Author Topic: Drafting in lottery then looking to trade vets?  (Read 5876 times)

Drafting in lottery then looking to trade vets?
« on: May 18, 2009, 03:49:32 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Which teams will likely pick up a player in the lottery that allows them or induces them to trade a vet.

For example, if Minny lands Griffin do they trade Love, Gomes, Craig Smith?

If Minny lands Harden do they trade Foye?

If Ok. City lands Griffin do they trade Jeff Green?

Clippers trade Kaman if land Thabeet?

Etc...

Re: Drafting in lottery then looking to trade vets?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 07:01:58 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Which teams will likely pick up a player in the lottery that allows them or induces them to trade a vet.

For example, if Minny lands Griffin do they trade Love, Gomes, Craig Smith?

If Minny lands Harden do they trade Foye?

If Ok. City lands Griffin do they trade Jeff Green?

Clippers trade Kaman if land Thabeet?

Etc...

Chris Wallace will certainly take Rubio with the second pick and not Thabeet.  Will he then look to trade Mike Conley?

Will the Clippers trade Camby, Kaman or Thornton?

What other lottery picks might have a chance to trigger trades?

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 07:02:47 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The Clippers will probably try hard to trade Randolph, but I don't see it happening.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 08:01:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
  • Clippers will look to trade 1-2 of their big men.
  • Grizzlies will look to trade Mike Conley
  • Wizards will shop their pick, for a quality veteran, likely someone who can play D at the two guard spot. Kirk Hinrich?
  • The Thunder will make a bunch of different trade proposals to the Clippers for Griffin, hopefully being rebuffed each time.
  • The Wolves are interesting team to watch. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to bring in another veteran, like they did with Mike Miller last season. Hinrich may also be a target for Minny.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 08:06:20 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Wizards will shop their pick, for a quality veteran, likely someone who can play D at the two guard spot. Kirk Hinrich?
  • The Thunder will make a bunch of different trade proposals to the Clippers for Griffin, hopefully being rebuffed each time.
  • The Wolves are interesting team to watch. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to bring in another veteran, like they did with Mike Miller last season. Hinrich may also be a target for Minny.

In your estimation what's Conley worth?  Should Portland try to use him as a pick-me-up for Oden?

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 08:11:16 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I agree with everything except the wizards. I think they are going to take Jennings and move gilbert over to the 2.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 08:14:15 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

In your estimation what's Conley worth?  Should Portland try to use him as a pick-me-up for Oden?
They were talking seriously about a Conley-Sessions trade at mid-season so that's a good barometer.

For Portland, Travis Outlaw and another good asset would likely get them to the negotiating table. Whether they get a deal or not depends on whether Memphis value Outlaw, many teams do but I'm not sure Memphis are one of them. I don't like Portland's chances of acquiring him, Pritchard will fumble the ball with his reluctance to give up any youth and his increasing insistence on any trade being a home run or no deal ... and at the same time, some other team will step in a make a superior offer to beat the Blazers.

I think the Grizzlies will look for a good prospect. Someone like Conley who still hasn't quite established himself, at least not as a star player.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Grizzlies were offered some late lotto picks for him. Indiana? Milwaukee to show their interest again? New York?

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 08:24:05 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
On the Wizards
here are a lot of great players in this draft. We're in a good spot to get a good player or to possibly use that player in a trade," Ernie Grunfeld said in a telephone interview.

"We feel comfortable with the fifth pick, but we are going to explore our options to see what can make us the best possible team next year. But we feel, if we have all of our pieces out there, it would be hard for any young player to come in and break into the lineup -- even if it was the first pick."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/19/AR2009051903967.html?sub=AR

That underlined sentence -- that's the problem for Washington -- if they're serious about trying to make a contender, they need to have immediate difference makers. A trade for a veteran offers a much better likelihood of that than the draft pick.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 08:27:46 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
On the Wizards
here are a lot of great players in this draft. We're in a good spot to get a good player or to possibly use that player in a trade," Ernie Grunfeld said in a telephone interview.

"We feel comfortable with the fifth pick, but we are going to explore our options to see what can make us the best possible team next year. But we feel, if we have all of our pieces out there, it would be hard for any young player to come in and break into the lineup -- even if it was the first pick."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/19/AR2009051903967.html?sub=AR

That underlined sentence -- that's the problem for Washington -- if they're serious about trying to make a contender, they need to have immediate difference makers. A trade for a veteran offers a much better likelihood of that than the draft pick.

I guess, id have to see what they get.

If it was a deeper draft I'd agree, but they need a PG if they want to continue with thier plan of moving arena's over to SG, and i just don't see them getting a high quality vet PG out of that pick in this years draft.

I would just take jennings, but thats me.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 08:54:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

If it was a deeper draft I'd agree, but they need a PG if they want to continue with thier plan of moving arena's over to SG, and i just don't see them getting a high quality vet PG out of that pick in this years draft.

They are planning on moving Arenas to the two guard position?

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 08:58:05 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

They are planning on moving Arenas to the two guard position?

Thats what ive been told by wizards fans ( i know a whole 2 of em) who follow the team.

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 09:04:50 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I would love to get some of these guys for expiring contracts. Maybe sucker a team into taking a swing at one of our young guys and taking a contract or a sign and trade with BBD

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 09:12:50 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Jennings can't get minutes - heck, he can't even get a place in the bench - for Roma, a solid team but far from being a powerhouse. As Grunfeld puts it, how much time will it take for him to break the Wizards rotation (assuming they are healthy for the season)? I like the Hinrich suggestion, makes sense to pair him with Arenas and Young, they'd have a very solid guard rotation.

I think Memphis should move Gay, but they probably won't.

Will the Clippers find anyone willing to take Randolph? What price will they need to pay? Or will they trade Kaman? Or Camby?

OKC should pass on Thabeet and draft Harden; in this case I suppose they'll try to move Kyle Weaver and Wilkins.

The Kings will probably try to trade up for Rubio. What can they offer?

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 10:52:21 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
The Clippers will probably try hard to trade Randolph, but I don't see it happening.

Hollinger laid out an idea of Jaric, Milicic and the 27th pick for Randolph. Both guys are useless, but they could at least rationalize it, take a decent young project with the pick, getting back a decent gaurd of lore in Jaric, and be rid of Z-Bo.  I'd do it if i were LAC. But of course if i were LAC, i never would have a) traded for  Zach ******' Randolph, or b) hired Don Dunlevy. Amazing how often times the average NBA fan can make far wiser decisions than incredibly wealthy team owners.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 10:57:23 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Hollinger laid out an idea of Jaric, Milicic and the 27th pick for Randolph. Both guys are useless, but they could at least rationalize it, take a decent young project with the pick, getting back a decent gaurd of lore in Jaric, and be rid of Z-Bo.  I'd do it if i were LAC. But of course if i were LAC, i never would have a) traded for  Zach ******' Randolph, or b) hired Don Dunlevy. Amazing how often times the average NBA fan can make far wiser decisions than incredibly wealthy team owners.
Memphis won't be interested in that deal. It doesn't fit Heisley's idea of how to build a contender -- large overpaid contract, questionable talent and character, older veteran who doesn't fit their youth movement.