Author Topic: UCLA 6'9" PG Avg 14\9\7  (Read 12761 times)

Re: UCLA 6'9" PG Avg 14\9\7
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 02:19:04 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Super slo-mo. Kind of reminds me of KO. Nice moves but that means little in the NBA where people will be one step ahead of him.

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 02:36:24 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
I'm kind of getting a Mike Dunleavy Jr type of vibe from him. Which is good for a 2nd rounder but not for a 1st.

Mike Dunleavy NEVER had this court vision and passing ability, not to mention the rebounding ability.  EVER.

Smitty77

P.S. Granted, Dunleavy is at this point a superior outside shooter.

Kid has great size, can be a good defender in the league from his length, would need to work on his foot speed. Kid looks like he's running in slow motion.

Reminds me a lot of Michael carter Williams though.

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 02:37:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Yeah......like his calm smart play.    ...not fast a Lamar Odem or Magic Johnson

But he is playing against far shorter and less athletic players in College.    Guys like Jeff Green, DWade , John Wall  could take the ball ou of his hands and disappear to the other end of the court in the blink of a eye .

He looks slow to me  and the fast NBA guards  will strip the ball .,and limit his I height advantage in the NBA as  they are faster and smarter than anything he has ever played against.

Maybe worth a second round chance.

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 05:06:29 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
He reminds me of Shaun Livingston with hopefully MUCH HEALTHIER knees and much more length.  I firmly believe that Livingston would have been an All-Star had it not been for his horrendous luck with knee problems!!

Smitty77

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 11:38:26 AM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I'm kind of getting a Mike Dunleavy Jr type of vibe from him. Which is good for a 2nd rounder but not for a 1st.

Mike Dunleavy NEVER had this court vision and passing ability, not to mention the rebounding ability.  EVER.

Smitty77

P.S. Granted, Dunleavy is at this point a superior outside shooter.

It's not a perfect comparison but I was talking more about impact in the NBA. Anderson seems like he can do everything well but will be limited in the NBA due to lack of athleticism.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 12:48:49 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Live in LA so seen quite of bit of him.  For as unathletic as he seems, Anderson gets to the rim very well.  His height also allows him to finish or pass well.  His issue will be defensively.  He cannot guard NBA PG's. 

So is he good enough on offense as a PG to warrant setting up a different kind of lineup to ensure a team as a guy that can guard the PG?  That is the question that I cannot answer.

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 09:52:43 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
I'd like the cs to get him as a backup Point/ project if rondo leaves. Only 2ndround or if we trade for another first. Only way though, I'd rather CaulieStein

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 09:03:45 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Didnt want to start a new topic on him so Im reviving an old one.

There is not prospect in the past few year who I have been more torn on then Kyle Anderson...

good,

--- elite court vision
--- elite rebounder for a wing
--- good handle for a wing
---- great size/length
---- no major holes on offence

bad,

--- terrible motor on D
--- terrible fundamentals on D
--- not assertive enough on offense
--- only average athleticism

Having watched him early in the season and now in the tournament I really think this kid could be special. His vision and passing ability is already NBA elite. He is big not just for a PG but for a SF. Only 15 SFs in the draftexpress data based have better then his 9' standing reach, this is the same as KOs and taller then Noahs. Marvin Williams and Julian Wright have similar height, wingspan, reach and weight and they where viewed as 3/4s at draft time.

Where his detractors view his athleticism as a limiting factor in the NBA I disagree. His combo of length and decent lateral quickness should make him a passable defender of 3s. However he is a fundamentally terrible defender with little to no defensive motor. He plays completely up right and is terrible at shedding picks.

If he could have basic defensive skills instilled in him he should be a top 10 pick. With his current broken skill set I would still take him mid first round because he possesses so much potential.     

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 10:02:55 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He is the type of PG that would work well with Avery Bradley. 

Bradley can apply the ball pressure to the other teams PG while Anderson defends the SG or SF. 

On offense, Anderson runs the offense and Bradley is the SG.

I think he would be an interesting backup for Rondo at this point. 

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 10:14:16 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Didnt want to start a new topic on him so Im reviving an old one.

There is not prospect in the past few year who I have been more torn on then Kyle Anderson...

good,

--- elite court vision
--- elite rebounder for a wing
--- good handle for a wing
---- great size/length
---- no major holes on offence

bad,

--- terrible motor on D
--- terrible fundamentals on D
--- not assertive enough on offense
--- only average athleticism

Having watched him early in the season and now in the tournament I really think this kid could be special. His vision and passing ability is already NBA elite. He is big not just for a PG but for a SF. Only 15 SFs in the draftexpress data based have better then his 9' standing reach, this is the same as KOs and taller then Noahs. Marvin Williams and Julian Wright have similar height, wingspan, reach and weight and they where viewed as 3/4s at draft time.

