Author Topic: Should Danny try to get another 1st rounder?  (Read 12722 times)

Re: Should Danny try to get another 1st rounder?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 07:50:42 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
At the rate we're going Danny should stick to the 2nd rounders

Bradley: jury still out
Giddens: bust

Only other pick before that was Rondo...what rate are you talking about?

Those aren't just two misses. Those are two pretty awful awful picks. 

I do not understand for the life of me why people are saying the jury is out on Bradley. It was a horrid pick the instant the pick was made and it's horrid now.  He did Nothing. Nothing. Nothing good whatsoever the entire year (except the 20 point game in a virtual exhibition game the last game of the year). 

I'd like people to point out other players that did nothing their first year and then became great. There aren't many. He's not Jermaine O'Neal, and to be fair O'Neal was drafted as an 18 year old, not after a year in the Big 12.

He picked Pruitt as the 2nd pick in the 2nd round. That has me concerned. He could have had Marc Gasol.

He picked Jeff Green #5, then traded him, then traded back for him.

He picked Gerald Green # 18

And he basically picked Marcus Banks #13.

I'm not confident in Danny Ainge as a drafter any more.

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 09:01:55 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
The entire league missed on Marc Gasol. In 2005 he took a gamble on Green, lottery level talent that didn't pan out, instead of a bunch of other flotsam and David Lee who the entire league missed on.

So you're argument is he picked Marcus Banks 8 years ago.

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 09:07:21 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

I do not understand for the life of me why people are saying the jury is out on Bradley. It was a horrid pick the instant the pick was made and it's horrid now.  He did Nothing. Nothing. Nothing good whatsoever the entire year (except the 20 point game in a virtual exhibition game the last game of the year). 

I'd like people to point out other players that did nothing their first year and then became great. There aren't many. He's not Jermaine O'Neal, and to be fair O'Neal was drafted as an 18 year old, not after a year in the Big 12.

He picked Pruitt as the 2nd pick in the 2nd round. That has me concerned. He could have had Marc Gasol.

eja, I love you man, I really do, but you're just trying to get into an argument here by picking and choosing certain draft picks (Banks) ignoring others (Perkins), and ignoring context (32 teams passed on Marc Gasol in the first round).

I'll pass on the bait.

Back to the OP's question: no, danny should not try to get another 1st rounder.  I'm with the other folks on here who said that we got one more year at this, so use #25 to pick a NBA-ready player.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 09:34:47 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I do not understand for the life of me why people are saying the jury is out on Bradley. It was a horrid pick the instant the pick was made and it's horrid now.  He did Nothing. Nothing. Nothing good whatsoever the entire year (except the 20 point game in a virtual exhibition game the last game of the year).  

eja, I love you man, I really do, but you're just trying to get into an argument here by picking and choosing certain draft picks (Banks) ignoring others (Perkins), and ignoring context (32 teams passed on Marc Gasol in the first round).

I'll pass on the bait.

Back to the OP's question: no, danny should not try to get another 1st rounder.  I'm with the other folks on here who said that we got one more year at this, so use #25 to pick a NBA-ready player.
In a weak draft, do you really think the player taken at #25 will be NBA-ready?

Personally, if Danny can buy a mid-first to early-second round pick, I don't see any reason not to.  The team needs to develop talent for next year.  Might as well get a jump start on that by filling up spots 14 and 15 with decent prospects.  (I figure Bradley for #13 and the pick at #55 to not make the cut).  Danny can fill out spots 1-12 with who is on the roster now, resigning our worthwhile FA's and hoping and praying to have some cap room or exceptions in the new CBA to fill out the roster with some healthy, quality players.

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 10:12:21 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

I do not understand for the life of me why people are saying the jury is out on Bradley. It was a horrid pick the instant the pick was made and it's horrid now.  He did Nothing. Nothing. Nothing good whatsoever the entire year (except the 20 point game in a virtual exhibition game the last game of the year).  

I'll pass on the bait.

Back to the OP's question: no, danny should not try to get another 1st rounder.  I'm with the other folks on here who said that we got one more year at this, so use #25 to pick a NBA-ready player.
In a weak draft, do you really think the player taken at #25 will be NBA-ready?

Personally, if Danny can buy a mid-first to early-second round pick, I don't see any reason not to.  The team needs to develop talent for next year.  Might as well get a jump start on that by filling up spots 14 and 15 with decent prospects.  (I figure Bradley for #13 and the pick at #55 to not make the cut).  Danny can fill out spots 1-12 with who is on the roster now, resigning our worthwhile FA's and hoping and praying to have some cap room or exceptions in the new CBA to fill out the roster with some healthy, quality players.

I think if he picks the right guy, which surely isn't as easy as it seems, that guy will be able to play some off the bench by the middle/end of the year....(that's if they don't go total project...which would be fine by me...since it woulud mean they plan on addressing needs in other ways)

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 10:14:38 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
No thanks.  Danny hasn't impressed with his drafting ability enough to trust him with two picks

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 01:44:14 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I'll pass on the bait.

