Author Topic: The Durant-Irving deception  (Read 9788 times)

Re: The Durant-Irving deception
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2019, 11:11:12 PM »

Offline Never Nervous Pervis

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
The idea that Durant would give up more than $6 million next year to opt in and be traded is extremely flawed. Durant took a couple million less to sign with a 73 win team. He signed 1+1 contracts with the goal of cashing in on his 10 year vet, 35% of the cap status eventually. That time is now.

He just had a serious injury scare. Is Durant going to opt in for $6.7 million less, forgo his plan to get that 4 year contract at 35% of the cap, risk injury in that year that could cost him over $100 million just to play with Kyrie in Boston? Would you do that? Would any agent with even a spec of intelligence advise Durant to do that?

All excellent points, and I think the chance Durant does this is small. With that said:

1. Durant seriously considered Boston in 2016.

2. Durant wanted to to play in Boston in part because of his friendship with Al Horford.

3. Durant is good friends with Kyrie and their futures have been tied together all year.

4. Durant has praised Boston many times on the Bill Simmons podcast. The organization, the history, the current players. (He even likes Baynes.) He appreciates how great it is to play in Boston. Not everyone gets that.

5. Durant has made enough money to consider his legacy now. He also makes more in endorsements per year than probably half the league in salary. Finally, Durant made a ton of money in tech during his 3 years in the Bay Area, and is well-leveraged to continue wherever he goes.

6. Durant can just as easily get a new super-max deal next summer.

7. Durant is a fan of Larry Bird. https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/1074913094218862592

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2019, 11:25:04 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Lou Williams is a 31-year-old 6th man signed to a 3 year $24 million dollar contract (with only $1.5 million guaranteed in the final year).
How is CP3 34 (B-Day May 6 1985) and Lou Williams 31 (B-Day Oct. 27 1986), one of them fall into a time warp? If so I think that'd make the news!  ;D

I guess if you don't value contending then yes trading for Chris Paul is a bad move. I don't agree, they went for it with Harden in his prime and I'm happy they did made for better basketball to watch. The end of that contract is definitely ugly.

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2019, 11:37:17 PM »

• Sam Hauser
Lou Williams is a 31-year-old 6th man signed to a 3 year $24 million dollar contract (with only $1.5 million guaranteed in the final year).
How is CP3 34 (B-Day May 6 1985) and Lou Williams 31 (B-Day Oct. 27 1986), one of them fall into a time warp? If so I think that'd make the news!  ;D

I guess if you don't value contending then yes trading for Chris Paul is a bad move. I don't agree, they went for it with Harden in his prime and I'm happy they did made for better basketball to watch. The end of that contract is definitely ugly.

My bad. Williams is 32, not 31. Still younger than Paul.

My larger point remains. The CP3 trade was a good haul for the Clippers. Durant, if he opts in, should command far more.

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2019, 01:52:41 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
A trade with Golden State for Durant would start with Hayward/Horford, Tatum/Brown (if not both), and at least two first rounders.

Not likely, IMO.  Everyone would know that to be a gross overpay.

It's not an overpay if it's legitimately the only chance the Celtics have to get the most skilled player in the NBA. The second Durant opts out, the Celtics are out of the mix.

Of course it's an overpay.  Whether you, or the Celtics, are willing to be taken to the cleaners in order to get the player is a separate issue.

LOL @ getting "taken to the cleaners." On what planet is acquiring the best player in the world (IMO) for an overpaid veteran, a young talent coming off a disappointing second year, and a couple of late firsts an overpay? By KD opting in to his contract it would be the same as acquiring Anthony Davis for one year.

Well, one obvious occasion would be when the second team had no chance to keep the player, and was just serving to facilitate.  At that point, the only thing that second team is actually trading is the salary slot.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2019, 04:57:56 AM »

Offline JAH1892

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
My instinct is Durant is a ‘legacy guy’ and wants to be the first to win 3 rings in both conferences. Boston represents best chance for this IMO. I think he’s a bit upset no one is debating whether he’s a contender for GOAT

The idea that Durant would give up more than $6 million next year to opt in and be traded is extremely flawed. Durant took a couple million less to sign with a 73 win team. He signed 1+1 contracts with the goal of cashing in on his 10 year vet, 35% of the cap status eventually. That time is now.

He just had a serious injury scare. Is Durant going to opt in for $6.7 million less, forgo his plan to get that 4 year contract at 35% of the cap, risk injury in that year that could cost him over $100 million just to play with Kyrie in Boston? Would you do that? Would any agent with even a spec of intelligence advise Durant to do that?

