Author Topic: Drafting in lottery then looking to trade vets?  (Read 5872 times)

Re: Drafting in lottery then looking to trade vets?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 11:14:17 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
The Clippers will probably try hard to trade Randolph, but I don't see it happening.

Hollinger laid out an idea of Jaric, Milicic and the 27th pick for Randolph. Both guys are useless, but they could at least rationalize it, take a decent young project with the pick, getting back a decent gaurd of lore in Jaric, and be rid of Z-Bo.  I'd do it if i were LAC. But of course if i were LAC, i never would have a) traded for  Zach ******' Randolph, or b) hired Don Dunlevy. Amazing how often times the average NBA fan can make far wiser decisions than incredibly wealthy team owners.
Memphis won't be interested in that deal. It doesn't fit Heisley's idea of how to build a contender -- large overpaid contract, questionable talent and character, older veteran who doesn't fit their youth movement.

think the idea was to come up with the worst possible trade ideas and see if they're feasible -- which of course none are. what GM would trade for ZBo?

i refute you're statement about 'heisley's idea of how to build a contender'. he doesn't have illusions about building a contender -- he looks for young talent to attract sales, but knows and has known since very early on he will never have a team capable of contending. he knows he'll sell the team before they win. so keep talent high and costs low. if darko had another year, or greg buckner could go in -- maybe he'd do the deal as a straight up salary flex. plus he'd get rid of the 27th pick -- what team losing money wants to pay a guy 1st round $$ at the bottom of the 1st round?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)