Author Topic: More fun Marcus Smart stats  (Read 2118 times)

More fun Marcus Smart stats
« on: March 10, 2019, 12:14:03 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Smart is shooting better from outside than Ray Allen for 3 seasons of Ray's career. If he an add another .23 percentage points. that number will go up to 9 seasons

Smart is shooting better from 2pt territory than Ray for 9 of Rays 19 seasons.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Re: More fun Marcus Smart stats
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 12:28:58 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
37.1% from 3 on 4.3 attempts per game. I’ll take it!

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 12:31:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Smart is having one of those types of years statistically that if this was baseball, people would be sure Marcus had taken some sort of performance enhancing drug. Thing about basketball, steroids don't make you a better shooter. You do that all on your own.

Good to see that Smart took some of that high BBIQ that he has and taught himself how to shoot better. He most likely makes an All-Defense team this year because he is starting and playing more minutes versus starters, so I think that gives him more of an opportunity to show how good he is against the best.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 02:19:28 PM »

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Smart is shooting better from outside than Ray Allen for 3 seasons of Ray's career. If he an add another .23 percentage points. that number will go up to 9 seasons

Smart is shooting better from 2pt territory than Ray for 9 of Rays 19 seasons.

Not to split hairs but I was looking and it’s actually 4 seasons, which is even cooler.   :police:

.1% higher and he’ll tie a 5th season

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 02:26:24 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
You can always count on Marcus to make impact plays like THIS

And when he contributes offensively like the OP stated this is just gravy.

Love what he brings to our team.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 03:25:39 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I will be genuinely heartbroken if he's included in a trade for AD. Very few players play and lead like Marcus.

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 03:54:45 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I guess it just goes to show the era Ray [mostly] played in. People often knock Antoine Walker around here, but many of the league's best players back in the day were high volume, low efficiency scorers (see Allen Iverson) - at least guards/wings. Then all of a sudden, analytics became a thing and we are where we're at today with Smart outshooting one of the best shooters of all-time.

Either way, good for Smart for being more judicious with his shot selection. A Marcus Smart who can shoot 3s is infinitely better than one who cannot.

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 04:12:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I guess it just goes to show the era Ray [mostly] played in. People often knock Antoine Walker around here, but many of the league's best players back in the day were high volume, low efficiency scorers (see Allen Iverson) - at least guards/wings. Then all of a sudden, analytics became a thing and we are where we're at today with Smart outshooting one of the best shooters of all-time.

Either way, good for Smart for being more judicious with his shot selection. A Marcus Smart who can shoot 3s is infinitely better than one who cannot.
Ummm...maybe some perspective. We are comparing numbers Smart has put up once, that are about a 20% better than Smart has averaged over his first four seasons against Ray Allen's worst shooting seasons.

What Smart has done is go from awful to ever so slightly above average at hitting threes this year. I think that paints a better picture as to what is actually happening.

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 04:17:25 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
Marcus "Jesus Shuttlesworth" Smart

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 04:25:27 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Ummm...maybe some perspective. We are comparing numbers Smart has put up once, that are about a 20% better than Smart has averaged over his first four seasons against Ray Allen's worst shooting seasons.

What Smart has done is go from awful to ever so slightly above average at hitting threes this year. I think that paints a better picture as to what is actually happening.

Oh, totally - I certainly wasn't buying into the premise that Smart is a better shooter than Ray (or even in the same stratosphoere), I was just trying to show that the era Ray played in potentially shows him in a worse light than what is really the case. If he were in his prime today, I have no doubt he would be knocking down 3s at a blistering rate.

Interesting #s by the OP, though - this is a Marcus Smart everybody can get behind!

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 10:27:14 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

Antoine was much more valuable than people gave him credit for.

Anyway, players always look better than they are with no resistance. With hand-checking, you actually can slow someone down and strength means something.

Really makes me mad these young dudes think these players are the most skillful and best athletes that the nba has ever seen.

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 11:29:48 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Anyway, players always look better than they are with no resistance. With hand-checking, you actually can slow someone down and strength means something.

Really makes me mad these young dudes think these players are the most skillful and best athletes that the nba has ever seen.

Hand checking is an eye of the beholder thing. I always thought it raised the value of unskilled bully-ball players who could pull quicker, more skilled players down to their level by grabbing and holding. Games involving the Knicks in the 1990s were just hideous basketball. 

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 11:33:50 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Antoine Walker was a good player, but that's all. He was an above average scorer (and pretty bad defender) on a mediocre basketball team (49 wins was the Celtics best year). Someone has to put up points on every team. Not all 23 ppg players are the same. He only averaged 19 ppg per 36 minutes in his tenure as a Celtic. Jayson Tatum is averaging that this year. Without even using advanced stats, its pretty obvious he was not very efficient, with 41/33/67 shooting splits.

There were great players in the NBA, and its hard to compare stats with the rule changes and shifts in the NBA. But Antoine Walker was really not one of them.

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 11:56:08 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

Hand checking is an eye of the beholder thing. I always thought it raised the value of unskilled bully-ball players who could pull quicker, more skilled players down to their level by grabbing and holding. Games involving the Knicks in the 1990s were just hideous basketball.

I hated those Riley teams actually, and they clearly went over the line. He felt if they went over the line all the time, they would eventually get the benefit of the doubt and they did.

Take NY and Miami out and it's still an import part of the Pro game though. Or anywhere. It's what defense has always been about as long as I've been  on a court...or on this earth...so to me it's bs and weak.

H

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 12:01:42 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

Antoine Walker was a good player, but that's all. He was an above average scorer (and pretty bad defender) on a mediocre basketball team (49 wins was the Celtics best year). Someone has to put up points on every team. Not all 23 ppg players are the same. He only averaged 19 ppg per 36 minutes in his tenure as a Celtic. Jayson Tatum is averaging that this year. Without even using advanced stats, its pretty obvious he was not very efficient, with 41/33/67 shooting splits.

There were great players in the NBA, and its hard to compare stats with the rule changes and shifts in the NBA. But Antoine Walker was really not one of them.

He was also the de facto point before Kenny Anderson got here, and you can't really say he didn't know how to run a team on the floor, and he still did his rebounding job.

Speaking of Kenny, besides that they only had Battie, Williams and probably mcarty and Delk  with Paul as their best players, and that was the best talent they had in over decade.

The man really wasn't that bad. If you gave some of those teams some actual bench depth, they coulda made some noise.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 12:07:06 PM by Triplenickle »