Author Topic: Danny ainge has another shot at revamping the bench  (Read 21226 times)

Re: Danny ainge has another shot at revamping the bench
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2008, 12:41:46 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Mutumbo would be a steal for us. No matter how old he is, he is still a rebounding/shot blocking giant with decades of experience. He would be the PJ replacement. As for Posey, there is no replacement. My fix for the Posey loss is more minutes for Pierce on the floor, and an experienced SF with 3point range. Stackhouse would be awesome, as would a revamped Antoine. Walker is definitely questionable b/c of his conditioning, but if we could utilize his ability to drive in, and hope he passes, then players like House and Ray could get open looks. Stackhouse would provide an efficiency on both sides of the ball. Tony Allen could then go back to his natural position at SG, and let him be a slasher instead of a bad shooter. BBD is proven to be worthless at this point. He does prevent Powe from making big baskets, and causes the starters to have to come back in too soon(p---ed off) and play come back with bad shots by Ray and Rondo.
To fix our roster, Cassell can be cut. No problem. And Scal and or BBD could be traded for ANYTHING...money, trade exceptions, 60th 2nd round pick, whatever. Joe Smith is another player that we should work to get. He could work behind KG to keep the offense going.

Waive Cassell. Trade Scal and BBD to OKC for Joe Smith
Pray that Cuban lets Stackhouse go so we can sign him.
Sign Mutumbo.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2008, 01:00:34 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
it's too bad...he looks a bit like terry cummings, but sure doesn't play nothing like him.  guess milwaukee is giving up on him. 

he's overrated, but i agree that he'd look nice on our bench.

Can play both forward spots at least and he's 6ft11.

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2008, 01:11:40 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
aaaaaa...danny better be looking to upgrade the bench NOW after that turd fest in Golden State

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2008, 01:41:50 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
How about these trade ideas:

T.A. and Scals for Josh Boone, Nahera, & S. Wms.

Many of you might be wondering why.  Let me explain.  NJ wants to match the contract offer for Kristic and therefore they have to do a 2-1 or 3-2 quickly.  Their hands are really forced time-wise at the moment.  We would get two big men and a guy in Nahera that is a superb defender and moves very well for 6'8" and one that can help guard LeBron.  Yes, we would have to waive a player or move Sam to coaching.

http://www.realgm.com/src_tradechecker/3/

Another move that could be done later to address our weakness at PG, as clearly evident in the Laker game is moving Big Baby for Sergio Rodriquez, esp. since we are getting two more big men in the above trade.

http://www.realgm.com/src_tradechecker/3/

Thoughts??

« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2008, 01:44:59 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Landry makes as much as Villanua and Lue?

I was actually thinking Charlie V might not be bad off our bench.

Landry and Head make Villanueva and Mihm.
Mihm makes Lue.
Villanueva and Lue makes Landry and Head.

« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2008, 01:47:19 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
(...)
Thoughts??

Both teams have to agree with any given deal.

There's 0 chances that either NJ or POR agree with those deals. Zero, nada, niente, rien, none. It's not going to happen.

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2008, 01:52:22 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i look at houston and am very jealous...they have depth.....their 1-12 can all contribute if needed....

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2008, 02:59:38 AM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
I'm looking forward to seeing Joe Smith or Mutombo in Green. Smith was a major factor against us when in Cleveland last year. He was the Cavs best low post presence, in fact. I think he could be that guy for us in a 25 minute off the bench  role.

« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2008, 06:19:16 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
I would go for a trade to move four Celts for 2 quality players - possibly Powe, BBD, TA  and Sam for Stackhouse/Diop or even Frye with a pick. Then bring in Mutombo and possibly Keith Van Horn (if he kept himself fit for the past year).

« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2008, 08:56:48 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
The only guy on our bench who I consider to be a good solid player is Powe. After Leon Powe our entire bench is probably easily upgradeable at every position. Our entire bench rotation is undersized, or flawed.

House the severly undersized 2g who can only shoot.
Tony a turnover prone SF trapped in a short SG Body.
Powe undersized PF, yet still affective.
BBD inaffective undersized PF/C

If Doc doesn't want to allow younger players more minutes on the bench he should play more starters with them. The Bench how it's currently being used is just good enough. I think Rondo & Perk should play with the bench the same way Pierce & Allen do. With Rondo on the floor with House and TA there'd be much needed play making on the bench. With Perk on the floor we wouldn't be as undersized as when we have BBD and Powe together and the defense would be improved. Maybe start having to starters on the floor at the same time, for as long as possible.

« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2008, 10:47:14 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Cordobes,

Here is WHY the Nets might do the first deal:  http://www.nba.com/playerfile/nenad_krstic/career_stats.html

Notice Nenad's stats before he got hurt?????

Notice that I also mentioned throwing in a second or first round pick to get Sergio??  How does a first rounder and Davis not get it done??  How?  Sergio is their third string PG and they really want to trade for Conley anyways and this might make that more likely.

Smitty77

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2008, 11:13:12 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Cordobes,

Here is WHY the Nets might do the first deal:  http://www.nba.com/playerfile/nenad_krstic/career_stats.html

Notice Nenad's stats before he got hurt?????

Notice that I also mentioned throwing in a second or first round pick to get Sergio??  How does a first rounder and Davis not get it done??  How?  Sergio is their third string PG and they really want to trade for Conley anyways and this might make that more likely.

Smitty77

Haven't the Nets announced they aren't interested on matching Krstic's salary sheet? I think they will pass on it. Even if they wanted to match it, they'd just waive someone like Ager, I think, or trade him for a team with a trade exception. Or they could trade those guys. But don't you think they can get much better value? Najera is Scalabrine, even the contracts are identical. So, what you're saying is that they'd trade two centers with size and on their rookie deals for Tony Allen, who they could have signed for cheap in the pre-season if they were interested, probably to bury him behind Carter, Hassell and CDR. I'm not even interested on Najera and Williams (Boone would be decent), but the Nets can make much better than this.

We don't have a 1st rounder to thrown in, sorry to break it for you. Why does Portland wants Big Baby? Sergio is their backup PG, BBD would probably get Ike Diogu minutes - 50 so far.

« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2008, 11:50:36 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
It looks like Deke is not walking through that door..  :(

ETA:

“No, I don’t think we’re going to get him,” said Rivers. “We talked to David (Falk, Mutombo’s agent) and I would say it’s a no.

“We would love him, but we’re going to wait it out.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/2008_12_27_Defeat_reveals_big_problem/
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 11:55:45 AM by cordobes »

« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2008, 09:13:08 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The only guy on our bench who I consider to be a good solid player is Powe. After Leon Powe our entire bench is probably easily upgradeable at every position. Our entire bench rotation is undersized, or flawed.

If Doc doesn't want to allow younger players more minutes on the bench he should play more starters with them. The Bench how it's currently being used is just good enough. I think Rondo & Perk should play with the bench the same way Pierce & Allen do. With Rondo on the floor with House and TA there'd be much needed play making on the bench. With Perk on the floor we wouldn't be as undersized as when we have BBD and Powe together and the defense would be improved. Maybe start having to starters on the floor at the same time, for as long as possible.

TP

This is a good analysis of the current mess. Until the bench gets upgraded - and I agree that Powe is the only real keeper of the bunch - then you simply cannot run four of them out together. Three is a lot.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2008, 09:53:43 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80

TP

This is a good analysis of the current mess. Until the bench gets upgraded - and I agree that Powe is the only real keeper of the bunch - then you simply cannot run four of them out together. Three is a lot.

Powe continually gets a pass because of his play last year, but the guy has regressed from last year  and is just as inconsistent as TA. His minutes are up this year and his points, rebounds, FG%, FT% are all down while his turnovers are up. He is a huge black whole on offense, doesnt even look to pass and unless he gets a wide open look for a layup off a pass from Rondo or PP he throws up crazy shots at the rim just like Tony. He is a way below average help defender and not very good man to man either, the only thing he does on defense is take charges. Heres his points in each game since Nov 1.

9, 1, 11, 10, 6, 4, 4, 1, 6, 14, 7, 10, 8, 3, 10, 3, 2, 2, 14, 5, 7, 6, 1, 4, 6, 10, 15, 1, 12.

That is not really the model for consistancy, Doc has obviously noticed as the only time Powe has played more than 18 minutes all month was yesterday in a spot start, He is down from 17 mpg in November to 14 a game this month and its only that high because of his start yesterday. Im not even arguing that TA has been great this year but he has been more consistant than Powe and arguably better but you never see these threads about Leon. Its a weak double standard, everybody likes Powe because he is a good story so he gets a pass while everyone rags on TA. Id love to see this team get Joe Smith, he'd be a perfect backup pf, he would also stretch the floor and open things up inside for our wings more.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 09:59:29 PM by Big_Matt34 »