Author Topic: What is with the obsession with WCS ?  (Read 12825 times)

What is with the obsession with WCS ?
« on: January 12, 2015, 02:21:20 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I have read many people on here advocating that Danny drafts this kid with our top 10 pick this year. I am just not understanding why ?

Yes we need a rim protector , but that's about the only thing WCS does above average , but is not dominate or anything . He has no offensive game besides dunking , and is a mediocre rebounder at best .

I much rather draft a defensive minded big with the clips pick than draft someone like WCS with a top 10 pick .

He is basically a poor mans Tyson Chandler

Re: What is with the obsession with WCS ?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 02:23:27 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
You sound kind of obsessed with him.   ;)

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 02:23:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's hard to say.  Would prime Kendrick Perkins or Omar Asik project to be a top-10 pick?  I think that's the caliber of player than WCS projects to be.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 02:23:50 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Maybe he will be a middle class man's Tyson Chandler.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 02:29:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I have read many people on here advocating that Danny drafts this kid with our top 10 pick this year. I am just not understanding why ?

Yes we need a rim protector , but that's about the only thing WCS does above average , but is not dominate or anything . He has no offensive game besides dunking , and is a mediocre rebounder at best .

I much rather draft a defensive minded big with the clips pick than draft someone like WCS with a top 10 pick .

He is basically a poor mans Tyson Chandler

exactly.  Danny gave up on Wright and you would be getting a similar kind of player in WCS.   

WCS is thin, has a thin lower base.  He is like a taller JJJ. 

Like i said on another thread, imo DAnny rather take Dakari Johnson than WCS. 

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 02:31:13 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
It's hard to say.  Would prime Kendrick Perkins or Omar Asik project to be a top-10 pick?  I think that's the caliber of player than WCS projects to be.
Perk was picked 27th.  Asik 36th.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 02:32:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Big men are always at a premium. I think most teams would be happy that a top 10 pick (but not a top 3) became Asik/Perkins/Hibbert/Noah type defender, even if they hoped for more.

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 02:33:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Perk was picked 27th.  Asik 36th.
Both were the sort of picks that are a gamble, both panned out. Perkins did take many more years to do so though.

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 02:37:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

except those guys had wide frames to begin with.

WCS has been in college for how many years now? His body still looks rail thin

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 02:44:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I ve wondered too about his potential ......he seems equipped with right size for NBA.  It's so hard to tell about these guys so early. .  If he d play four college years , then you can get a better idea I think.

I think bigs progress at a slower rate than a six foot guard.

I admit, head hanging low ...with shame ...... :-X. ......I was for Danny taking Fab Melo .  Total failure to recognize the poor IQ period ....not just BB . Then I didn't watch Him so much in college.

I guess we need to sell bass and dive straight to the bottom of the pile. 

It seems Boston is never bad enough to get a top three.  Even our scrubs out play several team yearly.

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 02:49:55 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm a huge WCS guy so I'll try to give the obsession a voice
1. Great shotblocking
2. Pick and Roll defense: He is a fluid enough athlete to guard 3 of the 5 positions. He has the potential to switch onto guards in the pick and roll and smother them. Considering we have no bigs that can even stop dribble penetration on the pick and roll switch, this would help us.
3. Rolling Hard to the Rim:His ability to roll hard to the rim and catch lobs (he has very good hands), means that help defenders need to play in the paint to bump him before he rolls otherwise he's got an easy alley oop. This will improve the quality of shots for his teammates. Similarly skilled big men like Chandler and Jordan lead their teams in offensive rating and it's because having an athletic rim running center frees up shots for others.
4. Potential: he is tall and fast. There are rumors that he has a decent jumper that he hasn't been able to show off at Kentucky. You can not teach size or athleticism, which means that players with both have huge upside, WCS has both (he was fluid enough of an athlete to be an all state receiver in HS, how many centers do you know with the quickness to do that?)
5. Need: Everything WCS does well is a weakness for the Celtics
6. Culture: In extending Bradley, drafting Smart and (to a much lesser extent) trading for Crowder, Ainge has added young players who are very good defenders. Adding WCS gives the C's another player who is a defense first guy to grow with.

I think comparing the athleticism of Perkins or Asik to Cauley-Stein is not accurate. While WCS isn't guaranteed to produce like either of those two, if you are comparing him to others you have to go with more fluid defensive centers like Chandler or DeAndre.