Where his detractors view his athleticism as a limiting factor in the NBA I disagree. His combo of length and decent lateral quickness should make him a passable defender of 3s. However he is a fundamentally terrible defender with little to no defensive motor. He plays completely up right and is terrible at shedding picks.

If he could have basic defensive skills instilled in him he should be a top 10 pick. With his current broken skill set I would still take him mid first round because he possesses so much potential.   

I agree with you about Anderson. He will be something special. I have been on the Anderson bandwagon for a couple of months now.

I posted this on the"Who are your top 10" thread last night:

I agree with you on Gordon, Early and McDermott, but not Kyle Anderson who has been underrated in all the mocks until recently. Since December until now, he has been consistently in the 20-30 range.

He is 6'8 1/2', has a 9 foot standing reach and a 7'3" wingspan. He played consistently all year with 13 double-doubles, one triple-double and many games with stats in not just points, assists and rebounds but also steals and blocks.

Anderson has improved his jumper tremendously this year hitting almost 50% from 3 and 2 land. He averaged 15,9 and 7 for the Bruins and had a great Pac-12 having big games against Stanford with a 13, 8, 7, 3, 1 stat line and Arizona 21, 15, and 5, often playing against Gordon.

This kid can ball. He has tremendous feel for the game and sees plays before they happen. His court vision and anticipation are elite and he is a good ball handler and excellent passer.

Slo-Mo is used disparagingly by some people to knock his athleticism. Slo-Mo really explains how he slows the game down in his mind.

His versatility makes him a steal in the 20s and a great pick in the low teens. This guy has been underrated, not overrated.

(Now watch him go out and have a bad game against the smothering FLA D. I hope not.)
 Gonna be a good game.

Well he didn't have a bad game. He was double teamed often and still had 11/9/5/2 as a stat line.

And I was wrong about the double- doubles in my post. He didn't have 14, he had 16, or so they said last night.

In a way I'm glad they didn't advance. I think a lot of GMs have been judging him mainly on his lack of athleticism. Good. Love to get him.

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2014, 10:56:58 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Seems to me like a Boris diaw type player. He will never really have a position but his size and unique skill set will keep him in league for a while.

Its interesting to look at his measurables. His 7'2.5" wingspan and 9' reach are actually 4/5 level measurements.

I like the Boris Diaw comparison... It seems like he is a Diaw with a little bit of a less athletic Odom throw in. NBAdraft has him projected as the number 5 pick whereas draft express doesnt have him til 19.

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2014, 11:45:26 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
He is the type of PG that would work well with Avery Bradley. 

Bradley can apply the ball pressure to the other teams PG while Anderson defends the SG or SF. 

On offense, Anderson runs the offense and Bradley is the SG.

I think he would be an interesting backup for Rondo at this point.

I was just going to post the exact same thing.  If we keep AB, Anderson would pair nicely with AB.  Let Avery run after the quicker guard.  Let Anderson guard the 2 guard or even the 3 if needed.  Kind of the same idea behind drafting Smart from OkState, except Anderson is a lot bigger.

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 12:08:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Anderson to me is very much a boom-bust prospect.  He has some very elite skills (passing/court-vision) and length, which will make him a tremendous offensive prospect in some regards.  He also has some severe drawbacks, in below-average athleticism, a low motor, and terrible defensive technique.  His elite aspects could make him one of the five best players in the draft over the long run, but his drawbacks could mean he washes out completely, and fans complain about him being the next Fab Melo.

I'm fine with Anderson if he's available with our second pick.  I don't think we'll be picking low enough our first pick for him to make sense.  His ceiling is very high.  But his floor is pretty low, and it's not at all unlikely that he winds up at the floor instead of the ceiling.

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 12:40:11 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Anderson to me is very much a boom-bust prospect.  He has some very elite skills (passing/court-vision) and length, which will make him a tremendous offensive prospect in some regards.  He also has some severe drawbacks, in below-average athleticism, a low motor, and terrible defensive technique.  His elite aspects could make him one of the five best players in the draft over the long run, but his drawbacks could mean he washes out completely, and fans complain about him being the next Fab Melo.

I'm fine with Anderson if he's available with our second pick.  I don't think we'll be picking low enough our first pick for him to make sense.  His ceiling is very high.  But his floor is pretty low, and it's not at all unlikely that he winds up at the floor instead of the ceiling.

Yeah, i don't see much inbetween. He could be a Diaw, Kukuc. Or his speed and defense could bounce him out of the NBA like Adam Morrison, or he becomes a end of bench guy like Luke Walton.

At 18 i might roll the dice. It depends on who else is sliding though.

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 01:06:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Watched him play for the first time  last night.  his vibe and rhythm on the court reminded me of Paul Pierce, especially the way he can get to where he wants to go without blazing speed.  Also the way he can create his shot.  Really intrigued by this guy.  Will be interested to see where he is taken in the draft.