Author Topic: Could the fix be in again??  (Read 3696 times)

Could the fix be in again??
« on: May 19, 2009, 05:46:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Basketball in NY is bad and has been for a while. Mike D'Antoni came in last year and he might be a good start but after seeing other superstars light up MSG like a Christmas tree with huge scoring nights and big wins, its pretty obvious that the Knicks are going to need help to bring great basketball back to the Big Apple.

Enter the 2010 free agent season and tonight's draft lottery. Rumors have been swirling for months and months regarding the ultimate destination of one King James and New York has been mentioned quite a bit with LeBron even teasing about it on occassion. But will LeBron go to a team where there will be no other decent player to play with?

Enter tonight's draft lottery. The Knicks hold a 2.8% chance of landing the #1 pick and getting Blake Griffin. Could the fix be in once again so that a budding future superstar is in New York to make LeBron's decision easier?

Yeah, yeah, I know, the Patrick Ewing draft wasn't fixed and the NBA is on the level and doesn't fix game outcomes or draft lottery outcomes. But, if they did, would this be a way to try to establish New York as a viable basketball city once again?

The Knicks will have Gallinari, Curry, Jeffries, Chandler and probably David Lee back in 2010-11 and will have a ton of cap space. Maybe even enough for two superstars that off season. Could LeBron be enticed to go to NY if he is going to have a base of Blake Griffin, David Lee, Wilson Chandler, Danilo Galllinari, and maybe someone like D Wade or Joe Johnson? Could the first steps at returning basketball to the mother of all media markets already in the works and will be unveiled tonight when the Knicks win the top pick?

Yeah, I know. I'm a crazy conspiracy theorist!!!

But if the Knicks do win the lottery tonight, how many are going to be calling me crazy tomorrow?

Re: Could the fix be in again??
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 05:51:14 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
If the Knicks win the draft lottery, I'm taking my tinfoil hat and moving to Mexico where they can't trace me.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 05:52:37 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
But if the Knicks do win the lottery tonight, how many are going to be calling me crazy tomorrow?

Present.

Just out of curiosity, how do you think it's possible to rig the draft lottery, unless there's a collusion between every team in the league? It's ping-pong balls in a bin, teams representatives are in the room and it isn't even the NBA conducting the process but an accounting company.

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 05:55:29 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
If the Knicks win the draft lottery, I'm taking my tinfoil hat and moving to Mexico where they can't trace me.

I'm with ya
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 05:56:07 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
altho if the Knicks win it they'll probably draft some Euro who's out of the league in 2 years...even if they don't win it they'll do that =)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 06:02:30 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I never really understood the "Stern wants the Knicks to win" conspiracies.  The Knicks didn't move up in 2003, 2005, or 2008 when they had lottery picks, or at any time since the Ewing draft.  If Stern is so hell-bent on getting the Knicks championships, wouldn't he have delivered Lebron ('03), CP3 ('05), or Derrick Rose ('08) to the Knicks?  Why is Griffin the one?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 06:09:03 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
How about MJ and the Bobcats winning it tonight with only a .7% chance?  Watch out for the unexpected tonight:-)))))

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 06:11:40 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
OKC will win so they can select Griffin.

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 06:20:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Present.

Just out of curiosity, how do you think it's possible to rig the draft lottery, unless there's a collusion between every team in the league? It's ping-pong balls in a bin, teams representatives are in the room and it isn't even the NBA conducting the process but an accounting company.
Actually, I don't.

I don't even believe that the Ewing lottery was fixed.

But my 20 year old son who goes to school with way to many New Yorkers at Umass Amherst was telling me that they are all convinced that Stern and the NBA will do everything and anything to get Lebron into a Knicks uniform. I thought it might make for fun banter.

As for Roy's question about Stern wanting the Knicks to win, I think the whole thing comes down to the NBA needing a presence in New York for financial reasons. Oh the ratings are okay when LeBron and Kobe are on but if NY had a superduper star, the ratig in NEW York would be off the charts come playoff season and that has to mean something.

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 06:23:58 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
As for Roy's question about Stern wanting the Knicks to win, I think the whole thing comes down to the NBA needing a presence in New York for financial reasons. Oh the ratings are okay when LeBron and Kobe are on but if NY had a superduper star, the ratig in NEW York would be off the charts come playoff season and that has to mean something.

I understand the need to have a contending Knicks team.  If the league is conspiring, though, why not just send Lebron to the Knicks in '03, then? 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 06:39:49 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

Present.

Well, there are ways to rig a lottery. Balls with different weights, magnets, pneumatic systems. And a succesful NY Knicks franchise is good for the whole NBA, and the NBA is all about money, from the Clippers to the Wizards, so the "everyone would have to be involved" argument doesnīt really count, imo.

However, I donīt believe these "Knicks get top pick" conspiracy theories.
Wouldnīt it been much better if they won it last year, to have the most exciting PG prospect in the last 20 years under D`Antoni? Or the year before that, a draft with an allegedly game-changing big man and an incredible forward talent in Durant?

No, the lottery isnīt rigged.
If the Knicks win it this year, theyīre just lucky, thatīs it.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 07:09:47 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
well Wilson Chandlers decent haha but who knows i wouldnt be surprised though, stern's that much of a scumbag