Back to the OP's question: no, danny should not try to get another 1st rounder.  I'm with the other folks on here who said that we got one more year at this, so use #25 to pick a NBA-ready player.
I guess you could say since he's picking low in the draft the situation is more analogous to picking Perk than picking Banks.

But basically in the first round he had that one big year where he got Al J, Delonte, and Tony Allen.

I'm not convinced he wouldn't have gone with Robert Swift or even Telfair for that matter had they been available.    Yes he picked Perk right before Barbosa and Josh Howard. But that has to be at least evened out by taking Banks over Ridnour, David West, and Boris Diaw.

Since the Al Jeff year other than buying a sliding Rondo he has made a bunch of horrid picks in the first and early 2nd round.  I don't think picking Gerald Green over quite a lot of much better players is something he should be excused for. And if he had just traded up one spot he could have had Danny Granger.

Even his 2nd rounders don't always strike me as great picks as much as very lucky they slid.  Ryan Gomes at 50 and Oriene Green at 53? Over Amir Johnson?  Had he traded up 5 spots he could have had Louis Williams. Had he traded up 10 he could have had Monta Ellis.

And the Giddens year. What's up with that?

34 Mario Chalmers
35 DeAndre Jordan
37 LR Mbah a Moute
38 Kyle Weaver
39 Sonny Weems
40 C Douglas Roberts

And last year. Avery Bradley?  James Anderson was picked next. He couldn't trade up a pick for Bledsoe? Or up 4 or 5 for Ed Davis, Patrick Paterson, or Larry Sanders?

At some point you just have to say "hmmm. Maybe he's not that great a drafter"

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 01:47:36 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Ainge made a promise to Orien Greene's agent to take him if he was available. Ditto for Giddens, IIRC.

Ainge doesn't have a problem with his drafting. It's the promises that are troublesome.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 01:53:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
 Danny can fill out spots 1-12 with who is on the roster now, resigning our worthwhile FA's and hoping and praying to have some cap room or exceptions in the new CBA to fill out the roster with some healthy, quality players.
I think you realize this but just for clarification the exemptions that the owners are talking about in the new CBA mean taking a player's contract off the books but still having to pay it and keeping that player and there would be a maximum number of times you could do this in a certain amount of time.

This wouldn't open roster spots(actually the owners are talking reducing the number of roster spots, something I am sure the NBAPA HATES!!!). And given the Celtics situation the first contract to go off the books would probably be Pierce's and that wouldn't open up any cap room next year because of all the other contracts still on the books.

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 01:58:18 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

... compared to...?

If you want to argue that DA is a bad drafter, fine.  But he has to be bad *in relation* to something.

I'm not saying DA is a good or bad drafter, bc I can't take the time to analyze what he has done relative to what other GMs have done.

I'll gladly take my hat off and give many TPs to the person who does the proper draft analysis this would take. 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 02:00:44 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I am fine with buying another 1st rounder. Trading for one, not so much.

I have no problem with rookies as the 13th, 14th, and 15th bodies on next year's roster.

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 02:07:05 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

... compared to...?

If you want to argue that DA is a bad drafter, fine.  But he has to be bad *in relation* to something.

I'm not saying DA is a good or bad drafter, bc I can't take the time to analyze what he has done relative to what other GMs have done.

I'll gladly take my hat off and give many TPs to the person who does the proper draft analysis this would take. 
That's a very good point.

San Antonio of course. They've done phenomenal.

Off the top of my just thinking out loud.

Ok City  Durant, Green, Russell W, Ibaka, Harden.  

Memphis   Gay, Arthur, Gasol, Conley

Indiana Paul George, Hibbert, Tyler Hansbrough, Danny Granger, Brandon Rush

Clippers Eric Gordon, DeAndre Jordan, Blake Griffin, Eric Bledsoe, Al Farouq Amini

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 02:07:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I have no problem with rookies as the 13th, 14th, and 15th bodies on next year's roster.
What happens if the new CBA calls for only 13 or 14 roster spots and you already have Bradley as one? Would you still want 2-3 rooks on the end of the bench?

Just wondering?

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 02:16:19 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

Cherrypicking of the highest order. Isn't there some sort of looking in the mirror that you have to do if you are constantly critical of Danny Ainge and Bill Belichick?

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 02:32:26 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

What happens if the new CBA calls for only 13 or 14 roster spots and you already have Bradley as one? Would you still want 2-3 rooks on the end of the bench?

Just wondering?

I've not heard anything about roster sizes being part of the discussion re: the new CBA.

Even so, I would be OK with certain rookies occupying those spots: four-year seniors, legit big men, defenders, rebounders.

If roster sizes should change between draft night and the opening of the new season, I'm sure Ainge can figure out a way to manage things.