Author Topic: Chris Lofton  (Read 14556 times)

Re: Chris Lofton
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 02:01:41 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
Yeah he's good great shooter and I think he was good on D right?

Once again, I'd compare him to Eddie - he puts in the effort on defense, but he's too limited physically to be 'good' - too small to guard SG's, too slow to guard most PG's.

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 05:26:29 PM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 18
  • GM - NYK
Yeah he's good great shooter and I think he was good on D right?

Once again, I'd compare him to Eddie - he puts in the effort on defense, but he's too limited physically to be 'good' - too small to guard SG's, too slow to guard most PG's.

I would compare him to Rondo a little bit on defense. They're both from the SEC school of defense, Rondo being much better. However, Chris over-pursues a little bit more than Rondo and tends to be a bit more successful in that aspect.
CB Draft - New York Knicks
PG: George Hill / Nate Robinson
SG: Dwyane Wade / Gerald Henderson / Christian Eyenga
SF:  Grant Hill / Paul George / Earl Clark
PF:  Kenyon Martin / Jordan Hill / (Earl Clark)
C:   Greg Oden / Kurt Thomas / Hilton Armstong

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 05:29:56 PM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • GM - NYK
There is one major thing that I think would give Lofton the edge over Eddie:  he's a decent ballhandler.  He can and will slash if given the opportunity, and even with his only-decent athleticism and first step he can make it work because defenders have to get in his grill to keep him from shooting. 

Obviously, Eddie is a proven success in the NBA while Lofton has only torched Turkey.  Still, I think Lofton is an NBA player, hopefully sooner rather than later - like others here before me, I'm a huge fan of Chris Lofton.

I would agree with you on this one, he is a little under athletic but he has a very nice first step and he can finish with the best of them. He has played against NBA talent in his college days too, most recognizably taking it to Kevin Durant in a triple overtime win by Tennessee. Outscoring and out rebounding Durant in that effort.

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 11:13:26 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

He is about the same height as Eddie House and I believe even now he would be a much more consistent shooter off the bench for us.

I wouldn't say that much.  He doesn't come close to the point guard skills that House has which says a lot because House doesn't have much.  He's more comparable to Allan Ray in my opinion then Eddie House.
do it

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 12:37:47 PM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • GM - NYK
I think it's a popularly misconstrued idea that Chris doesn't have point guard skills. When he is needed to pass the ball he is capable of a 7-10 assist game given the minutes. But that being said he is not a point guard and honestly I'm kind of sick of people saying because he's undersized he can't play the 2 spot in the NBA. It didn't stop him in college, it hasn't stopped him in Euro ball. He's been progressing so what makes people think all of a sudden things are just going to change? Obviously it's the NBA and defense is harder but Chris can create a shot for himself right up there with the best of them. And as far as I'm concerned if he can drop 35 points on a 6'9 Kevin Durant then he can go game in and out against 6-4, 6-6 guys.

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 12:48:09 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I was a big fan of Lofton in college, had he not gotten sick, he would have been a 2nd round pick.  He's in the mold of Eddie House, JJ Reddick, etc etc.  He's a shooter, and a lights out one at that.  I'd give him a run in the summer, see how he does against NBA guys, see if he can play an Eddie House styled game.

He is about the same height as Eddie House and I believe even now he would be a much more consistent shooter off the bench for us.

YOu can be more consistent than 44%? I mean , I'm all for binkies ( WESLEY MATTHEWS!)but c'mon.

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 01:00:05 PM »

Offline RickyDavisfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
hehehe i just remember when rondo kicked chris lofton in the face... i still have a picture on my cellphone of it, i can't find it on google anywhere... its pretty funny though.

wait: found it.

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 01:03:22 PM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • GM - NYK
hehehe i just remember when rondo kicked chris lofton in the face... i still have a picture on my cellphone of it, i can't find it on google anywhere... its pretty funny though.

But what's great about that is Chris still made the shot.

I was a big fan of Lofton in college, had he not gotten sick, he would have been a 2nd round pick.  He's in the mold of Eddie House, JJ Reddick, etc etc.  He's a shooter, and a lights out one at that.  I'd give him a run in the summer, see how he does against NBA guys, see if he can play an Eddie House styled game.

