Author Topic: Ricky Rubio : BUST  (Read 8730 times)

Ricky Rubio : BUST
« on: May 19, 2009, 12:45:17 PM »

Offline yoursweatersux

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 45
Sorry, but I'm really just not buying into all of the hype surrounding him. He's simply not a number 2 pick type of player.

Please, discuss.

And here is my controversial explanation that's sure to make more people disagree with me than had I simply posted my first two sentences:

Just make a quick comparison between Derrick Rose and Rubio to see what I mean. Derrick Rose ABUSED a lot of the point guards he went up against this year. When I saw Rubio play in the olympics, he played "ok". Now you're probably thinking BUT IT WAS THE REDEEM TEAM, OF COURSE HE WASN'T GOING TO DESTROY THEM, THEY'RE GODS! Well if you're thinking that, then you obviously didn't see/don't remember the Australia game where Patrick Mills (that's his name right?) absolutely torched Chris Paul and Deron Williams. He plays like D-Rose, so I'm confident Derrick Rose would've handed out some similar abuse. Ricky Rubio, however, didn't do much. And furthermore, it's not just a Spanish thing, since Rudy Fernandez balled his ass off and proved the Spanish can tear it up. So I ask, why the hype for somebody who showed so little on the world's biggest stage?? I'm sure the scouts have seen his Euroleague games which I haven't... but even so I'd take my one olymipcs "apples to apples" comparison than some apples to oranges Euroleague comparison that the scouts seem to be placing way too much weight on.

Re: Ricky Rubio : BUST
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:55:45 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Have you seen him play other than the Olympics (where he was outstanding)?

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 01:07:01 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I'm sure the scouts have seen his Euroleague games which I haven't...

::)

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 01:18:43 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I suggest you take a look at a larger body of work than just the 2008 Olympics before drawing a conclusion.  That's a single two week sample you're basing a judgement on.  Waaaay too small a sample, IMO

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 01:22:18 PM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Wade said he was one of the best defenders he faced in the Olympics, and the kid was 17 - the youngest player to ever reach the Olympic finals.

He currently starts at pointguard for the top non-US proffesional team.

At 6'4" and 190 pounds, signs point to a long and productive NBA career.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 01:24:58 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I suggest you take a look at a larger body of work than just the 2008 Olympics before drawing a conclusion.  That's a single two week sample you're basing a judgement on.  Waaaay too small a sample, IMO

It appears the sample is actually only one game, the game against the U.S. 

I think saying a player will be a "bust" because he "played OK" against the "Redeem Team", but didn't dominate them, is very unfair.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 01:45:48 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

It appears the sample is actually only one game, the game against the U.S. 

I think saying a player will be a "bust" because he "played OK" against the "Redeem Team", but didn't dominate them, is very unfair.

Perfectly reasonable.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 01:46:46 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I disagree, I think Rubio is going to be a fine player.

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 01:50:17 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
weak draft. Only lock I'd say is Griffin. Other than that the 10th player picked maybe the 2nd best player picked.

I think Rubio will be good in time. Kid's only 18.

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 01:56:21 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Apparently, the Twolves love him.  I'd like to see them get the #2 pick tonight.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 02:01:49 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I'd like to see the Wolves land the first pick, so I could watch the tandem of Griffin and Jefferson. Big Al would always have to play out of position, but man what a dynamic front court that would be--easily tops in the league.

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 02:05:17 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
weak draft. Only lock I'd say is Griffin. Other than that the 10th player picked maybe the 2nd best player picked.

I think Rubio will be good in time. Kid's only 18.

needs to get with a shooting coach ASAP, just because his jumper is sooooo sloooowww that NBA players might be able to block it, but other than that, i agree, kid has all the tools to be really good for a long time.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 02:09:13 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Agree...

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 02:09:55 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Fact is, somebody is going to take him instead of Ty Lawson and regret it for the next 12 years.

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 02:16:28 PM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'm from Europe and I can tell you this guy is too good, he's absolutely better than you might think... Here's something, which maybe means nothing, maybe it means a lot:

U-16 European Championships: Unbelievable Rubio
August 22, 2006
We’re running out of adjectives to describe what Ricky Rubio has achieved in these Cadet Championships. After his terrific run leading Spain to the semifinals with a perfect record, he saved his best for the last and decisive games, a couple of ridiculous performances that included a quadruple double in the semifinal and a 51-point game in the double-overtime final that handed the title to the Spanish squad and the MVP award to him.
Croatia was a dangerous but affordable rival for Spain in the semifinals.[...] Spain got an early lead that they never lost, and Ricky only need 28 minutes of playing time to put up a quadruple double, finishing the game with 19 points, 10 rebounds, 13 assists and 11 steals in 33 minutes.
Russia in the final was a tougher match in advance despite the deceiving 15-point differential that Spain got in the preliminary round against them. It was so much tougher that Spain needed virtually a miracle to come up with the victory. But Rubio had an appointment with destiny, and had no intention to miss it. Russia had taken what looked like a definitive 3-point lead with under 2 seconds to go on the clock, and it had to be Ricky, a mediocre shooter, who nailed a mid-court bomb with the buzzer to send the game to the first overtime, which ultimately gave the victory to Spain and an unbelievable stat-line of 51 points, 24 rebounds, 12 assists and 7 steals for Ricky.

I couldn't find his averages for the tournament, not for another reason but they were so ridiculous they would definitely make you laugh!! ;D

I know, it was just an U-16 tournament! However, I think that if this guy works correctly and remains down-to-earth, he has great potential!!
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...