Author Topic: Is it weird Cavs have just banished JR Smith?  (Read 1322 times)

Is it weird Cavs have just banished JR Smith?
« on: February 21, 2019, 06:08:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I get that the Lakers kind of did this with Luol Deng, who is now at least contributing occasionally as a bench player, but I am a bit surprised the Cavs have not now waived or bought our JR. Smith so that he could sign somewhere for the stretch run. I am very far from a JR Smith player and think he tops out as a 10-15 minute offensive sparkplug on a playoff team, but I just don't really get the situation. Does anyone have any more info or insight? Does it seem weird to not grant him some freedom?

Re: Is it weird Cavs have just banished JR Smith?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 06:10:07 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I get that the Lakers kind of did this with Luol Deng, who is now at least contributing occasionally as a bench player, but I am a bit surprised the Cavs have not now waived or bought our JR. Smith so that he could sign somewhere for the stretch run. I am very far from a JR Smith player and think he tops out as a 10-15 minute offensive sparkplug on a playoff team, but I just don't really get the situation. Does anyone have any more info or insight? Does it seem weird to not grant him some freedom?

They'll waive him this offseason - his contract for next year has a partial guarantee for about $3m.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 06:29:41 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
He is China material , knuckle head who can score.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 06:30:07 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I think This is a retaliation from Gilbert to Klutch (and also Lebron for leaving a cap strapped team)... basically JR has to pay for his agents negotiation tactics 3 years ago

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 06:33:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I think This is a retaliation from Gilbert to Klutch (and also Lebron for leaving a cap strapped team)... basically JR has to pay for his agents negotiation tactics 3 years ago

If this is true that is pretty interesting... it seems like Klutch sports doesn't have the best reputation at the moment.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 06:34:02 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Or more realistically, they can't come to terms on a buyout amount and the Cavs don't want to eat the money on his contract while he gets to play for another team.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 06:39:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

What a waste of money

JR Smith has what 3 years left? Free money

No team is going to sign him

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 06:42:05 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

Or more realistically, they can't come to terms on a buyout amount and the Cavs don't want to eat the money on his contract while he gets to play for another team.
Again for them it doesn’t matter if they are going to pay him his $$ they can just release him.... by making him stay away from the team they are punishing him for his excessive salary which made Lebron a buck or two

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 06:46:43 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I expect the Cavs are holding onto Smith in order to trade him in the offseason.  His contract falls under the old CBA rules.  So even though it is only partially guaranteed for 3M for next season, it counts for full value 15.6M from a trade perspective. 

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 06:46:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Where's the $100,000 fine per game for not playing him even though he is healthy? 😋

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 06:47:39 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Again for them it doesn’t matter if they are going to pay him his $$ they can just release him.... by making him stay away from the team they are punishing him for his excessive salary which made Lebron a buck or two

If they release him without agreeing to a lower amount, they have to pay him his full salary. Keeping him away from the team is a tactic to get him to take a lower amount - assuming he wants to play more than he wants to collect a check. Just hasn't worked.

Cleveland got their first championship in 52 years. I really don't think they're that bitter Lebron left this time around. From all accounts (their refusal to flip the Brooklyn pick for more help at the deadline) they knew it was coming. JR isn't the only Klutch player remaining on the roster.

I expect the Cavs are holding onto Smith in order to trade him in the offseason.  His contract falls under the old CBA rules.  So even though it is only partially guaranteed for 3M for next season, it counts for full value 15.6M from a trade perspective.

Makes a ton of sense. I know a lot of people want the NBA to be a full blown soap opera complete with vendettas and revenge scenarios, but it's still fundamentally a business.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 06:51:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There’s been lots of this lately. We did it with Keith Bogans, the Kings did it with Zach Randolph, the Rockets did it while trying to trade Carmelo, as did the Grizzlies with Parsons.  Plus, not playing stars with fake injuries is a tried and true method of tanking (Smith doesn’t apply here).

Davis is the exception, not the rule.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 06:54:16 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

If they release him without agreeing to a lower amount, they have to pay him his full salary. Keeping him away from the team is a tactic to get him to take a lower amount - assuming he wants to play more than he wants to collect a check. Just hasn't worked.

Cleveland got their first championship in 52 years. I really don't think they're that bitter Lebron left this time around. From all accounts (their refusal to flip the Brooklyn pick for more help at the deadline) they knew it was coming. JR isn't the only Klutch player remaining on the roster.

Makes a ton of sense. I know a lot of people want the NBA to be a full blown soap opera complete with vendettas and revenge scenarios, but it's still fundamentally a business.
I doubt they would trade him for a player making 12-15m a year. They are getting very close to the luxury tax next season before signing their draft picks ...

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 06:56:16 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

Things definitely go on a personal level. Like Lebron semi injured goes out of his way to play his best games against Celtics ... at this point I think it’s personal for him .