Author Topic: Ricky Rubio is gonna be in the NBA next season  (Read 7956 times)

Re: Ricky Rubio is gonna be in the NBA next season
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 09:36:11 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I think this is a bad decision from Rubio. I believe La Penya will be somewhat flexible with the buyout, in terms of allowing deferred payments.

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 01:26:41 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think this is a bad decision from Rubio. I believe La Penya will be somewhat flexible with the buyout, in terms of allowing deferred payments.
Why is this a bad decision?

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 01:28:14 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
weak draft dont know much about him but not to many european players have been good.
Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, Jose Calderon, Drazen Petrovic, Detlef Shrempf, Toni Kukoc, Tony Parker, Biedrins, Kirilenko, Dino Radja, Ilgauskus, plus lesser (but decent or still developing) players like Turiaf, Batum, Diaw... It's a long list, with plenty of good players on it.

I bet Rubio goes second after Griffin.

Add Sabonis to that list.
And a TP for speaking the truth.

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
weak draft dont know much about him but not to many european players have been good.
Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, Jose Calderon, Drazen Petrovic, Detlef Shrempf, Toni Kukoc, Tony Parker, Biedrins, Kirilenko, Dino Radja, Ilgauskus, plus lesser (but decent or still developing) players like Turiaf, Batum, Diaw... It's a long list, with plenty of good players on it.

Yup Ginobli should also be on that list. There are likely even more we're forgetting about. Where you're born doesn't mean squat about how much you can ball.

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 01:55:05 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Yup Ginobli should also be on that list. There are likely even more we're forgetting about. Where you're born doesn't mean squat about how much you can ball.

Exactly.

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 02:08:53 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Divac.

Yao for foreign.

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 03:00:10 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Fotsis ?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Staying on topic i think Rubio should stay 1-2 seasons in Europe and take game time first. Euroleague will do very good to him

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 03:00:34 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I think its tough to say whether its a bad decision or not, until we see who drafts him.  If he ends up in a good situation, then I can't see a problem with it.

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 02:03:38 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
I like Brandon Jennings more.

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 02:17:44 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669

Gimme some Jiri Welsch love!

Anybody? Bueller?

Well how about Stojakovic and Turkoglu too then
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 02:50:12 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Gimme some Jiri Welsch love!

Anybody? Bueller?

Well how about Stojakovic and Turkoglu too then

Jaric love?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 03:37:11 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Ginobili is South American, but the South American players tend to play pro in Europe before the NBA, so they are kinda European.

Has anyone done a statistical comparison of the relationship between career success and draft position for US and non-US players? For example, compare the careers of US #1s and Euro #1, and all other draft positions.

Another interesting study would be the distance of actual draft position for career success order to see if Euro's or US players are more likely to be overvalued or undervalued. For example, if player A was drafted 10th, but ended up the 20th most successful player drafted (including undrafted draft entries from that year), than the distance would be -10. We could average these numbers (and the absolute values of these numbers) for all players in past drafts.

It is tough to classify players at times. Should Olowakandi be considered Euro, though he didn't really play ball abroad and went to college in the US, where he started playing ball? Should Ewing and Mutombo be considered non-US players when their training was also in the US? Should Dalembert be considered Hatian, Canadian, or what? Perhaps the borderline cases should be excluded from the analysis.