YOu can be more consistent than 44%? I mean , I'm all for binkies ( WESLEY MATTHEWS!)but c'mon.

Well you can be, I'd take Chris' 48.2% on threes and 62.7% on twos. And I mean if you can make 17 out of 22 threes in one game...

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 01:10:12 PM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • GM - NYK

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 01:11:51 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think it's a popularly misconstrued idea that Chris doesn't have point guard skills. When he is needed to pass the ball he is capable of a 7-10 assist game given the minutes. But that being said he is not a point guard and honestly I'm kind of sick of people saying because he's undersized he can't play the 2 spot in the NBA. It didn't stop him in college, it hasn't stopped him in Euro ball. He's been progressing so what makes people think all of a sudden things are just going to change? Obviously it's the NBA and defense is harder but Chris can create a shot for himself right up there with the best of them. And as far as I'm concerned if he can drop 35 points on a 6'9 Kevin Durant then he can go game in and out against 6-4, 6-6 guys.

Durant didn't cover him.  He may have dropped 35 points on Kevin Durant's team, but not on Kevin Durant.  Also, I don't think he has the ability to get a 7-10 assist game.  This a guy who didn't average more then 2 assists a game in college.  His ball handling is worse then Eddie House and I think House is more athletic.  You can compare him to House all you want, with his 17-22 from 3 for a game, but remember what Eddie House did in college too.  He scored 61 points in a game his senior year.  Also, he averaged 5.5 rebounds his senior year, 3.5 assists and 2.3 steals.  He may be a solid 13-15 guy on an NBA roster, but I don't think you can put him at the Eddie House level of being a rotation player.
do it

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 01:18:01 PM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • GM - NYK

Durant didn't cover him.  He may have dropped 35 points on Kevin Durant's team, but not on Kevin Durant.  Also, I don't think he has the ability to get a 7-10 assist game.  This a guy who didn't average more then 2 assists a game in college.  His ball handling is worse then Eddie House and I think House is more athletic.  You can compare him to House all you want, with his 17-22 from 3 for a game, but remember what Eddie House did in college too.  He scored 61 points in a game his senior year.  Also, he averaged 5.5 rebounds his senior year, 3.5 assists and 2.3 steals.  He may be a solid 13-15 guy on an NBA roster, but I don't think you can put him at the Eddie House level of being a rotation player.

Actually, Durant did cover him as an attempt to slow him down, obviously didn't work. He is capable of dishing out 7-10 assists when needed and has done it. As far as athleticism goes I would say they're about even honestly, neither are very outstanding. As far as I'm concerned if Eddie House and Daniel Gibson can contribute off the bench to two very good team, Chris can too.

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 02:14:01 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

Well you can be, I'd take Chris' 48.2% on threes and 62.7% on twos. And I mean if you can make 17 out of 22 threes in one game...

In the Turkish league.

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 04:02:25 PM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • GM - NYK

In the Turkish league.

Basketball is basketball, just ask Hedo Turkoglu.

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 04:06:45 PM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • GM - NYK
And to add to that, that is what he was doing his junior year of college when ever wanted him to enter the draft. But he got cancer and continued at UT and performed very sub par but I mean recovering from chemo what can you do? It's clear he's back in game form and his play is showing it.

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 04:33:52 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

In the Turkish league.

Basketball is basketball, just ask Hedo Turkoglu.

Basketball is not basketball. Hedo is also a bad case study for this argument as it took him 7 years before he progressed beyond a mid-level player in the NBA. The reason being that, while talented, Hedo was not ready for the speed, athleticism and basketball ability of the NBA.

If Basketball was Basketball, then the NBA wouldn't be the best league in the world, Lithuania wouldn't have made the medal round in the Olympics more times since 1992 than any team not named the United States, And the Spanish League wouldn't have produced more players in the NBA than the Turkish.

I don't think its a given that Lofton's shooting percentage would instantly translate in the NBA, and I think its a tad ridiculous to think that he could be more consistent than 44% for an entire season,his first, at this level. Especially when only one person in the NBA this year shot more threes and made a higher percentage than Eddie this year.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 04:51:45 PM by KCattheStripe »