Poll

Who should the C's draft if they land 4th? (no Doncic, Ayton or Bagley)

Bamba
Porter Jr.
Trae Young
Jaren Jackson Jr.
Collin Sexton
Other Prospect
We Have Enough Young Guys, Trade the Pick

Author Topic: With the 4th Pick in the 2018 Draft, the Celtics select...  (Read 7770 times)

Re: With the 4th Pick in the 2018 Draft, the Celtics select...
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2018, 09:31:56 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Here's the quote & link to where Porter said he might stay longer than a year. This was before the season even started.

"Everybody thinks I'm not serious when I say that, but I actually might spend more than one year in college."

Porter said his main goal is to “leave a legacy” at Mizzou, and that he would consider returning for his sophomore year if the team struggles. Missouri hasn’t made the NCAA tournament in five years.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/10/18/16497706/michael-porter-jr-nba-draft-2018-missouri-two-years-in-school

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2018, 10:42:23 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Thanks everyone for replying and voting.  It looks like Porter Jr. and Bamba were the overwhelming choices, with some sentiment for moving the pick as well. 

It'll be interesting to see how things change leading up to the draft.  Hopefully LA stays crappy!
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2018, 10:54:21 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
From what I have seen and read of this years draft prospects I would create the following "way to early" tiers

Tier 1

Doncic
Ayton
Bagely

Tier 2

Young
Bamba
Porter (medicals could push him to tier 1)

Tier 3

Sexton
Jackson
Bridges

I admittedly haven't seen a lot of players and particularly want to watch Knox from UK.

If the Cs land the #4 or #5 pick this could be the toughest choice in DAs career. DA has historically gone with BPA. If the medicals check out that is Porter Jr. However Bamba is literally the perfect 5 for this roster moving forward and Young may be the most productive player in this class.

My brain says take Porter Jr, my heart says Bamba, and my gut feeling is that Young is going to be special.

I would take Bamba and watch and worry to see how good Porter and Young become. Ideal situation the Cs trade down and get Bamba. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2018, 12:42:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
winshares are pretty meaningless stat unless you think Jordan Bell is significantly better than Tatum.  They also generally require a team to win and most of the time top tier rookies aren't on winning teams.

It's true that most top tier rookies aren't on good teams, but a big part of that is top tier rookies often don't help teams win games.

I don't agree that WinShares are a meaningless stat.  I think they do a pretty good job of capturing which players contribute to winning as opposed to those generating empty numbers.

There are flaws to the stat, like any stat, and it does overrate big men (especially bench big men on good teams, e.g. Jordan Bell as you point out).  But I think it's fairly spot on with regard to Tatum being an outlier.  Very few young players, even those drafted very high, are as good defensively, as efficient offensively, and generally as poised as Tatum.

You could look at Jaylen Brown or Marcus Smart, the Celts' two most recent high draft picks prior to Tatum, as good examples of that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2018, 12:45:52 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
From what I have seen and read of this years draft prospects I would create the following "way to early" tiers

Tier 1

Doncic
Ayton
Bagely

Tier 2

Young
Bamba
Porter (medicals could push him to tier 1)

Tier 3

Sexton
Jackson
Bridges

I admittedly haven't seen a lot of players and particularly want to watch Knox from UK.

If the Cs land the #4 or #5 pick this could be the toughest choice in DAs career. DA has historically gone with BPA. If the medicals check out that is Porter Jr. However Bamba is literally the perfect 5 for this roster moving forward and Young may be the most productive player in this class.

My brain says take Porter Jr, my heart says Bamba, and my gut feeling is that Young is going to be special.

I would take Bamba and watch and worry to see how good Porter and Young become. Ideal situation the Cs trade down and get Bamba.
It's not a bad problem to have, if all 3 are available, now is it :)

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2018, 08:14:31 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I like bamba at 4 but he might be a project.  Would rather package the pick for Davis and go after titles at that point but i have no idea how we would squeeze in his salary.  Don't want to give up Harford as he is a gifted passer and floor spacer.

Let's hope lakers pick lands at 2 or 3 then we are in position for doncic or bagley!