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2019, 05:06:03 AM »

Offline JAH1892

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Some great points. Add to it the comments around his draft year where Boston had worst record, Ainge has been plotting for Durant  for 15 years imo

All excellent points, and I think the chance Durant does this is small. With that said:

1. Durant seriously considered Boston in 2016.

2. Durant wanted to to play in Boston in part because of his friendship with Al Horford.

3. Durant is good friends with Kyrie and their futures have been tied together all year.

4. Durant has praised Boston many times on the Bill Simmons podcast. The organization, the history, the current players. (He even likes Baynes.) He appreciates how great it is to play in Boston. Not everyone gets that.

5. Durant has made enough money to consider his legacy now. He also makes more in endorsements per year than probably half the league in salary. Finally, Durant made a ton of money in tech during his 3 years in the Bay Area, and is well-leveraged to continue wherever he goes.

6. Durant can just as easily get a new super-max deal next summer.

7. Durant is a fan of Larry Bird. https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/1074913094218862592

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2019, 06:02:45 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Yes I think he considers it. How much would you pay for legacy? He has an opportunity to be considered one of, if not the, best of all time. Leading a storied franchise is a huge notch in his belt.

In terms of injury I can certainly understand the risk, however precedent on this team suggests that his minutes will be well managed. I look at Horford as an example of this.

Also he isn't coming here just to play with Kyrie, playing with Al is also a big draw, the franchise itself is a draw, the ability to enhance his legacy is a draw.

I'm not saying it will happen because a lot needs to go the right way. I'm just putting it forward that I think this is their first choice.

I don't see how we aren't favourites with a starting lineup of Irving, Brown/Smart, Tatum, Durant, Horford

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2019, 06:28:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

My bad. Williams is 32, not 31. Still younger than Paul.

My larger point remains. The CP3 trade was a good haul for the Clippers. Durant, if he opts in, should command far more.
a lot of that "haul" was quite simply because Houston didn't have any big salaries and just had to keep adding people to make the salaries work.  I mean they went out and signed people just to trade them in the trade. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2019, 07:04:49 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
There is so much talk in the media about ''building own legacy''. I just don't see why would anyone choose to go somewhere to build his own legacy over a championship team that he's part of now. It makes no sense and I believe there's no reality in this. It's only a product of the media to shake some organizations and make the market more active.
If Durant would choose uncertainty and that's exactly what Knicks organization is - insecure and risky, rather than Warriors, I would say he was insane.

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2019, 08:00:57 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
There is so much talk in the media about ''building own legacy''. I just don't see why would anyone choose to go somewhere to build his own legacy over a championship team that he's part of now. It makes no sense and I believe there's no reality in this. It's only a product of the media to shake some organizations and make the market more active.
If Durant would choose uncertainty and that's exactly what Knicks organization is - insecure and risky, rather than Warriors, I would say he was insane.

There's no way he goes to New York alone, that would be a bad move. Moving there to form a superteam isn't a bad move.

Why did Lebron go to the Lakers? Why did he return to Cleveland? Legacy is important to these guys, they absolutely have ego (who wouldn't?) and it's important to them where they will sit in the hierarchy of all time greats. Durant would be best served staying in Golden State but it isn't his team (shown again in the WCF) and he does seem to want a team that he leads to a championship.

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2019, 11:46:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The idea of legacy driving an athlete to the point of opting into a deal for $6.7 million less for a year and putting into jeopardy a 4 year $160+ million contract makes zero sense to me.

Durant has been planning to jump into this contract for years. IMO, Durant's strive for legacy will be on a 4 year contract where he will get paid in NYK, BKN, GSW or LAC.

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2019, 12:11:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The idea of legacy driving an athlete to the point of opting into a deal for $6.7 million less for a year and putting into jeopardy a 4 year $160+ million contract makes zero sense to me.

Durant has been planning to jump into this contract for years. IMO, Durant's strive for legacy will be on a 4 year contract where he will get paid in NYK, BKN, GSW or LAC.

GSW also have to pay Thompson and then Draymond Green right around the corner

Just can't see them paying all of these guys max level dollars

The owner has already stated that he wants Curry and Thompson to be GSW lifers.   Draymond Green is beloved there also.   

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2019, 01:14:21 PM »

• Sam Hauser

Durant's taken less several times to help Golden State. Why is that so hard to fathom now? And why are you ignoring his other revenue streams?

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2019, 01:15:02 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

It is certainly a gamble on his part, but not out of the question imo.

I think that even if, god forbid, he had a Hayward like injury he is probably getting close to the max should he opt in.

I mean he is durant, someone will always pay a guy like that.

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2019, 01:16:48 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Durant's taken less several times to help Golden State. Why is that so hard to fathom now? And why are you ignoring his other revenue streams?

He has stated numerous times that he will not take anything less than the max next year. So I cannot see him agreeing to taking her again another pay cut...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different