Author Topic: Celtics 3 minute NBA draft workout Torture test  (Read 12991 times)

Celtics 3 minute NBA draft workout Torture test
« on: June 12, 2016, 11:35:47 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Or as some people call it "Boston Marathon"

If you don't know what goes on, the test is simple:

At the end of every pre-draft workout, the Boston Celtics line up the invited prospects along the baseline and have them sprint the length of the 94-foot court as many times as possible in a three-minute span.

But to execute it probably like torture.

The rest of information/story below (from an older espn article)

WALTHAM, Mass. -- It’s been playfully dubbed the Boston Marathon. At the end of every pre-draft workout, the Boston Celtics line up the invited prospects along the baseline and have them sprint the length of the 94-foot court as many times as possible in a three-minute span.

It’s been a staple of Danny Ainge’s workouts since his time as head coach with the Phoenix Suns and it’s become well known among draft prospects, who are often tipped off in advance by their agents or fellow draft hopefuls.

“It’s known around the league, they all talk about it, that Boston comes in and [some] call it a Boston Marathon,” said Celtics director of player personnel Austin Ainge, who spends much of his time organizing these pre-draft workouts. “It’s only three minutes of running. It’s grown to be a bigger thing than it actually is, but we kinda like it.”

Northeastern’s Jonathan Lee set the current Boston record last June when he ran 29 ½ court lengths, edging former Husky Matt Janning (29). Chicago’s Joakim Noah holds the record for big men at 27 ½ lengths, while second-round pick Colton Iverson put up 27 last year (which tells you a little something about why the Celtics bought a second-round pick from Indiana to select him).

Delonte West, who was selected 24th by the Celtics in the 2004 draft, actually became obsessed with topping the record during his time in Boston. He would go through the drill often and, after arriving to the practice facility one day, successfully ran 30 lengths. Those in the Celtics front office put an asterisk on the accomplishment, however, because West accomplished the feat at the start of a workout and not at the end of a session when he would have been more fatigued.

Over the past two days, the Celtics have brought in 18 players, and if you ask them about how Boston’s workout differs from others they’ve experienced so far, the answer is almost universal: This is the toughest one of all -- because of the sprint.

“This is the first time that I did the three-minute drill at the end [of a workout],” said Providence’s Bryce Cotton. “I guess that was a nice little wrap-up after a pretty good conditioning workout.”

Cotton put up 28 lengths, an eyebrow-raising number for a draft hopeful. The Celtics don’t put a tremendous amount of stock in the number posted. In fact, the drill often reflects more on the player mentally than physically.

“First of all, it shows conditioning level, obviously,” said Austin Ainge. “But also your heart, your grit, your toughness. At the end of a workout, how hard are you going to push yourself?”

Setting the team record didn’t help Lee, who went undrafted and spent last season playing professionally in Austria. But this year’s draft hopefuls marvel when told of his feat.

One NBA agent said he tells all his clients about the run in advance of the draft, but most are already aware. “Almost all players hear about the ‘Celtic run’ from other players who have done it in the past,” the agent noted.

Some other teams, including Miami and Phoenix, are known to mix in some similarly challenging runs, but, like its namesake, the Boston Marathon remains maybe the most noteworthy distance event.

Alas, knowing in advance about the run doesn’t make it any easier for draft hopefuls, especially when that call comes to line up on the baseline at the end of a 60- or 90-minute workout.

“I was told it would happen, the three-minute drill, it’s not a problem to me,” said Clemson’s K.J. McDaniels, who put up a respectable 26 lengths during Tuesday’s small forward workout. “I feel like conditioning is a big part of playing in the league. Coming out here and doing the three-minute wouldn’t hurt at all.”

Maybe not someone like McDaniels, but some players go to great lengths to avoid the trek.

“Some of the guys, we can see, they come in and they ask you about it three or four times. ‘When is it?’ ” explained Austin Ainge. “Then they start faking hamstring injuries and things. It’s just another piece of information that we like to see.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4713138/cs-prospects-get-own-boston-marathon

Re: Celtics 3 minute NBA draft workout Torture test
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 11:42:17 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I wonder how many AB can do

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 11:43:02 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I bet Jaylen killed it!

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 11:45:56 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I bet Jaylen killed it!

Possibly

Funny that some will fake a hamstring injury

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 04:21:58 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I bet Jaylen killed it!
Maybe so.  But he wasn't mentioned among the record so he didn't kill it that much.  But I certainly will be curious to see what bender would run.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 04:30:35 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
It is actually an interesting thing. Some metrics can be developed from this such as how much is this drill in the minds of the prospects when they are going through their workouts? Are they conserving energy for the 'marathon' ? Is it weighing on them mentally during their workout?

Also, do other teams build this into their assessment by asking the prospects to tell them how they performed in the 'Boston Marathon'?

Pretty interesting.

Will it get to a point where both Boston and the prospects will require confidentiality? So that the information is not shared with other teams. :)

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 04:35:11 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I bet Jaylen killed it!
Maybe so.  But he wasn't mentioned among the record so he didn't kill it that much.  But I certainly will be curious to see what bender would run.
Article is from the 2014 draft I think.

Thats why they mention McDaniels in the Context they do "Tuesday's workout" "Clemson's" as opposed to Philly's or Houston's
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 05:01:16 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Ainge usually drafts the wrong guys anyway---so maybe they should eliminate this.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 05:10:04 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
i wonder how many did sully do before quitting at the 60 second mark :)
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 05:22:04 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I bet Rozier killed it and that's why Ainge reached for him at #16.

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 08:48:45 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Who cares how fast a guy can do such drills, etc.?  Like the article states, the record holder isn't even an NBA player.  If they want to get an assessment of someone's mental toughness, just WATCH THE GAME FOOTAGE and see how they react going down the stretch of a tight game or how they perform when their shot isn't falling.  Watch their body language.  Do they hang their head, or continue to compete and find a way to contribute without scoring, etc.?  That should take precedent over how they perform during some run at the end of a workout, imo, but what do I know, lol?

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 08:56:28 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Who cares how fast a guy can do such drills, etc.?  Like the article states, the record holder isn't even an NBA player.  If they want to get an assessment of someone's mental toughness, just WATCH THE GAME FOOTAGE and see how they react going down the stretch of a tight game or how they perform when their shot isn't falling.  Watch their body language.  Do they hang their head, or continue to compete and find a way to contribute without scoring, etc.?  That should take precedent over how they perform during some run at the end of a workout, imo, but what do I know, lol?

I like Jaylen's demeanor in this regard too.

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 08:56:39 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
They should at least be dribbling a basketball during it

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 08:59:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
i wonder how many did sully do before quitting at the 60 second mark :)

Sully prob faked a stomach ache lol

He didnt event workout for the celtics

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 09:00:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Its to show what you are made of.

How many you do is not as important. Though if you are conditioned plus determined, one should be able to do at least 20