Author Topic: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (20-62, #1)  (Read 348618 times)

Re: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (8-30, #1 on 1/12)
« Reply #1215 on: January 14, 2017, 10:24:38 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Phoenix just beat San Antonio in Mexico City, putting them 5 wins more than the Nets. The gap keeps growing! Now if only Miami would win some more.
awesome.  Miami seems to be the biggest threat now.  And the Lakers will probably go full-blown tank mode in an effort to keep their pick in this loaded draft.
Miami definitely is a threat but the Lakers are well out of striking distance with 15 wins.

« Reply #1216 on: January 14, 2017, 10:29:23 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Philly won too.  Don't look now, they're 5-5 in their last 10 games and on a franchise record 3 game win streak.
They are 8-7 since December 8th.

And they still have the 5th-worst record in the NBA.  Quality team.

Meanwhile, the Celtics are 12-3 in their last 15, but keep celebrating Philly's month of mediocrity after 3+ years of embarrassing basketball.
8-7 with Embiid limited to 28 minutes per game and Simmons yet to suit up.

8 wins over the 20/20 Hornets and 6 other non-playoff teams in the:

Knicks
Nets x 2
TWolves
Nuggets
Pistons
Pelicans

Truly "impressive."  ::)

Impressive for what was basically the worst team in the NBA for what like 5 years, more?
if you guys aren't watching Embiid right now you are missing out on the most entertaining player we've seen in years.

While Embiid sure is talented, I'm not sure I'd agree with the adjective "most."  To me, Giannis, Towns, and Porzingis are all very talented and exciting young players in their own rights. 

I love the international flavor of the next generation.
Yeah like I said... the entire Embiid Experience is Next-Level entertainment that transcends just basketball.   Like the Sixers having a Shirley Temple night in honor of his favorite drink... or ongoing twitter campaign to make him an all-star so he can get a date with Rihanna... or him convincing Dan Patrick he killed a Lion as a 6 year old and brought it back to his village... or him trolling Chandler Parsons on instagram... or the other day when he came out to Triple H's entrance music and spat water all over himself.   The Embiid experience offers daily shenanigans outside of bball and it's pretty telling that just 27 games into his NBA career he has more all-star votes over an extremely popular and relatable player in the midst of his best season helping his team get far more wins (Thomas).     I haven't seen anything like this since Shaq in terms of a big man becoming this beloved this quickly. 

His on-court personality is equally bombastic.  But then in the actual game, his freakish unicorn offensive ability and game-changing defensive ability are pretty incredible for the young player.  You can already get a sense of how dominant he can be once he adapts to the NBA game and he's unleashed without a minutes restriction.

Sorry, personal preference.  I'm not that interested in the Rihanna and Shirley Temple and Twitter celebrity stuff.  But, I agree that he's a talented prospect.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #1217 on: January 14, 2017, 11:41:20 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Philly won too.  Don't look now, they're 5-5 in their last 10 games and on a franchise record 3 game win streak.

Meanwhile, the Celtics are 12-3 in their last 15, but keep celebrating Philly's month of mediocrity after 3+ years of embarrassing basketball.

Knicks
Nets x 2
TWolves
Nuggets
Pistons
Pelicans

Impressive for what was basically the worst team in the NBA for what like 5 years, more?
if you guys aren't watching Embiid right now you are missing out on the most entertaining player we've seen in years.

While Embiid sure is talented, I'm not sure I'd agree with the adjective "most."  To me, Giannis, Towns, and Porzingis are all very talented and exciting young players in their own rights. 

Yeah like I said... the entire Embiid Experience is Next-Level entertainment that transcends just basketball.   Like the Sixers having a Shirley Temple night in honor of his favorite drink... or ongoing twitter campaign to make him an all-star so he can get a date with Rihanna... or him convincing Dan Patrick he killed a Lion as a 6 year old and brought it back to his village... or him trolling Chandler Parsons on instagram... or the other day when he came out to Triple H's entrance music and spat water all over himself.   The Embiid experience offers daily shenanigans outside of bball and it's pretty telling that just 27 games into his NBA career he has more all-star votes over an extremely popular and relatable player in the midst of his best season helping his team get far more wins (Thomas).     I haven't seen anything like this since Shaq in terms of a big man becoming this beloved this quickly. 

His on-court personality is equally bombastic.  But then in the actual game, his freakish unicorn offensive ability and game-changing defensive ability are pretty incredible for the young player.  You can already get a sense of how dominant he can be once he adapts to the NBA game and he's unleashed without a minutes restriction.

Beat me to it. I was about to mention Shaq as well. Basketball wise, while I find him vvery entertaining to watch, Im still having a hard time staying glued because of how atrocious the Sixers are.

« Reply #1218 on: January 15, 2017, 12:35:31 AM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004

Knicks
Nets x 2
TWolves
Nuggets
Pistons
Pelicans

Jeez.  Mention "Sixers" or "76ers" and any thread on C'sBlog will be hijacked and transformed into one of dozens of LarBrd33's lovefests for Embiid and the 76ers "process".  I simply brought up Philly's recent wins as it relates to Brooklyn's pick, and it devolves into yet another Philly discussion.

Don't get me wrong.  I don't mind your opinions, even though I disagree with most of your basketball assessments - especially your recent assessments of Brooklyn and the quality of their team - and even if they're posted merely to provoke specific reactions from other posters here.  But is there beyond but a few posts where you can bring up discussion other than Embiid's greatness and Philly's purported next decade of dominance?  I think every regular poster here already knows your fetish for the 76ers and their shameless "process" of a rebuild.  There's no need to discuss it over and over.  I'm far more impressed with what Ainge has managed to accomplish of recent than what Hinkie did.  We're 3rd in the East, currently have the best odds at the #1 pick, and have basically a guaranteed top 5 pick.  What other franchise has that?

Back to Brooklyn - and OUR pick.  We're exactly where we want to be.

« Reply #1219 on: January 15, 2017, 01:14:34 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Knicks
Nets x 2
TWolves
Nuggets
Pistons
Pelicans

Jeez.  Mention "Sixers" or "76ers" and any thread on C'sBlog will be hijacked and transformed into one of dozens of LarBrd33's lovefests for Embiid and the 76ers "process".  I simply brought up Philly's recent wins as it relates to Brooklyn's pick, and it devolves into yet another Philly discussion.

Don't get me wrong.  I don't mind your opinions, even though I disagree with most of your basketball assessments - especially your recent assessments of Brooklyn and the quality of their team - and even if they're posted merely to provoke specific reactions from other posters here.  But is there beyond but a few posts where you can bring up discussion other than Embiid's greatness and Philly's purported next decade of dominance?  I think every regular poster here already knows your fetish for the 76ers and their shameless "process" of a rebuild.  There's no need to discuss it over and over.  I'm far more impressed with what Ainge has managed to accomplish of recent than what Hinkie did.  We're 3rd in the East, currently have the best odds at the #1 pick, and have basically a guaranteed top 5 pick.  What other franchise has that?

If I could give you 50 TPs for this post, I would.

Here's one to start.

Re: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (8-31, #1 on 1/14)
« Reply #1220 on: January 15, 2017, 02:00:03 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Hope it's okay to say that the 76ers lost to the Wiz this evening.

« Reply #1221 on: January 15, 2017, 02:18:06 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Knicks
Nets x 2
TWolves
Nuggets
Pistons
Pelicans

Yeah.  Philly's recent string of wins is great for our Brooklyn pick, for sure.  Also the great thing is that there doesn't seem to be any consensus #1 pick in this draft yet, but multiple players thought to be worthy of a #1 pick.  So even if the pick ends up 5-8, we should be in great position.  Trust the process.

« Reply #1222 on: January 15, 2017, 05:25:32 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Knicks
Nets x 2
TWolves
Nuggets
Pistons
Pelicans

Yeah.  Philly's recent string of wins is great for our Brooklyn pick, for sure.  Also the great thing is that there doesn't seem to be any consensus #1 pick in this draft yet, but multiple players thought to be worthy of a #1 pick.  So even if the pick ends up 5-8, we should be in great position.  Trust the process.
Yeah and as the celtics we should be looking to trade the brk pick to philly if it goes 1 with some more assets like rozier, Mem pick and philly gets something like 3 and 8. I think philly is really desperate for fultz while we can still afford to draft a guy like ball or giles and wait for them to develop. If this happens, I would like to select Giles and monk (gives us a big with star potential and another potential big time scorer).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #1223 on: January 15, 2017, 04:05:10 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
No Lopez tonight and they play Houston. Time to increase our lead in the loss column.

« Reply #1224 on: January 15, 2017, 04:21:33 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Im concerned with this Miami team. I think they can be legitimately worse than Brooklyn.

« Reply #1225 on: January 15, 2017, 04:33:27 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Im concerned with this Miami team. I think they can be legitimately worse than Brooklyn.
Me too. They know how to get it done. Winning the title or mini-tanking regardless.
Dallas looks primed for a good week here and there.
Minny will have something figured out at one point.
Lakers are 3rd in losses. Beware. They have a lot to lose there.
We have to look at the loss column, cause that is a certain, secure number. If "we" win there, we are good.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #1226 on: January 15, 2017, 04:39:02 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
We have to look at the loss column, cause that is a certain, secure number.
Couldn't disagree more.  With teams that rarely win, the WIN column is WAY more important than the loss column.  The Lakers have 15 wins.  Brooklyn has 8 wins in 1/2 the season.  By the time Brooklyn gets to 15 wins ... what worst case 25 games from now ... even if the Lakers only win 4 games in that time (which is highly unlikely), the Nets would still have to make up 4 games in the last 16 or so.  Trust me, the Lakers are out of reach.

« Reply #1227 on: January 15, 2017, 05:02:50 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
This is a historic time to be a C's fan. Jaylen is the first of the Brooklyn Celtics(James Young does not exist) and I can't wait for the other two to get here.

« Reply #1228 on: January 15, 2017, 05:11:52 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Me too. They know how to get it done. Winning the title or mini-tanking regardless.
Dallas looks primed for a good week here and there.
Minny will have something figured out at one point.
Lakers are 3rd in losses. Beware. They have a lot to lose there.
We have to look at the loss column, cause that is a certain, secure number. If "we" win there, we are good.
I think the Lakers shouldn't be too much of a problem. From what I have seen, they seem to amass a lead and promptly give it up later in the game. I expect them to get better with that as the season continues to progress.

« Reply #1229 on: January 15, 2017, 07:41:52 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
This is a historic time to be a C's fan. Jaylen is the first of the Brooklyn Celtics(James Young does not exist) and I can't wait for the other two to get here.
Well, he is the reason we decided to not make Paul Pierce a lifetime Celtic, so frankly he better be [dang] good. Like Pierce good.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.