Author Topic: The Durant-Irving deception  (Read 9880 times)

Re: The Durant-Irving deception
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2019, 01:26:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The idea of legacy driving an athlete to the point of opting into a deal for $6.7 million less for a year and putting into jeopardy a 4 year $160+ million contract makes zero sense to me.

Durant has been planning to jump into this contract for years. IMO, Durant's strive for legacy will be on a 4 year contract where he will get paid in NYK, BKN, GSW or LAC.

Durant's taken less several times to help Golden State. Why is that so hard to fathom now? And why are you ignoring his other revenue streams?
Does this sound like a guy willing to opt in to a contract at $6.7 million less next year and put into jeopardy a $160+ million contract?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjU9vLdka3iAhXCg-AKHQSSD7wQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Farticles%2F2802945-kevin-durant-only-thinking-about-money-hes-going-to-get-not-free-agency-s-t&psig=AOvVaw0RuWVvLZtoprPWW5omk-gx&ust=1558545813489180

Nobody knows what Kevin Durant will do when he becomes a free agent at the conclusion of the 2018-19 season, but one thing is certain:

He is looking to get paid.

"I'm not thinking about none of that s--t," Durant said on Wednesday, per The Athletic's Marcus Thompson II. "I am thinking about the money I'm going to get. I never got the (massive) deal. I've just seen a bunch of dudes around the league making so much money—and I'm happy for them. But I know I deserve that, too. That's the only thing I'm probably thinking about, to be honest."

« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2019, 02:55:11 PM »

Offline Never Nervous Pervis

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
The idea of legacy driving an athlete to the point of opting into a deal for $6.7 million less for a year and putting into jeopardy a 4 year $160+ million contract makes zero sense to me.

Durant has been planning to jump into this contract for years. IMO, Durant's strive for legacy will be on a 4 year contract where he will get paid in NYK, BKN, GSW or LAC.

Durant's taken less several times to help Golden State. Why is that so hard to fathom now? And why are you ignoring his other revenue streams?
Does this sound like a guy willing to opt in to a contract at $6.7 million less next year and put into jeopardy a $160+ million contract?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjU9vLdka3iAhXCg-AKHQSSD7wQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Farticles%2F2802945-kevin-durant-only-thinking-about-money-hes-going-to-get-not-free-agency-s-t&psig=AOvVaw0RuWVvLZtoprPWW5omk-gx&ust=1558545813489180

Nobody knows what Kevin Durant will do when he becomes a free agent at the conclusion of the 2018-19 season, but one thing is certain:

"I'm not thinking about none of that s--t," Durant said on Wednesday, per The Athletic's Marcus Thompson II. "I am thinking about the money I'm going to get. I never got the (massive) deal. I've just seen a bunch of dudes around the league making so much money—and I'm happy for them. But I know I deserve that, too. That's the only thing I'm probably thinking about, to be honest."

That's from last October. Here's a more recent one from December where he stresses environment and accountability.

"I want to dictate the environment that I want to be in," he said. "You can't give me the bells and whistles. ... I would rather see what you do on a day-to-day basis. Like that stuff really impress me like arenas and doing extra s--t just for me? Like nah. I just want to see if you are a real person."

Durant, who can opt out of his contract and become a free agent this season, also said he wanted to see if his new team would hold people accountable and provide an environment where everyone would enjoy basketball and work on a daily basis.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2812376-kevin-durant-on-free-agency-nobody-can-recruit-me-no-more

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2019, 03:33:36 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Its AD or bust this summer

its the Lakers vs Celtics for his services  do or die for Leturd

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2019, 03:34:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

That's from last October. Here's a more recent one from December where he stresses environment and accountability.

"I want to dictate the environment that I want to be in," he said. "You can't give me the bells and whistles. ... I would rather see what you do on a day-to-day basis. Like that stuff really impress me like arenas and doing extra s--t just for me? Like nah. I just want to see if you are a real person."

Durant, who can opt out of his contract and become a free agent this season, also said he wanted to see if his new team would hold people accountable and provide an environment where everyone would enjoy basketball and work on a daily basis.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2812376-kevin-durant-on-free-agency-nobody-can-recruit-me-no-more
That article in no way discusses sacrificing getting paid so he can dictate environment or effect the day to day of the team. I think it safe to assume he wants to get paid AND dictate the environment.

« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2019, 03:59:59 PM »

• Sam Hauser

That article in no way discusses sacrificing getting paid so he can dictate environment or effect the day to day of the team. I think it safe to assume he wants to get paid AND dictate the environment.

Actually, I think it's safe to assume we really don't know what Kevin Durant is doing this summer, and placing more emphasis on one cherry-picked quote from last fall over another seems disingenuous. People change their minds about cities, companies and what values they hold dear all the time.

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2019, 04:15:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

No...I think it pretty safe to assume that not only Durant, but any player, would want to get paid as much as they could get AND dictate their environment. Heck any person in any job wants that.

What you are talking about is what will Durant or anyone else in any situation settle for...what are they willing to sacrifice to get what is most important to them. What I am saying is that it's safe to say Durant would want both and can probably get both in 2-3 places.

In Boston, Durant won't be able to do either. He won't be maxing out his earnings and the environment in Boston already exists, it's just a matter of whether he likes that environment.

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2019, 04:40:08 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Durant looks like he's taking direct shots at Golden State there.

In the first quote, where he mentions wanting to dictate the environment. He came into a situation where the team had already won a title, and the stars were Curry, Thompson, and Green. You simply don't try to make any changes in the culture of a winning environment. Then he mentions arenas and doing extra s--t doesn't impress him. Didn't the Warriors owner take Durant on a personal tour of the new arena as it was being built?

In the second quote, he talks about holing people accountantable and providing an environment where everyone enjoys basketball and working together. Is that a shot at Draymond Green?

I can see Durant going to the Clippers. Can you imagine the ego stroke of being the guy that helped change the perception of the fans in LA, with the Clippers being the preferred team over the Lakers? Especially coming off just one year later, where the Lakers made a huge free agent signing with acquiring LeBron.

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2019, 04:41:10 PM »

• Sam Hauser
No...I think it pretty safe to assume that not only Durant, but any player, would want to get paid as much as they could get AND dictate their environment. Heck any person in any job wants that.

What you are talking about is what will Durant or anyone else in any situation settle for...what are they willing to sacrifice to get what is most important to them. What I am saying is that it's safe to say Durant would want both and can probably get both in 2-3 places.

In Boston, Durant won't be able to do either. He won't be maxing out his earnings and the environment in Boston already exists, it's just a matter of whether he likes that environment.

And what I'm saying is Durant has already sacrificed "maxing out his earnings" multiple times, and more than made up for it in terms of endorsements, investment opportunities and playoff shares. So it's not beyond the realm of possibility that he does it again, for one more year.

Is it likely? Probably not. But to dismiss it as if it's preposterous is to ignore his recent history.

« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2019, 04:51:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

And what I'm saying is Durant has already sacrificed "maxing out his earnings" multiple times, and more than made up for it in terms of endorsements, investment opportunities and playoff shares. So it's not beyond the realm of possibility that he does it again, for one more year.

Is it likely? Probably not. But to dismiss it as if it's preposterous is to ignore his recent history.

But its your point, he would make this sacrifice to join the Celts?

Why?

If he continues to make this sacrifice it would be with GSW

« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2019, 04:52:54 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Deception?

not sure

but they seem like they are super tight

I expect Irving and Durant to sign with the Knicks.  Draft Barrett.

C  - Mitchell Robinson
PF - Durant
SF - Knox
SG - Barrett
PG - Irving

I agree with you that Durant and Irving to NYK is a very possible scenario but I think that Durant, prior to signing, will likely tell management that he has no intention of playing with a bunch of teenagers and will force the Knicks into the AD market using their pick plus Dallas picks plus Robinson and Knox. If they aren"t successful with AD, they will probably turn their attention to other veterans.

« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2019, 05:25:51 PM »

• Sam Hauser

But its your point, he would make this sacrifice to join the Celts?

Why?

If he continues to make this sacrifice it would be with GSW

I've already answered this but in short, he carefully considered Boston in 2016 (and was impressed with the pitch), he's good friends with Horford and Kyrie, he appreciates the history of the franchise, he respects Danny and the organization as a whole, he mentioned liking the current roster a year or two back on the Bill Simmons Podcast, and it would undeniably be his team from day one. Also, he'd still have a great chance at a title.

I do think the chances of this happening are small. But Durant marches to his own beat.

« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2019, 06:17:23 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Durant looks like he's taking direct shots at Golden State there.

In the first quote, where he mentions wanting to dictate the environment. He came into a situation where the team had already won a title, and the stars were Curry, Thompson, and Green. You simply don't try to make any changes in the culture of a winning environment. Then he mentions arenas and doing extra s--t doesn't impress him. Didn't the Warriors owner take Durant on a personal tour of the new arena as it was being built?

In the second quote, he talks about holing people accountantable and providing an environment where everyone enjoys basketball and working together. Is that a shot at Draymond Green?

I can see Durant going to the Clippers. Can you imagine the ego stroke of being the guy that helped change the perception of the fans in LA, with the Clippers being the preferred team over the Lakers? Especially coming off just one year later, where the Lakers made a huge free agent signing with acquiring LeBron.

Or he could be talking about us, we did bring Tom Brady to our last pitch with him. What does that have to do with basketball? Or (and it's my belief) he's just stating what he's looking for this time around. It doesn't have to be about potshots at anyone.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2019, 09:57:34 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
https://twitter.com/dangercart/status/1131918489248309249

Thought from Ryan Bernardoni on KD to Boston. Notes from the thread:

- KD not sacrificing money to go to the Celtics. Because of the trade kicker he'd earn only $2m less bext year but would earn $50m extra over his next contract as opposed to signing somewhere in free agency
- GSW would need to accept either Horford or Hayward and a large tax bill to facilitate and they may prefer to get nothing
- If we subsequently then went for AD, salary matching is easier if we trade Al for KD

So I don't think a loss of money would impact KD to Boston, but the tax situation in GS might.

BTW, how do you embed a tweet on this site? Can't seem to work it out :/

« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2019, 10:04:14 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
https://twitter.com/dangercart/status/1131918489248309249

Thought from Ryan Bernardoni on KD to Boston. Notes from the thread:

- KD not sacrificing money to go to the Celtics. Because of the trade kicker he'd earn only $2m less bext year but would earn $50m extra over his next contract as opposed to signing somewhere in free agency
- GSW would need to accept either Horford or Hayward and a large tax bill to facilitate and they may prefer to get nothing
- If we subsequently then went for AD, salary matching is easier if we trade Al for KD

So I don't think a loss of money would impact KD to Boston, but the tax situation in GS might.

BTW, how do you embed a tweet on this site? Can't seem to work it out :/

Thank for posting this - tp. I think fans would lose their minds if Kyrie was actually the 3rd best max contract player on the Cs rather than the best (by far). I don't care what people may think of any of these players, that would be an absolutely ridiculous team.

« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2019, 10:04:16 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
People really want ANOTHER guy who's not satisfied playing on a championship team where everyone caters to him?  Haven't we learned our lesson yet?