Author Topic: Notable Misses with Yabu pick  (Read 4405 times)

Re: Notable Misses with Yabu pick
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2019, 01:57:50 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Let’s be honest.  Danny has more misses then hits in the draft outside the top 14. 

I would suspect that is true of almost all GMs.  The Spurs have historically nailed late #1s consistently.  Most other franchises don't.

Exactly!! How about the teams that miss on lottery picks? Easy to play Monday morning quarterback but drafting in real time is difficult.

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2019, 02:19:40 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
who ever picks for the spurs or scout s ....knows what the bad word he is doing .

They pick as good as Charlotte picks awful .

Sometimes Im amazed at Bulls finding nuggets . But some teams can not seem to build even after they are gifted multiple players who turn out to,be top 50 .   Kings , Hornets.  Knicks , Nets , etc ....find a way to loose out .

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2019, 02:37:46 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
KD said no, so therefore there was no need to have the ability to offer him a second max slot along with Horford.

Okay......

He "said no" well after the draft. If Ainge had pulled out of the AD sweepstakes just to keep a couple of late first rounders, he would have been (rightfully) crucified

It didn't work out in the end, but that doesn't mean it was the wrong move to make
I'm bitter.

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2019, 02:45:57 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Let’s be honest.  Danny has more misses then hits in the draft outside the top 14. 

I would suspect that is true of almost all GMs.  The Spurs have historically nailed late #1s consistently.  Most other franchises don't.
The Raptors won a championship with a team of players drafted late[/b]. Yabu was to be a stash I will give Danny some grace. Bradley and KO have done well. Yabu I don't think Brad was in on. I think Brad had the say on these picks this year. Danny is not a Top 5 drafter for sure. We only now have the J's from the Trade.
Hopefully Romeo will be great.

How many if those guys were actually drafted by the Raptors? Like 1 or 2 rotation guys?

No one is disputing that late picks sometimes end up as stars/great players. The issue is that it's a crap shoot that late in the draft, and everybody wiffs sometimes
I'm bitter.

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2019, 02:53:24 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547

#16 Yabu
 #23 Zizic

17 Baldwin 18 Ellenson

19 Beasley athletic scorer was not interested
20 Lavert I was intrigued by him, I take guys like him

27 Siakam
28 Skal
29 Dejounte Murray
30 D Jones
31 Deyonta Davis
32 Zubac
33 Diallo, liked him prefraft
35 Brogdon

I was personally interested in this entire group above.

I didn't scout Siakim at all. I loved Levert the most. Brogdon and Diallo.

Crazy we could have had

Jaylen Brown
Caris Levert
Paskal Siakim
Malcolm Brogdon
Zubac or Diallo

Last two are if we never made the trade for two seconds for future first.

You should cross every name off this list who was not a potential draft-and-stash player. Those 2 picks were not going to be used for anyone who would have taken up cap space that year. Boston drafted Brown with #3 and 2 players to stash overseas. They used the cap space to sign Horford and Hayward.
this.

the goal after Brown was drafting players he could stash, period.  I have little doubt that if Danny was drafting with a goal of bringing them onto the team immediately, he'd have taken players other than Yabu and Zizic.
Thing is, the C's ended up retaining Demetrius Jackson a 2nd round pick from that same draft.  Mickey and Young also stuck around that team.  Both were worthless.

In other words, there was absolutely no reason to waste any draft picks.  That said, I actually think Zizic was a quality pick.  He looks like he has a real shot at being at least a quality rotational player if not more.  Obviously not as good as Siakam, Murray, or Brogdon (and maybe Zubac), but not any where close to a bust like Yabu was. 
the difference is Yabu and Zizic were guaranteed contracts as first rounders if they weren't stashed.  That's different from the second rounders you're using as examples
That makes absolutely no difference to the discussion.  The reason he wanted draft and stash players was because the C's had a roster crunch issue.  It wasn't about contract size, it was about shear volume of players.  The fact that they ended up keeping Demetrius Jackson seriously undermines that argument though (they cut the guaranteed contract of RJ Hunter to keep DJ).  The C's easily could have selected a quality player at 16 and then just cut Hunter.  Still take Zizic (or Yabu) at 23 and just add another draft and stash or DLeague type player at 45 (which might have still been DJ) very similar to what the C's did at 58 with Nader.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2019, 03:18:35 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
KD said no, so therefore there was no need to have the ability to offer him a second max slot along with Horford.

Okay......

He "said no" well after the draft. If Ainge had pulled out of the AD sweepstakes just to keep a couple of late first rounders, he would have been (rightfully) crucified

It didn't work out in the end, but that doesn't mean it was the wrong move to make
Whatever scenario Ainge/Zarren had for the double max in 2016-2017 relied on the 16 and 23 picks have no cap effect that year.

The fact that we are arguing as to whether or not the stashing was necessary boggles my mind. It was necessary to go into the KD meeting and pitch getting two max players.