Author Topic: Celtics waive and then resign Jabari Parker  (Read 9368 times)

Re: Celtics waive and then resign Jabari Parker
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2021, 12:18:29 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I didn’t think you could waive and then resign a player on a friendlier deal. Wasn’t this banned after the Gary Payton Celtics trade?

In the Gary Payton deal, I believe he gave up money through a renegotiation and then resigned.  In this case, the Celtics waived him, paid him what we was owed, and then resigned him.  That’s legit.

Re: Celtics waive and the resign Jabari Parker
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2021, 12:50:51 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Maybe I should know this already, but are the Celtics in the luxury tax at this point? If so, is there a way for them to get u see the tax line during the season?

There’s an article in celticsblog that says the team saved around $500k from the luxury tax as a result of this move. Perhaps there was an agreement with Jabari that if nobody claimed him off waivers then the Cs would be open to resigning him. The article also says that this new contract would probably be guaranteed by January 10.

Here’s then link:
https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/10/19/22735581/report-boston-celtics-to-re-sign-jabari-parker

Thanks. It's still not clear to me if they're trapped as a tax-paying team this year, or if they could conceivably get under. This is a big deal because you don't want to start the clock on the repeater tax if you can avoid it, especially with Smart and Williams's extensions kicking in next year.

Anyone with information or opinions on this, I would appreciate it.

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2021, 01:07:35 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Maybe I should know this already, but are the Celtics in the luxury tax at this point? If so, is there a way for them to get u see the tax line during the season?

There’s an article in celticsblog that says the team saved around $500k from the luxury tax as a result of this move. Perhaps there was an agreement with Jabari that if nobody claimed him off waivers then the Cs would be open to resigning him. The article also says that this new contract would probably be guaranteed by January 10.

Here’s then link:
https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/10/19/22735581/report-boston-celtics-to-re-sign-jabari-parker

Thanks. It's still not clear to me if they're trapped as a tax-paying team this year, or if they could conceivably get under. This is a big deal because you don't want to start the clock on the repeater tax if you can avoid it, especially with Smart and Williams's extensions kicking in next year.

This deal makes it easier to get under the tax than it would have had they not released Parker, but more difficult to get under the tax than it would have been if they kept the roster spot open.  It is unlikely to be decisive as to whether they get under the tax or not, however.

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2021, 01:24:06 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Here’s then link:

If we’re not a contender by the deadline, I think we could trade Schroder to get below the tax.

I think Grant + Kanter would get us under the tax as well. 

A lot depends on whether guys like their bonuses, such as JB making the All-Star team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2021, 01:58:55 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67

Here’s then link:

If we’re not a contender by the deadline, I think we could trade Schroder to get below the tax.

I think Grant + Kanter would get us under the tax as well. 

A lot depends on whether guys like their bonuses, such as JB making the All-Star team.

Yes, this. Additionally, I believe trading Juancho alone without taking salary back gets us under. So it is definitely doable.

In terms of opinions on the tax, I would much prefer that they are aggressive as a buyer at the deadline (which would of course mean staying in the tax this year). The Jays are ready to compete NOW. This team as is should be pretty good, but I think we would all agree it is below the true contender tier of Milwaukee, Brooklyn and maybe the Lakers/Jazz/Suns depending on how you feel about the top of the West.

We should be going hard after trying to add a major talent (Beal, Lillard, Towns, Siakam, etc,) to the Jays this year, so we have them for the playoffs. If we're decent but not great and use the trade deadline to duck the tax (yet again) this year, that puts a ton of pressure on next summer to be THE time when we get our roster into championship contention mode. If they strike out on making aggressive moves to jump to contender status at both the deadline and this summer, I would basically be out on Wyc as an owner who is serious about winning championships.

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2021, 02:27:31 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
With Parker or not, we are in position to go either way.  We can bring in players along the way with TPEs, thus adding salary, or we could probably dump some players as others have said such as Schroder (who probably won't sign with us anyway) or JHern, who is not all that important and be under the tax for the season.  I think it is brilliant that the Celtics have set themselves up with that flexibility.

