Author Topic: Brad Stevens said no about coaching Cousins.  (Read 20033 times)

Re: Brad Stevens said no about coaching Cousins.
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 12:53:58 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Nobody knows how truly a disruptive force Cousins was other than the Kings. I'm sure the Kings know first hand, and certain executives around the league hear rumors. For the Kings to have rid themselves of Cousins for such a merger amount... I'm sure they had no better offers. Meaning the word was out, we were seeing the tip of the iceberg. That maybe he was worse than we all were hearing.

The fact is, we may have dodged a bullet.

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 12:56:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Nobody knows how truly a disruptive force Cousins was other than the Kings. I'm sure the Kings know first hand, and certain executives around the league hear rumors. For the Kings to have rid themselves of Cousins for such a merger amount... I'm sure they had no better offers. Meaning the word was out, we were seeing the tip of the iceberg. That maybe he was worse than we all were hearing.

The fact is, we may have dodged a bullet.

You can't attribute rationale decision making to the most inept franchise in the NBA. Vlade makes Billy King look like Red.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 12:58:32 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
28 other GMs said no too.

That speaks volumes...LOUD AND CLEAR.

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 12:59:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If true, it makes me respect Stevens less. He's not up to the task of trying to mold a generational talent.

Imagine if Bill Belichek had that mindset.

That's absurd.  At this point you're letting your Cousins' bias get in the way.

Denver could have easily made the same offer for Cousins as New Orleans did.  They didn't give up too much less to get Mason Plumlee.  They also have apparently the only coach that Cousins ever seemed to play for. That they didn't step up, nor were even rumored to be trying in the last week, should say a good deal about the league wide opinion of Cousins ability to be a good teammate.

If Denver had gotten him for a package of Jamal Murray and a 1st, I'd be a little more upset, because then the front office and coaching staff that knew him best outside of Sacramento would have said "yes, he's worth the trouble." But that they stayed away same as most other teams says that the concerns were very, very real.

Comparing it to the Patriots is completely different too.  Basketball contracts are much more guaranteed than football, so jettisoning someone who doesn't work out is more difficult on the salary cap.  Furthermore, rosters are smaller, top players see a much larger percentage of action, and the ability to find someone viable in mid-year free agency is less.  Belichek, and every football team, can take a risk on a player, because the cost of him not working out is so much less. The Patriots could take a risk on sending a 5th round for Albert Haynesworth, because if he didn't work out, so what.  It's just apples and oranges.  My gut says an NBA version of Belichek wouldn't have been any more interested than Stevens. 

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 01:01:04 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
If true, it makes me respect Stevens less. He's not up to the task of trying to mold a generational talent.

Denver could have easily made the same offer for Cousins as New Orleans did.  They didn't give up too much less to get Mason Plumlee.  They also have apparently the only coach that Cousins ever seemed to play for. That they didn't step up, nor were even rumored to be trying in the last week, should say a good deal about the league wide opinion of Cousins ability to be a good teammate.

If Denver had gotten him for a package of Jamal Murray and a 1st, I'd be a little more upset, because then the front office and coaching staff that knew him best outside of Sacramento would have said "yes, he's worth the trouble." But that they stayed away same as most other teams says that the concerns were very, very real.

Comparing it to the Patriots is completely different too.  Basketball contracts are much more guaranteed than football, so jettisoning someone who doesn't work out is more difficult on the salary cap.  Furthermore, rosters are smaller, top players see a much larger percentage of action, and the ability to find someone viable in mid-year free agency is less.  Belichek, and every football team, can take a risk on a player, because the cost of him not working out is so much less. The Patriots could take a risk on sending a 5th round for Albert Haynesworth, because if he didn't work out, so what.  It's just apples and oranges.  My gut says an NBA version of Belichek wouldn't have been any more interested than Stevens.

Salty brought the hammer!!

