a championship worthy bunch -- especially if it's severely lacking in one area, as our team was (scoring -- particularly inside).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:27:17 AM by PosImpos »
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers