Author Topic: Celtics (25-16) at Magic (17-24) Game #42 1/12/19  (Read 25129 times)

Re: Celtics (25-16) at Magic (17-24) Game #42 1/12/19
« Reply #285 on: January 12, 2019, 09:36:49 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
Red would know just what to do to get this roster fixed - Danny Boy has done a great job building this team, but definite adjustments are needed for long-term title contention. Not sure Stevens & Ainge can see the forest for the trees at this point.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #286 on: January 12, 2019, 09:37:03 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Aaaron Gordon was about a 50% foul shooter when he came into the league....tonight he went 13-13...amazing what hard work will do

« Reply #287 on: January 12, 2019, 09:38:48 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Red would know just what to do to get this roster fixed - Danny Boy has done a great job building this team, but definite adjustments are needed for long-term title contention. Not sure Stevens & Ainge can see the forest for the trees at this point.

There are no moves out there that will fundamentally change anything.  I think shortening the rotation, which will happen naturally in the playoffs, will help.

Rozier has to go for a more natural backup PG.

« Reply #288 on: January 12, 2019, 09:39:11 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
If only we could've played the starting unit for 48 minutes. Bench was a real letdown tonight.
Maybe it is time to maybe put one of Smart or Morris back on the bench? The bench is an issue.

Who do you bench to do it, though? Both Morris and Smart have been instrumental to our better play since moving to the starting lineup.
I've been saying all year I'd start Irving, Smart, Hayward, Tatum, and Horford.  I think that is going to be the best lineup night in and night out and gives Boston the best chance to really compete in the playoffs over the long haul.  The team really needs Hayward's play making in the starting unit.  They just don't have a guy like him i.e. a guy that looks to pass first but that can also handle the ball (Horford is the big man version of Hayward).  I think not only would Hayward play better with those guys, everyone else would as well.  Brown and Morris can lead the second unit, which I think is better for them.
I think the issue there is who is going to initiate the offense on the second unit?

Yeah, while Moranis is probably right that it is our likely best long-term lineup, that would seemingly only exacerbate the bench playmaking problems.
If the best playmaker on the team isn't working on that unit, then it would be my argument that that isn't actually the problem with the bench.  I think adding someone like Morris to the bench is actually what that unit needs.  As I said in response to PAO's post, the bench actually needs someone that can consistently put the ball in the hoop.  A guy that can actually create a good shot for himself.  Aside from Irving and Tatum, I actually think Morris is the best equipped player to do that right now (especially against bench players).  As such, he should be on the bench.
That is actually the move I would make too. Hayward back in the starting 5 and Morris to the bench. Smart's defense too important to the starting unit with Brown playing inconsistent this year.

Rozier needs to go. Just an awful season.

« Reply #289 on: January 12, 2019, 09:40:59 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
If we could find a veteran ball handler to replace Rozier.

jeremy lin

Can't match his $13.7 mill salary.  I'd love to get him though.
Patrick Beverly could be an option. I think money is close.

Interesting idea.  I have no idea if the Clippers would be interested.  I feel Ainge has to do something.  I minor tweak like that and bringing in a vet could help this team a lot.
Yeah, 3 and D and can run an offense. Nothing crazy but I think better fit on the bench than Rozier at the moment.

« Reply #290 on: January 12, 2019, 09:41:26 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Ugh, watching that again Hayward clearly went early there and not what they were drawing up for Kyrie.

Hayward has to be better than that. Tatum was 6 - 15 at that point. Why the F would you go to him there that early??

Just dumb decisions and poor BBIQ killing us all year long it seems like.
Come on Potter! You're such a smart guy and then type something like this. What do you think players do? They see they are going to get the ball so they run to the scorekeeper's table, check the shooting stats of all the rest of his team mates and then decides "well player A and player B aren't shooting well tonight so I am just going to refuse to pass to them".

Wait wait wait - are you arguing that other players don't have a sense of what players are on and what players are off on a given night, even a seasoned vet All-Star with a high BBIQ like Hayward?? Really? Was he not watching the game, too?

If Hayward didn't have an awareness that Tatum was not on tonight, especially with his jumpshot, then shame on him. That's part of the job, especially a leader on the team. They're professional basketball players, for goodness' sake.

« Reply #291 on: January 12, 2019, 09:44:06 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
It was the TEAM'S fault for losing the 2nd half by 12 points -
We should not have to rely on a last possession shot to beat the likes of Orlando.

post of the night, TP.

« Reply #292 on: January 12, 2019, 09:45:02 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
If we could find a veteran ball handler to replace Rozier.

jeremy lin

Can't match his $13.7 mill salary.  I'd love to get him though.
Patrick Beverly could be an option. I think money is close.

Interesting idea.  I have no idea if the Clippers would be interested.  I feel Ainge has to do something.  I minor tweak like that and bringing in a vet could help this team a lot.
Yeah, 3 and D and can run an offense. Nothing crazy but I think better fit on the bench than Rozier at the moment.

Rozier and Bird (who they would subsequently waive) for Beverly works in the trade machine, though not sure what else would need to be added to make things attractive for both parties. I like that idea if we're really going for it this year. He'd add another bulldog like Smart to the bench, too, which seems pretty soft at the moment.

« Reply #293 on: January 12, 2019, 09:45:11 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
If only we could've played the starting unit for 48 minutes. Bench was a real letdown tonight.
Maybe it is time to maybe put one of Smart or Morris back on the bench? The bench is an issue.

Who do you bench to do it, though? Both Morris and Smart have been instrumental to our better play since moving to the starting lineup.
I've been saying all year I'd start Irving, Smart, Hayward, Tatum, and Horford.  I think that is going to be the best lineup night in and night out and gives Boston the best chance to really compete in the playoffs over the long haul.  The team really needs Hayward's play making in the starting unit.  They just don't have a guy like him i.e. a guy that looks to pass first but that can also handle the ball (Horford is the big man version of Hayward).  I think not only would Hayward play better with those guys, everyone else would as well.  Brown and Morris can lead the second unit, which I think is better for them.
I think the issue there is who is going to initiate the offense on the second unit?

Yeah, while Moranis is probably right that it is our likely best long-term lineup, that would seemingly only exacerbate the bench playmaking problems.
If the best playmaker on the team isn't working on that unit, then it would be my argument that that isn't actually the problem with the bench.  I think adding someone like Morris to the bench is actually what that unit needs.  As I said in response to PAO's post, the bench actually needs someone that can consistently put the ball in the hoop.  A guy that can actually create a good shot for himself.  Aside from Irving and Tatum, I actually think Morris is the best equipped player to do that right now (especially against bench players).  As such, he should be on the bench.

The problem is that Hawyard and Rozier are just very incomplete playmakers right now. Hayward can dish the ball but has in general been almost no threat to score. I've said it many times, he looks like he is moving through mud. Since he s always looking to pass the opposing team plays the pass and gunks up our offense. Rozier has the opposite problem, he takes insane heat check jumpers, never gets to the rim, and in general just doesn't even try running the offense. My solution is some combination of the following

A) Take the ball out of Roziers hands as much as possible, make him a spot up shooter.
B) Run more plays for Brown, whether that's letting him run an occasional pick and roll or giving him a dribble hand off coming out of the corner. He CAN NOT be worse than the current bench offense. He went like 5 minutes brely touching the ball in the 2nd half. 
C) Cut down on Haywards minutes until he is closer to all the way back.
D) Move one of Morris or Smart back to the bench.
E) Trade for a reliable veteran PG if Terry keeps struggling. Note this is my last resort, I don't like giving up on guys and still think(hope) he will snap out of it.

« Reply #294 on: January 12, 2019, 09:47:15 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
Ugh, watching that again Hayward clearly went early there and not what they were drawing up for Kyrie.

Hayward has to be better than that. Tatum was 6 - 15 at that point. Why the F would you go to him there that early??

Just dumb decisions and poor BBIQ killing us all year long it seems like.
Come on Potter! You're such a smart guy and then type something like this. What do you think players do? They see they are going to get the ball so they run to the scorekeeper's table, check the shooting stats of all the rest of his team mates and then decides "well player A and player B aren't shooting well tonight so I am just going to refuse to pass to them".

Wait wait wait - are you arguing that other players don't have a sense of what players are on and what players are off on a given night, even a seasoned vet All-Star with a high BBIQ like Hayward?? Really? Was he not watching the game, too?

If Hayward didn't have an awareness that Tatum was not on tonight, especially with his jumpshot, then shame on him. That's part of the job, especially a leader on the team. They're professional basketball players, for goodness' sake.

I don't blame Hayward because he passed it to someone who was 6/15 for the night. I do blame him because whatever  the play was, that wasn't it. You could see Kyrie yelling at Hayward after the play, it was probably supposed to go to Al than a handoff to Kyrie.

« Reply #295 on: January 12, 2019, 09:47:59 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
This years team is completely 1000% percent unlikable....hate to say it but I enjoyed the isaiah thomas celtics more.

« Reply #296 on: January 12, 2019, 09:48:01 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I am not sure that just trading Rozier is going to solve all our problems.  It MIGHT help, but it might help just as much to bench him for a while and play wannamaker as as pass first point guard with the second unit.

I would really like to know what Brad called for that last play.  As someone else said, Kyrie was arguing with Brad during the timeout, and then Kyrie was yelling at Gordon after he passed to Tatum for the last shot.  Is there a chance Brad called that play to go to Tatum and Gordon did exactly as he was supposed to and Kyrie is just p---ed?

« Reply #297 on: January 12, 2019, 09:50:00 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
I am not sure that just trading Rozier is going to solve all our problems.  It MIGHT help, but it might help just as much to bench him for a while and play wannamaker as as pass first point guard with the second unit.

I would really like to know what Brad called for that last play.  As someone else said, Kyrie was arguing with Brad during the timeout, and then Kyrie was yelling at Gordon after he passed to Tatum for the last shot.  Is there a chance Brad called that play to go to Tatum and Gordon did exactly as he was supposed to and Kyrie is just p---ed?

No. because I refuse to believe Brad is stupid enough to go with Tatum when you have Kyrie on your roster.

« Reply #298 on: January 12, 2019, 09:51:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
99% positive that was not the play and Tatum went full hero ball right there.

Well, he had to when Hayward passed it to him with only 2 seconds left on the clock. Hayward didn't need to pass it to him in that instance, especially that early.

Wouldn't be surprised if Kyrie rips the team tonight. Him, Smart, Morris, and for the most part Al are the only consistent ones on the team right now. Hayward and the young guys especially have all been so inconsistent and a major part of our shortcomings, which is only exacerbated by Brad mismanaging the rotations.
Actually over the last month, Brown has been very consistent. Setting aside that Miami game where he barely touched the ball or played, Jaylen's putting up 13.7/2/4.2 on 51/36/71 in just 24.7 MPG. 9 of his last 16 games he has scored 18 or more points.

I think Brown has been pretty consistent.

« Reply #299 on: January 12, 2019, 09:54:01 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

No. because I refuse to believe Brad is stupid enough to go with Tatum when you have Kyrie on your roster.

Agreed. Watching it again, Kyrie's shoulders shrug as soon as Hayward threw it, so it looks like he was expecting something else.

As for the first part of Blink's message, I'm not sure that I agree. I think one of the youngsters has to go, as there's just not ball to go around for three solid to good youngsters looking to make a name for themselves, and Rozier is the prime target to go given his contract situation, the low likelihood that we can afford him this summer anyways, and the fact that we have Kyrie, who has verbally committed to resign here.