Author Topic: When IS the right time to panic?  (Read 6458 times)

Re: When IS the right time to panic?
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2018, 07:56:23 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Now

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2018, 08:32:11 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Why even think about panicking this early? What does this team look like if Hayward is just even a bit healthier? How about if Horford hadnt been injured recently? And, if Wiliams has notched maybe 500 season minutes?

Let the team play another 20 games and if they don't improve then maybe some changes need to be made.

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2018, 08:38:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think we have enough evidence to expect that the Celtics will almost certainly not have a top 2-3 record in the east.  That means it will be very difficult for them to make it to the Finals, given how important HCA was last season.

If that's a basis for panic for you, then I would say the time is ripe for a little bit of panic.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2018, 09:04:25 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
I think we have enough evidence to expect that the Celtics will almost certainly not have a top 2-3 record in the east.  That means it will be very difficult for them to make it to the Finals, given how important HCA was last season.

If that's a basis for panic for you, then I would say the time is ripe for a little bit of panic.

Home court is not nearly as important this year for us. It was mainly a factor last year due to relying so heavily on young players, who were affected much more  by the fans. If Gordon is anywhere near the player he was pre-injury by the playoffs, I’m not nearly as worried about home court advantage with Kyrie and Gordon this time around, let alone a much more experienced group of youngsters who have been there already.

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2018, 11:01:33 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

I kind of have to disagree with the 'certainly not have a top 2-3 record in the east' part of your post.  We are 3 games out of the 3 spot.  We have lost a few games that we shouldn't have, but making up 3 games isn't impossible with 3/4 of the season left. 

If we are 10 games out of 1-3 at the all star break then yeah I will agree with you.

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2018, 11:39:13 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!

Home court is not nearly as important this year for us. It was mainly a factor last year due to relying so heavily on young players, who were affected much more  by the fans. If Gordon is anywhere near the player he was pre-injury by the playoffs, I’m not nearly as worried about home court advantage with Kyrie and Gordon this time around, let alone a much more experienced group of youngsters who have been there already.

I tend to agree. I just want this team to start playing up to their capabilities consistently. If that takes some roster shuffling due to a trade so be it.

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2018, 11:40:13 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Okay, I'm there. Of course, I had the misfortune of actually being at the Knicks game the other night, which makes it feel that much worse.

Mike

My condolences.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2018, 12:44:26 AM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I’d say about 25 games.

And I think we are close to turning the corner.

I personally don’t care about dropping some games we should win if we are seeing signs of success. Clearly we aren’t right now. Hayward’s struggles are understandable. The rest, not so much. Horford has been pretty bad, so has Brown, Smart, and even Baynes. Tatum has been good (although inconsistent), but certainly hasn’t taken a major leap. Rozier has been rather awful. Kyrie has been pretty impressive since November started, and Morris has been our MVP thus far.

This isn’t a Hayward or Stevens issue, it’s a Celtics issue. And they need to figure it out soon before they put themselves in too big a hole to climb out of. Can they win the East without HCA? Absolutely. Do they really want to go through the 5th-, 1st-, and then 2nd-best records to then get to the West’s best?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2018, 01:11:24 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
The first quarter of most of our losses is predictable.
Brad starts with Horford as center, so the other team drives to the basket or posts up their biggest guy, and we are overpowered because we are too small.
By the end of the quarter we are way behind and having to play catch up the entire game.

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2018, 01:12:36 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I kind of have to disagree with the 'certainly not have a top 2-3 record in the east' part of your post.  We are 3 games out of the 3 spot.  We have lost a few games that we shouldn't have, but making up 3 games isn't impossible with 3/4 of the season left. 

If we are 10 games out of 1-3 at the all star break then yeah I will agree with you.

It's possible they start playing at a 55 win pace very soon and secure a top 3 spot, but given how things have been going I expect the struggles to continue for a while. I think they'll still be around .500 come Christmas time.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2018, 08:55:14 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Okay, I'm there. Of course, I had the misfortune of actually being at the Knicks game the other night, which makes it feel that much worse.

Mike

My condolences.

Thank you. My season ticket rep says that I'm not entitled to my money back, even though the Celtics didn't show up for the game.

Mike

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2018, 09:24:48 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Brad starts with Horford as center, so the other team drives to the basket or posts up their biggest guy, and we are overpowered because we are too small.
By the end of the quarter we are way behind and having to play catch up the entire game.

We've lost a lot more games due to the Celts failing to hit the broad side of a barn and/or the other team going nuts from outside.

The biggest issue for the team at the moment is they are a poor shooting team that doesn't create looks inside or generate free throws.  Horford should be part of the solution there, and the team is a lot harder to guard with Horford at center.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2018, 09:56:42 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

We've lost a lot more games due to the Celts failing to hit the broad side of a barn and/or the other team going nuts from outside.

The biggest issue for the team at the moment is they are a poor shooting team that doesn't create looks inside or generate free throws.  Horford should be part of the solution there, and the team is a lot harder to guard with Horford at center.

The shooting is mind boggling as it seems like most of the time they are generating good looks.

Only Morris and Smart(still not good) have shooting percentages at least as good as they were last year.  The rest of the rotation is shooting worse than last year, and in some cases substantially worse.

You would think with the law of averages many of these guys are due for hot streaks, but who knows.  20 games is usually a good barometer for a good feel for the team.  Maybe with new roles for some players (especially the younger ones), and 2 guys especially Hayward coming back from a devastating injury we should give them more leeway.  After all it’s not even December yet.  Maybe if we are close to the trade deadline, and still in this rut it will be time to panic.

« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2018, 10:09:45 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
When facing an elimination game in April, May, or June.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2018, 10:14:55 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
plenty of talent .

This thing starts with CBS messing too much with what worked to get Hayward back in a starting role.

Hayward should have cone off the bench until the team was clicking and let time see to his role of a starter .  He never was established as a starter ,   now that he is off his prime , this has thrown a monkey wrench into the smoothness of the offense.  He has played ok for someone in his situation.  But,  i feel this has hurt the cohension of last years group, who played excellent with Irving .