Author Topic: Austin Rivers: "I would love to play for C's"  (Read 12550 times)

Austin Rivers: "I would love to play for C's"
« on: March 30, 2012, 12:16:18 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Not sure if this was posted already,but didn't see a thread on it..
Rivers announced his intentions to go pro this week, ending his stay at Duke after one season. He is projected to be a first-round pick, and said that he would happily play for the Celtics if they were to select him.

"If that was to happen, I would love to," Rivers said. "I would love to play for any organization in the NBA. That's my dream. It would be great. It would be different. It would be an interesting aspect just to play for my dad."

Rivers, who has never been coached by his father before at any level, said did he wouldn't want his father to treat him differently if he were to come to Boston.

"If this was to happen, I would want him to treat me like anybody else," Rivers said. "If I'm messing up, I want him to be hard on me. If I'm doing good, I want him to pat me on the back. That's the way he coaches. However he coaches [Rajon] Rondo or Kevin Garnett or Avery Bradley or any other player on that team, I want him to coach me. I don't want anything handed to me. I never have my whole life. I would have to mature and accept that responsibility. That's one of the things you look forward to when you decide to go pro."

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21188126/austin-rivers-i-would-love-play-cs

Nothing surprising, but thought it was worth posting. Sounds like Austin would certainly be open to playing here. To me he has the most potential of anyone in this draft besides Davis,Kidd-Gilchrist, Barns and Beal(maybe White and Lamb)

Really hoping the c's can make a deal with either Portland,New Orleans or Utah.Currently these teams own these picks

Portland has picks     6 + 11
New Orleans has picks  2 + 14
Utah has picks        10 + 13

With each of those teams already drafting earlier in the lottery , they may be willing to trade away their 2nd pick if they see value later around picks 17-25. I think New Orleans and Utah are the best chances of making a deal.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 02:16:28 PM by rondohondo »

Re: Austin Rivers: "I would love to' play for C's"
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 12:19:16 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I'd love Austin on the team he reminds of D Wade a lot...
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 12:19:33 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
love austin. lets hope we get him.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 01:20:01 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

He reminds me a lot more of Stephen Curry.

He doesn't appear to be anywhere near as athletic as Wade or Ellis, the two comparisons that I see the most.

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 02:02:12 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

He doesn't appear to be anywhere near as athletic as Wade or Ellis, the two comparisons that I see the most.

Not a bad comparison, but I think Curry is more of a catch and shoot type of player.

Rivers reminds me of Jason Terry a lot . They can both shoot with range and from anywhere on the floor, but can also go 1 on 1 . I think both have a better handle than Curry too.

Looking at Jason Terry's college stats it's encouraging because Terry really didn't explode until his senior year

Rivers Freshman stats

33 Mins, 15.5 PPG, 2.1 APG,  3.5 RPG , 43 FG%, 36% 3PT, 66% FG

Jason Terry College stats
Soph  - 30.5 Mins, 10.6 PPG, 4.4 APG,  2.7 RPG , 44 FG%, 33% 3PT, 71% FT

Jr  - 22.8 Mins, 10.6 pts, 4.3 ast,  2.4 rebs, 42 FG%, 35% 3PT, 82% FT   

Sr  - 38.2 Mins  21.9 pts, 5.5 ast,  3.3 rebs, 44 FG%, 40% 3PT, 84% FT

Terry probably had PG skills entering the league, but he was also a senior . I think this is a realistic comparison .
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 02:45:33 PM by rondohondo »

Re: Austin Rivers: "I would love to play for C's"
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 02:09:56 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Reminds me a lot of James Harden.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 02:23:10 PM »

Offline Daedalus

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
It's important to keep in mind that Austin has never, at any level, been coached by his father.  I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not for the prospect of Austin joining the Cs.

I would be very uneasy about trying to make a father-son pairing work at the highest possible level.

In any case, I think there are going to be better players available where the Cs are likely to be drafting.  We need to complement Rondo with floor-running big men and swing forwards, not ball hogging undersized guards with a Jordan-complex.

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 02:38:15 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
These threads are getting annoying, but anyways I only want him if he's a legit shooting guard size wise. I don't think he can defend the point, but if he's big enough to be a two I think he'd be great with Rondo. I don't think he makes it past 15 if he's as good as people on this blog think he is.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 03:18:41 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
These threads are getting annoying, but anyways I only want him if he's a legit shooting guard size wise. I don't think he can defend the point, but if he's big enough to be a two I think he'd be great with Rondo. I don't think he makes it past 15 if he's as good as people on this blog think he is.

He doesn't think he'll make it past 15 either.

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 03:21:44 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Not a bad comparison, but I think Curry is more of a catch and shoot type of player.

Rivers reminds me of Jason Terry a lot . They can both shoot with range and from anywhere on the floor, but can also go 1 on 1 . I think both have a better handle than Curry too.

Looking at Jason Terry's college stats it's encouraging because Terry really didn't explode until his senior year

Rivers Freshman stats

33 Mins, 15.5 PPG, 2.1 APG,  3.5 RPG , 43 FG%, 36% 3PT, 66% FG

Jason Terry College stats
Soph  - 30.5 Mins, 10.6 PPG, 4.4 APG,  2.7 RPG , 44 FG%, 33% 3PT, 71% FT

Jr  - 22.8 Mins, 10.6 pts, 4.3 ast,  2.4 rebs, 42 FG%, 35% 3PT, 82% FT   

Sr  - 38.2 Mins  21.9 pts, 5.5 ast,  3.3 rebs, 44 FG%, 40% 3PT, 84% FT

Terry probably had PG skills entering the league, but he was also a senior . I think this is a realistic comparison .
I was talking more about not his overall game but how he can take you off the dribble and finish with contact or with unorthodox shots
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 05:08:06 PM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
We would love to have him as well because the C's would be getting a steal if they got him at their draft position - 30th!  :)
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 06:13:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
cool austin would love to play for Doc and Doc would love to coach his son.   Now some team will take Austin early and try to get us to give up a bunch of assets for him.  Maybe Rivers is a massive red herring.  lol

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 10:49:34 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
Rivers has that psychological "it" factor. He has a drive to be the best player alive and he's used to the spotlight. He would be a good fit with us too (take Dooling's minutes assuming Ray comes back). I imagine he'll get snatched up early though. He's going to go into his pro workouts and wow people. I bet he's training as we speak.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 10:57:18 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
He practices with the C's too.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 10:59:15 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
obviously he is going to say this... right after he says "i would love to play for any nba organization" who wouldnt?