Author Topic: Which actual NBA Teams could win the GOLD MEDAL aside from the Celtics?  (Read 8324 times)

Re: Which actual NBA Teams could win the GOLD MEDAL aside from the Celtics?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 07:09:01 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
2 TPs for the effort of pulling this together
good job.

I second that, 1 TP from me.

Just a nip-ticking: Kleiza, Songaila and Ilgauskas are Lithuanians, not Russians. If I'm not mistaken, Kirilenko is the only Russian currently playing in the NBA. The Bucks would also lose CV (Dominican). Yugoslavia ceased to exist a few years ago, some of those players are Serbs, Slovenians, etc. And Parker is French. 

Answering the OP: if they could kept their international players, almost every NBA team would win the Gold, and a majority of them would beat Team USA. The advantage on team-play and chemistry would be impossible to overcome. Without them, it'd be a different story, especially for teams like San Antonio, Dallas or Phoenix, but I wouldn't write them off. 

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 07:43:25 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
2 TPs for the effort of pulling this together
good job.

I second that, 1 TP from me.

Just a nip-ticking: Kleiza, Songaila and Ilgauskas are Lithuanians, not Russians. If I'm not mistaken, Kirilenko is the only Russian currently playing in the NBA. The Bucks would also lose CV (Dominican). Yugoslavia ceased to exist a few years ago, some of those players are Serbs, Slovenians, etc. And Parker is French. 

Answering the OP: if they could kept their international players, almost every NBA team would win the Gold, and a majority of them would beat Team USA. The advantage on team-play and chemistry would be impossible to overcome. Without them, it'd be a different story, especially for teams like San Antonio, Dallas or Phoenix, but I wouldn't write them off. 

Aah, thanks. I was going off of the ESPN website. Kleiza, Songaila, Ilgauskas, and Kirlenko were all listed as "USSR," as I assume they were born when it was still USSR. I just changed that to Russia, and didn't go the extra step to find which satellite nation they were from. Same with Yugoslavia. Parker is French, but was born in Belgium. I used Belgium, since that was what was listed as his ESPN birthplace.

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 07:52:41 PM »

Offline Hollywood

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
You guys seriously think a majority of NBA teams would beat the olympic team? A majority? And college teams?

With the amount of offense on the floor, guys like Wade and Bosh have been able to give it all up on defense and it has really shown. I mean Lebron pretty much goes one on one against the Celts and gives  them problems with delonte and big z as his wing men. Think about who he has now.

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 08:04:19 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
You guys seriously think a majority of NBA teams would beat the olympic team? A majority? And college teams?

With the amount of offense on the floor, guys like Wade and Bosh have been able to give it all up on defense and it has really shown. I mean Lebron pretty much goes one on one against the Celts and gives  them problems with delonte and big z as his wing men. Think about who he has now.

I believe the question was how NBA teams would do against OTHER Olympic teams, i.e. if the U.S. just sent the Celtics overseas instead of the current U.S. roster. I'd guess that the top 5 or so teams from my ranking above would have a chance to bring home gold against teams like Greece and Argentina.

However, I think chemistry and familiarity is important. the current U.S. national team would certainly beat most, if not all, NBA teams, but a team like Detroit or Boston would give them a run, based on how good their team defense is and their familiarity.