Author Topic: Is Bass killing our tanking?  (Read 12448 times)

Is Bass killing our tanking?
« on: January 24, 2015, 09:47:41 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
The first rule of a rebuild is: When you are young and bad, be very young and very bad! It is important that when you are bad that you must extract maximum value. Was Marcus Smart really worth last year's horrible season? That is more than open to debate. This year it feels as though it may be important to be at least in the top 5 on draft day. This is where Bass comes in. He is a hardworking, productive professional and he is helping us win too many games. Ainge has apparently decided to hold out for what might probably be a contender's late 1st round draft choice for Bass when the real prize is to maximize the value of our own draft pick. He should have been moved by now if only for a 2nd round pick and an expiring contract. If he is here, Stevens will play him. That is what coaches do.

Re: Is Bass killing our tanking?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 09:48:27 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Well Bass is trying to help the tank by trotting back on defense every time.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 11:00:24 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Yes, we need him gone ASAP!
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 11:11:17 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Bass adding a win here and there diminishes the value of one draft pick but by playing better, Bass increases his own trade value.  So is say the #7 draft pick and maybe a second round pick or a young player with some promise really all that much worse than #5 pick and nothing for Bass?  I don't know the answer to that but I don't think it is as black and white as Bass playing well is bad.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 11:27:12 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Bass is a professional

He is dong what he is being paid

He doesn't control Danny's plans

He is paid to Play basketball best he can and entertain paying customers......prime objective .....making money folks .....sorry that's the real world ...filling seats

That's what is contracted to do

What all players are suppose to do

Anything different is contradiction I. What it means to,be a professional .

Players and coaches don't tank

GM 's and owners may take that approach .

Trying to loose is not a habit of GOOD coaches or players ....their mindset is always win.

Fans  look for illogical schemes

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 11:56:58 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I think Olynyk being injured is also hurting the tank chances.

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 12:21:11 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
A few wins is a good thing.  It's good for morale, good for Steven's sanity, and good experience.  Even if, by some miracle of fate, we luck into the 8 seed in the East, it's not the end of the world.  Playoff experience is incredibly valuable.  You're not going to make noise on your first trip to the playoffs, so put one under your belt and keep improving.

Bass is playing really well.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 12:51:50 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Bass is a professional

He is dong what he is being paid

He doesn't control Danny's plans

He is paid to Play basketball best he can and entertain paying customers......prime objective .....making money folks .....sorry that's the real world ...filling seats

That's what is contracted to do

What all players are suppose to do

Anything different is contradiction I. What it means to,be a professional .

Players and coaches don't tank

GM 's and owners may take that approach .

Trying to loose is not a habit of GOOD coaches or players ....their mindset is always win.

Fans  look for illogical schemes
I started this thread not to criticize Bass in anyway nor Stevens. This is all on Ainge. I want all young players playing and I don't want any useful veterans who will not be part of our future rescuing them. Getting as close to the top of the draft as possible is vital. The Spurs got Tim Duncan by shutting down David Robinson for most of the season over an injury that was not that serious and finished with a miserable record. Yes, wins are important if they deprive us of future talent. This issue should matter to those who are concerned about the future of this franchise. For example, would you rather have Wiggins or Parker or Embiid, even though the last two are injured, rather than Smart. Losing and winding up with second tier talent is the worst of both worlds. Smart will be a useful player but an unlikely franchise player.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 01:02:29 PM »

Offline truth4lyfe

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
I agree completely. We need to win or lose with the young guys and stop wasting time with middling vets

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 01:04:18 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Don't kill yourselves tankers, you'll always have Philly.

We are not tanking. The Knicks and the Sixers are tanking. Only a blind person can't see the difference between them and us. We are just a bad team. We can win a few games, but we are still a bad team with some good prospects. They are getting better.

Give up, wishful thinkers. We are not getting Okafor or Towns. No team will trade a top 3 pick with us (if we get a top 3 pick would you accept to trade down with another team?). We're taking the sixth or seventh pick. And that's ok. Stephen Curry was a seventh pick. Klay Thompson was an eleventh pick. We can draft good players and develop them.

Deal with it. This is a long rebuild.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 01:14:26 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

We are not tanking. The Knicks and the Sixers are tanking. Only a blind person can't see the difference between them and us. We are just a bad team. We can win a few games, but we are still a bad team with some good prospects. They are getting better.

Give up, wishful thinkers. We are not getting Okafor or Towns. No team will trade a top 3 pick with us (if we get a top 3 pick would you accept to trade down with another team?). We're taking the sixth or seventh pick. And that's ok. Stephen Curry was a seventh pick. Klay Thompson was an eleventh pick. We can draft good players and develop them.

You're going to have many chances to cut and paste this as the season wears on and on and on.

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 01:46:37 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

You're going to have many chances to cut and paste this as the season wears on and on and on.

Yeah, unfortunately.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 02:16:45 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Bass is not killing anything. The GM will trade players for future assets. The players on the floor will try to win.

We are giving minutes to young guys. That is not a problem. Having those guys play with the guys on the team that know what they are doing is a good thing.

Perhaps people need to stop thinking in terms of 'tanking' fan-speak.

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 03:47:23 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I want all young players playing and I don't want any useful veterans who will not be part of our future rescuing them.

I think there is a non-zero chance that Bass will be a Celtic next season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 04:51:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Bass is our most consistent big man and often the best big on the floor, he can play at both ends something that can't be said for two of our rotation bigs.