To me the best comparison is DeAndre Jordan with a serviceable free throw shot and maybe even a servicable jump shot. I think a player like that is absolutely worthy of a top 10 pick.

One scout said Cauley-Stein is appealing because defending the pick-and-roll is critical in that league and he can do it in a number of ways. He can also legitimately lock down a small forward, power forward or center at the next level, the scout said. He has defended point guards at times in college.
http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2014/12/16/kentuckys-willie-cauley-stein-nba-draft-stock-quickly-rising/20505973/
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 02:58:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I'm a huge WCS guy so I'll try to give the obsession a voice
1. Great shotblocking
2. Pick and Roll defense: He is a fluid enough athlete to guard 3 of the 5 positions. He has the potential to switch onto guards in the pick and roll and smother them. Considering we have no bigs that can even stop dribble penetration on the pick and roll switch, this would help us.
3. Rolling Hard to the Rim:His ability to roll hard to the rim and catch lobs (he has very good hands), means that help defenders need to play in the paint to bump him before he rolls otherwise he's got an easy alley oop. This will improve the quality of shots for his teammates. Similarly skilled big men like Chandler and Jordan lead their teams in offensive rating and it's because having an athletic rim running center frees up shots for others.
4. Potential: he is tall and fast. There are rumors that he has a decent jumper that he hasn't been able to show off at Kentucky. You can not teach size or athleticism, which means that players with both have huge upside, WCS has both (he was fluid enough of an athlete to be an all state receiver in HS, how many centers do you know with the quickness to do that?)
5. Need: Everything WCS does well is a weakness for the Celtics
6. Culture: In extending Bradley, drafting Smart and (to a much lesser extent) trading for Crowder, Ainge has added young players who are very good defenders. Adding WCS gives the C's another player who is a defense first guy to grow with.

I think comparing the athleticism of Perkins or Asik to Cauley-Stein is not accurate. While WCS isn't guaranteed to produce like either of those two, if you are comparing him to others you have to go with more fluid defensive centers like Chandler or DeAndre.

To me the best comparison is DeAndre Jordan with a serviceable free throw shot and maybe even a servicable jump shot. I think a player like that is absolutely worthy of a top 10 pick.

One scout said Cauley-Stein is appealing because defending the pick-and-roll is critical in that league and he can do it in a number of ways. He can also legitimately lock down a small forward, power forward or center at the next level, the scout said. He has defended point guards at times in college.
http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2014/12/16/kentuckys-willie-cauley-stein-nba-draft-stock-quickly-rising/20505973/

yes all those are nice things. Things Brandan Wright could do , before he got traded. 

What you are forgetting is, WCS will not be able to handle most centers and pf's in the nba.   He will have alot of issues boxing out. Even Caliperi was upset with him last season for not boxing out properly etc. He is probably trying but getting outmuscled

Basically we are getting another Ryan Hollins or a better version, which is not that good of player in the NBA.

WCS has been playing college ball for three years now and has the same rail thin body.  A guy with his body type has a tough time putting on weight.   

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 03:02:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Brandan Wright can't do half of what WCS is being projected for defensively in the NBA. With WCS its all projection, Wright has given us years of minutes to show he can't.

I do worry that WCS won't transition to being an undersized center, those types have a high learning curve.

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 03:06:26 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I think WCS fits the prototypical center i would like to see on this team.

1. Defend the rim/paint
2. Have the mobility to defend the PnR and switch onto guards if needed
3. Have the mobility to be an effective PnR offensive player and "suck in" the defense
4. Shoot a high % at the rim

Im very cautious of drafting him with a top-10 pick, but i think Big Willie can do those 3 things well at the next level.

Edit: I should add that i think Ainge has the assets to trade up with the LAC pick into the 10-14 range (where i think WCS will be drafted). Whether he does it or not i think will tell us what he thinks of WCS.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 03:12:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Brandan Wright can't do half of what WCS is being projected for defensively in the NBA. With WCS its all projection, Wright has given us years of minutes to show he can't.

I do worry that WCS won't transition to being an undersized center, those types have a high learning curve.

WCS has some unique skills but what about ability to  handle the traditional responsibilities? Like don' t get killed by Dwight Howard. Don't let him constantly get good position .

Howard, Valencianas, Aldridge, Ibaka etc.

You don't draft a guy in the lotto who can only come in for special situations