Author Topic: Should Jaden Springer be playing more?  (Read 4382 times)

Re: Should Jaden Springer be playing more?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2024, 07:43:36 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Queta also brings a Marcus Smart/Robert Williams dimension to the Celtics style of play.

Can you explain what you mean here?

Queta is a fun energy guy and a good rebounder, but he's not a particularly good defender.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2024, 01:24:18 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I imagine most of us would agree that Jaden Springer was a total defensive mennace in the only time he got significant playing time in a game last week.

I'm wondering if Joe realized it too? Because he hasn't played him since, except in late-game, garbage-time minutes.

I feel he could help this team come playoff time by guarding one of the better shooters on the opposing team.
Now would be the time to experiment and find out how well he fits in with the starters or second team.

On a similar note Queta played well too. Why isn't he getting more time? Can he be signed to a regular spot and play in the playoffs?

Remember that every time you introduce a new player into a lineup or rotation, there's an acclimation process where they have to get used to the tendencies of the players around them so they can fit in. It's not as easy as just putting someone in on NBA2k. Just that the more permutations you introduce, the more complexity you introduce in terms of chemistry. You're not going to learn that in a couple of weeks. I think Joe's rotation for playing meaningful, competitive minutes the playoffs is all set - the Jays, KP, Jrue, Derrick, Al, PP, Sam, Luke and X, with possibly Q if they decide to convert him to a standard contract which I think they will. That's a 10-man rotation there without Q. In fact some of those guys might not even play as much as we would expect them to play as most teams tend to shorten their lineups for the playoffs.

Jaden and Q, along with some of the other guys end of bench, are there to shore up the lineup in case of injuries or absences in the regular season, and for the future. As for Q falling off, he did get injured, and he is on a two-way so he has limited time that he can turn out for the senior team. And X pretty much does what Queta does for the most part, with the addition of being able to space out to the perimeter.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2024, 01:42:29 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I think if White or Jrue goes/ stays down Springer coujd end up with a big role. The more seasoned/ best players can probably carry him along if he’s not making mistakes.

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2024, 01:46:49 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I think if White or Jrue goes/ stays down Springer coujd end up with a big role. The more seasoned/ best players can probably carry him along if he’s not making mistakes.

I don’t think that would happen.  I think it’s much more likely we’d go with a lot more double big lineups, and have the five healthy rotation wings and guards playing almost exclusively the 1-3 positions.

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2024, 01:48:56 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I really hope Springer sticks around and develops, but I don't think he will see the court much this year (although he will probably get some minutes last few weeks of season when we are resting players). If he works out an added layer of hilarity is how much it will frustrate 76ers fans. A lot of them were quite upset they traded him to us.

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2024, 01:52:30 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
I really hope Springer sticks around and develops, but I don't think he will see the court much this year (although he will probably get some minutes last few weeks of season when we are resting players). If he works out an added layer of hilarity is how much it will frustrate 76ers fans. A lot of them were quite upset they traded him to us.

Brad clearly has plans for him, and even at the deadline he talked about Springer as someone for the future.  Given how well a lot of his plans have worked, I’m looking forward to see a weaponized Springer next year.

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2024, 02:39:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

It would be tough.  We'd essentially be playing 4-on-5, not only losing shooting but also passing and ball-handling.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2024, 02:57:33 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

I don’t think that would happen.  I think it’s much more likely we’d go with a lot more double big lineups, and have the five healthy rotation wings and guards playing almost exclusively the 1-3 positions.

This is how I see it also.  You would see more of Kornet. Tillman, and Brissett, if for example Holiday went down.  Holiday has been down for several games and there has been no need to play Springer.  Why would that change?

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2024, 02:57:43 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
Springer is bad at every offensive skill on the basketball court right now.  Until he finds something to do on offense, he won't be part of any regular rotation.  Certainly not when DW, Jrue, and Pritchard are all available.  He'll probably get more burn as we rest (even more) guys in the coming weeks, though. 

Hot take:  Tillman isn't a ton better.  Great defender, woeful offensively, hard to play in important minutes IMO because we end up having to play 4-on-5.  The difference here is that Kornet just can't handle some matchups physically, so Tillman has a path to some situational usage whereas Springer is completely roadblocked.  But I wish we'd stop deluding ourselves that he's a viable three-point shooter at this point in his career.  He's not, and good teams don't respect him out there.  Either use him in the pick-and-roll or put him on the baseline - something that defenses can't completely ignore with impunity. 

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2024, 03:04:39 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Springer is bad at every offensive skill on the basketball court right now.  Until he finds something to do on offense, he won't be part of any regular rotation.  Certainly not when DW, Jrue, and Pritchard are all available.  He'll probably get more burn as we rest (even more) guys in the coming weeks, though. 

Hot take:  Tillman isn't a ton better.  Great defender, woeful offensively, hard to play in important minutes IMO because we end up having to play 4-on-5.  The difference here is that Kornet just can't handle some matchups physically, so Tillman has a path to some situational usage whereas Springer is completely roadblocked.  But I wish we'd stop deluding ourselves that he's a viable three-point shooter at this point in his career.  He's not, and good teams don't respect him out there.  Either use him in the pick-and-roll or put him on the baseline - something that defenses can't completely ignore with impunity.

Springer is a really good cutter and finishes well at the rim in such situations.  He can use that skill a little more than some because teams play off him since he can’t shoot, and then he can sometimes be available on the cuts.  But that’s about it at this point.

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2024, 03:24:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Tillman is a bit different, just by the nature of the position.  It's simply easier to get by with a big man with zero offensive skills as opposed to a guard with the same skillset. 

I agree, though, that it's puzzling to see Tillman out on the perimeter as a floor spacer.  Any shot he takes from there is a bad shot, even when wide open.

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2024, 03:47:16 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1438
Whose minutes would Springer take. JB, White, Holiday, Hauser, or Pritchard?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2024, 03:51:37 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Whose minutes would Springer take. JB, White, Holiday, Hauser, or Pritchard?

Nobody's. I get how it's fun having a new toy though  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2024, 09:42:29 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
Last night against Atlanta we got another glimpse of what Jaden Springer can do if he's given more minutes.

He made Atlanta work harder for their shots. Even though he committed a couple fouls (one very questionable), he still managed to disrupt the flow of their offense.

If the Celtic coaches allowed him to cheat off his man from time to time I think he could have had a couple blocks or a steal.
I understand the value of protecting the 3 point line when someone is driving the lane. However, I wish their defensive scheme would allow more flexibility and occasionally allow for a block or a steal from behind. White does this quite well.

I'm wondering, isn't this how a zone defense is supposed to work - one player cheats, attacking the ball handler and a 3rd defender anticipates where the outlet pass might go and cuts off the passing lane Yet, the Celtics play straight up zone almost exclusively - especially on the perimeter. I'm not saying to do it all the time because there's a lot a terrific 3-point shooters in the NBA who would burn you if you did it consistently.

Jaden's biggest impact may come from playing along side Holiday or White where he wouldn't have to shoulder much of the offense.

Speaking of offense. Mazzulla may be making the same mistake the Celtics made with playing Nesmith. They expected Aaron to stay in the corner and make threes. At the time, that wasn't his forte. They should have had him slashing to the basket more. That's what he's doing in Indiana and it worked out well for them.

As it stands, Jaden often hangs out in the corner. I would have him moving around more allowing him free range to grab rebounds or receive passes from various locations on the court. This might allow him to drive to the hoop more often or shoot closer to the hoop.   

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2024, 01:22:28 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Springer was -3 in 8 minutes. He is just not good enough right now to take minutes from anyone.  He was useful vs ATL with White and Holiday out.