To me it is strange how the NBA does it but if I understand correctly, tax is determined based on the team salary at the end of the season, not based on what you actually paid through out the season.  So we could pay Al for the first half of the season but if we trade him at the deadline and take little or nothing back (not all that likely but just giving an example), our salary for tax purposes would be whatever it is without Al counted, even though we would have already paid him say $13M.

Trading Schroder for a pick for example to a team that has a TPE and needs a PG seems like a very viable scenario, if we decide to go that route.  He will be a UFA in any case so we probably don't keep him anyway.  Rules prevent us from paying above some limit where as other teams can pay him whatever they want.

« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2021, 02:43:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
With Parker or not, we are in position to go either way.  We can bring in players along the way with TPEs, thus adding salary, or we could probably dump some players as others have said such as Schroder (who probably won't sign with us anyway) or JHern, who is not all that important and be under the tax for the season.  I think it is brilliant that the Celtics have set themselves up with that flexibility.

To me it is strange how the NBA does it but if I understand correctly, tax is determined based on the team salary at the end of the season, not based on what you actually paid through out the season.  So we could pay Al for the first half of the season but if we trade him at the deadline and take little or nothing back (not all that likely but just giving an example), our salary for tax purposes would be whatever it is without Al counted, even though we would have already paid him say $13M.

Trading Schroder for a pick for example to a team that has a TPE and needs a PG seems like a very viable scenario, if we decide to go that route.  He will be a UFA in any case so we probably don't keep him anyway.  Rules prevent us from paying above some limit where as other teams can pay him whatever they want.

I think Schroeder's value to the team this season far outweighs his trade value, so it is unlikely he will be moved.  J Rich much more likely. 

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2021, 02:51:28 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I think Schroeder's value to the team this season far outweighs his trade value, so it is unlikely he will be moved.  J Rich much more likely.

I think it depends.  Richardson is in the team's short-term plans, based upon the extension he signed.  Schroder may be a goner (although my personal hope is that we can sign him one more year at the MLE, and then give him a suitable contract).

But, if we're the 6th seed at the deadline, and some team offers us a protected first rounder for him, I think Schroder would be moved.  It's similar to what we did with Theis, except there we didn't really land any value whatsoever.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2021, 02:59:26 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125

I think it depends.  Richardson is in the team's short-term plans, based upon the extension he signed.  Schroder may be a goner (although my personal hope is that we can sign him one more year at the MLE, and then give him a suitable contract).

But, if we're the 6th seed at the deadline, and some team offers us a protected first rounder for him, I think Schroder would be moved.  It's similar to what we did with Theis, except there we didn't really land any value whatsoever.

Exactly. You don't have Schroder's bird rights at the end of this season, so his value to the team is purely about this season and this season only. If the front office doesn't believe the team is a contender this year, you absolutely trade him. If you pick up a first-rounder, for instance, that's useful in the offseason in a possible trade for a 3rd star, if such a star comes available.

« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2021, 03:15:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Yeah, it does depend on how we are doing. I am assuming/hoping we will finish top 4, in which event keeping DS for our playoff run makes the most sense.  I also am skeptical we could get a protected first round pick for Schroeder since he doesn't come with Bird rights.  Unless you're talking top 20 protected. Not lottery protected.

« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2021, 06:23:41 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Good management. Thought he earned the roster spot.

I did too. I was disappointed by the news that he was being waived (probably more than I should have been) and now I'm happy to have him "back" (probably more than I should be).
Me too, on both counts!  Glad he’s back.

« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2021, 06:40:54 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Hey, everybody, turn on the game.  The Astros have a no hitter going.

Nice job. That ended quickly

« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2021, 06:42:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Wrong thread or not, it worked.

Still, did you notice the Astros have a shutout brewing?

« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2021, 06:44:05 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570

Wrong thread or not, it worked.

Still, did you notice the Astros have a shutout brewing?

Guess it only works once. 😁

« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2021, 07:16:36 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm glad he's back. I'm sure there will be times when the Cs can use his instant offense.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis