Author Topic: Brad Stevens said no about coaching Cousins.  (Read 20033 times)

Re: Brad Stevens said no about coaching Cousins.
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 01:23:36 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Lol if that's the case we need a new coach.  You gotta have some thick skin if you wanna coach in this league.  This ain't college buddy.

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2017, 01:25:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
A lot of the greatest sports figures have been a handful in most sports .

Joe Gibbs .....kept the mercurial NASCAR drivers Tony Stewart and Kyle Busch , won championships with them .  Many fans hated those drivers and still do.

Joe Gibbs ....a champion in two major sports ...would have signed Boogie in a heartbeat

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2017, 01:28:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Anybody think in the same situation Doc Rivers says no ?

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 01:30:04 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
If true, it makes me respect Stevens less. He's not up to the task of trying to mold a generational talent, and he's commenting on a guy he's never worked with.

Imagine if Bill Belichek had that mindset.

Ask all the guys Belichick cut when more often then not they don't work out. So much easier to cut your losses in NFL. Comparison doesn't work.

The point is, Belicheck doesn't say no to coaching guys because they're difficult.

If Cousins hadn't worked out, how much worse of a position would we have been in? It was low/moderate risk versus extremely high reward.

Why bring in BB to compare CBS

You think Popovich , Kerr would want to coach Cousins?

Kerr coaches Draymond Green. Pop coaches Stephen Jackson.

Great coaches get the best out of difficult players, they don't avoid them.

To be fair, he accepted the Celtics job knowing that he had to coach Rajon Rondo. And he did make Jordan Crawford look like a reputable NBA player.

I think he has handled headcases well, just probably passed on this one for some reason.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 01:31:49 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

No. Doc, for all his faults, was all about maximizing his chances at winning.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 01:32:55 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
If true, it makes me respect Stevens less. He's not up to the task of trying to mold a generational talent, and he's commenting on a guy he's never worked with.

Ask all the guys Belichick cut when more often then not they don't work out. So much easier to cut your losses in NFL. Comparison doesn't work.

The point is, Belicheck doesn't say no to coaching guys because they're difficult.

If Cousins hadn't worked out, how much worse of a position would we have been in? It was low/moderate risk versus extremely high reward.

Why bring in BB to compare CBS

You think Popovich , Kerr would want to coach Cousins?

Kerr coaches Draymond Green. Pop coaches Stephen Jackson.

Great coaches get the best out of difficult players, they don't avoid them.
How old is this post?  Pop kicked Jackson off his team because he wouldn't tell Ginobili that he was the better player.  And Jackson was jealous of Parker also.

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 01:33:27 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Roy, since you're a huge Cousins supporter what would you do if you're in Stevens' shoes, land Cousins and the same issues start popping up? Say he starts going coast to coast, takes ill advised shots, takes multiple possessions off, fails to get back on D, etc. ? What do you do sit him? And if that blows up on you, which it likely would, what then? How to you address it then?

The point is that with Stevens at the helm we have built a culture. Cousins would only disrupt that culture and likely undermine Stevens. If anything, I respect Stevens more for not taking this cubic zirconia.

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 01:36:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

But also Rivers could prob put Cousins in his place

CBS is more of a strategist...and this is why the Celts now like to draft/bring in naturally tough, hard working coachable players. Even if they are not the best shooters etc

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 01:40:23 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 01:42:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

CBS is more of a strategist...and this is why the Celts now like to draft/bring in naturally tough, hard working coachable players. Even if they are not the best shooters etc

Good point. And maybe this is Roy's real point in his criticism of Stevens. That Stevens may lack the personality or the former NBA player cred that would enable him to coach difficult personalities. That is a fair point.

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 01:44:17 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Roy, since you're a huge Cousins supporter what would you do if you're in Stevens' shoes, land Cousins and the same issues start popping up? Say he starts going coast to coast, takes ill advised shots, takes multiple possessions off, fails to get back on D, etc. ? What do you do sit him? And if that blows up on you, which it likely would, what then? How to you address it then?

The point is that with Stevens at the helm we have built a culture. Cousins would only disrupt that culture and likely undermine Stevens. If anything, I respect Stevens more for not taking this cubic zirconia.

Good coaches adapt their system.

If he doesn't work out, suspend him. Trade him. Waive him.  Or, like worked so well with Mike Malone, communicate with him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 01:48:08 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Belichick just sent Jamie Collins packing this year for pennies on the dollar, and Collins was generally considered an All-NFL level talent. And while I certainly don't know the inside scoop on either of these two guys, it sure looks on the outside like Cousins is the more volatile guy of the two.

I think this is one of those situations where the difference between Cousins being worth it or not requires a level of inside knowledge none of us has. I thought he was exactly what we needed, but I also wonder if maybe he's worse than we realize.

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 01:48:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Good point. And maybe this is Roy's real point in his criticism of Stevens. That Stevens may lack the personality or the former NBA player cred that would enable him to coach difficult personalities. That is a fair point.

Nothing CBS can do about this

Also CBS for the most part is a quiet guy but I bet if angry could lit up the room.  Something that could happen frequently vs Cousins

Or forced to bench Cousins... Its a waste then

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 01:51:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Good coaches adapt their system.

If he doesn't work out, suspend him. Trade him. Waive him.  Or, like worked so well with Mike Malone, communicate with him.

I disagree... Popovich doesnt bend his system for nobody. He yelled at Duncan, Parker ...

Phil Jackson never drifted far from his triangle offense

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 01:52:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I'm sure that Doc would say yes, we'd mortgage the house for Cousins, and then the whole operation will proceed to crash and burn because... well, because that's what Cousins does.

I'm glad he's somebody else's $200-million-dollar problem.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."