Author Topic: ShamWow: Celtics + Cavs actively talking Kyrie/IT swap (UPDATE: Deal Done Did)  (Read 47762 times)

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think after the injury news most were on board with the trade. Irving isn't the chucker that I expected though. He really wants the "team" to be good. No hogging the ball or holding it unless a game is tight at the very end. If he is so, okay with sacrifice makes me wonder how bad were things in Cleveland or if LeBron actually gave Irving a heads up that he was leaving?

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'm more excited than I was at the time. After watching Irving play, his potential is elite. He has great vision, but he is still struggling with timing. Sometimes, it would be better for him to keep the ball moving, but that might be more about other guys not being in the right place. His offense is so good, and when his timing catches up, he will be dropping 30 a game.

Also, he has been a net positive defensively. He's not been perfect. He has gotten lost a few times and played oley defense a few times, but the vast majority of the time he has been in the right place, playing hard, and being disruptive (steals, blocks, and charges). Although he is a mismatch on some switches, he is not nearly the mismatch I thought he would be. In fact, he's made some disruptive plays in those situations. He has a 97 defensive rating through 5 games. That's a small sample size, but its also elite. He has a 1.8 DBPM. That's really good. Not only has been not been a net negative on defense, he's actually been really good.

I'm excited for his potential on this team. I'm excited at the way he has connected with Rozier, Tatum, and Horford on the court. I'm excited to shut everyone up and claim the #1 seed again this year without Gordon Hayward (i mean, seriously Irving=Thomas, Brown>Bradley, Tatum>Crowder, Baynes>Johnson, Horford=Horford, 2017-18 bench>2016-17 bench). I'm excited for the Cavs to implode as Lebron watches Kyrie put up 50 points in game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals. I'm excited to see Hayward work his way back into shape throughout the playoffs and be ready to go full-tilt against the Warriors. I'm excited for another Celtic Championship.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
It's kind of funny reading the posts made on this thread (including from me)  :laugh:

I know it's early, but 5 games and about 2 weeks in, anyone's thoughts change about this trade?
You can't really do much analyzing until you see what Thomas looks like when he comes back.

Eh... honestly this is a very shallow look at the trade.  You make it because you don't want to pay IT his max money long term foremost and nothing has changed there in any case.

Meanwhile, Kyrie starting to really produce and his defense is substantially better than IT's ever was already.  They can pay him less than IT when his next contract comes up.  The trade was great.

Meanwhile, the Nets look better.  Celtics picked up that Lakers pick.  Everyone should be very happy.
Um, there is no way Irving signs for less money than Thomas.  The trade just delayed that money 1 year.

Who would you feel comfortable giving max money to.... Kyrie or IT?

I love IT, but you have to give a max to Kyrie, especially since he's a 20/6 player that is 25.
what does that have to do with anything.  I was responding to the statement that "They can pay him less than IT when his next contract comes up".  Um No they can't.  Irving will make as much or more than Thomas in their next contracts. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I'm more excited than I was at the time. After watching Irving play, his potential is elite. He has great vision, but he is still struggling with timing. Sometimes, it would be better for him to keep the ball moving, but that might be more about other guys not being in the right place. His offense is so good, and when his timing catches up, he will be dropping 30 a game.

Also, he has been a net positive defensively. He's not been perfect. He has gotten lost a few times and played oley defense a few times, but the vast majority of the time he has been in the right place, playing hard, and being disruptive (steals, blocks, and charges). Although he is a mismatch on some switches, he is not nearly the mismatch I thought he would be. In fact, he's made some disruptive plays in those situations. He has a 97 defensive rating through 5 games. That's a small sample size, but its also elite. He has a 1.8 DBPM. That's really good. Not only has been not been a net negative on defense, he's actually been really good.

I'm excited for his potential on this team. I'm excited at the way he has connected with Rozier, Tatum, and Horford on the court. I'm excited to shut everyone up and claim the #1 seed again this year without Gordon Hayward (i mean, seriously Irving=Thomas, Brown>Bradley, Tatum>Crowder, Baynes>Johnson, Horford=Horford, 2017-18 bench>2016-17 bench). I'm excited for the Cavs to implode as Lebron watches Kyrie put up 50 points in game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals. I'm excited to see Hayward work his way back into shape throughout the playoffs and be ready to go full-tilt against the Warriors. I'm excited for another Celtic Championship.

Let's pump the brakes on our young guns. You are absolutely not giving any respect to AB or Crowder, who just like IT, Horford, and Smart, were the biggest key reasons why we made it to the 1st seed.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different