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 01:04:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://twitter.com/AdamMKaufman/status/833719826841477120

Here you have your answer.
Can we please move on now?
Thanks

That is very simple answer by CBS lol

Cant blame him

Cousins seems like he does whatever he wants on the court

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 01:06:24 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
28 other GMs said no too.

That speaks volumes...LOUD AND CLEAR.

It doesn't, though. It's a lazy, shallow argument that doesn't hold up to common sense.

How many of those 28 teams:

1. Had a need (or a gaping hole) at center;

2. Had a recent lottery prospect;

3. Have a draft pick that could land in the lottery in the next two seasons;

4. Had expiring contracts;

5. Are an immediate playoff contender.

I'd say Boston and New Orleans, for sure. Perhaps Milwaukee (I don't know how their contracts, but I don't think they have the expiring to match). Who else have you got?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 01:09:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Makes me wonder what crap platter the Lakers were offering if New Orleans was able to beat it with this package. 

We "know" they refused to include Ingram. I'm guessing that means no Russell as well.  So maybe like Randle or Clarkson and a future 1st, plus salary matchers? Maybe they even tried to dump off Mozgov's contract in the process.

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 01:09:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If true, it makes me respect Stevens less. He's not up to the task of trying to mold a generational talent, and he's commenting on a guy he's never worked with.

Ask all the guys Belichick cut when more often then not they don't work out. So much easier to cut your losses in NFL. Comparison doesn't work.

The point is, Belicheck doesn't say no to coaching guys because they're difficult.

If Cousins hadn't worked out, how much worse of a position would we have been in? It was low/moderate risk versus extremely high reward.

Why bring in BB to compare CBS

You think Popovich , Kerr would want to coach Cousins?

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 01:14:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
https://twitter.com/AdamMKaufman/status/833719826841477120

Here you have your answer.
Can we please move on now?
Thanks

Yes and yes

Its clear not really Dannys decision

Like I have said before Dannys listens to his coaches opinion and builds a roster that best suit their needs

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 01:14:44 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Denver has Jokic, who they're building around. They're committing to youth. Malone still admires and stays in touch with DMC.

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 01:16:55 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
If true, it makes me respect Stevens less. He's not up to the task of trying to mold a generational talent, and he's commenting on a guy he's never worked with.

Ask all the guys Belichick cut when more often then not they don't work out. So much easier to cut your losses in NFL. Comparison doesn't work.

The point is, Belicheck doesn't say no to coaching guys because they're difficult.

If Cousins hadn't worked out, how much worse of a position would we have been in? It was low/moderate risk versus extremely high reward.

Why bring in BB to compare CBS

You think Popovich , Kerr would want to coach Cousins?

Kerr coaches Draymond Green. Pop coaches Stephen Jackson.

Great coaches get the best out of difficult players, they don't avoid them.

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 01:16:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Hard to believe he said that publicly.   A flat out NO is kinda harsh for a soft spoken CBS ....."NO" sounds more like a Pop answer.

On the other hand ,  I can believe he may feel that way ...at some level. 

If Stevens does feel this way .....I have no doubt the Owners , players , and DA want him for the long haul.  These Owners will side with CBS over Boogie should problems came up.

Still ....I wish they would have tried

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 01:17:23 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

1. Belichick is his own GM and we have no idea who he might have refused to work with over the years. It's a big assumption to think he would work with anyone just because he has brought in some guys viewed as "problems" in the past.

2. The tweet says Stevens was responding to the question, Would you like to coach Cousins. In other words, he wouldn't like to but we don't know that he'd have outright refused to coach the guy.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2017, 01:19:59 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

The guy is a head case. You cannot manage a multi-millionaire with behavioral issues. What exactly is Brad supposed to do. The pressures of the NBA are enough that you do not need to deal with a head case. Brad's system requires good characters and not nut cases. I love Boogie's game, but I was mighty concerned about the personality issues. The Celtics do not need to take that kind of risk. I am good with the decision not to go for him.