Author Topic: Celtics Regular Season News  (Read 96412 times)

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2023, 11:20:46 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Kristaps Porzingis today at practice: “It might look like it’s already really good because we’re just beating these teams easy, but it’s gonna get much, much better.”

Yowza!!  Things could get really ugly for the competition.   

I hope they don't get too ugly. I always go back to the 2007 Patriots, who thrashed a lot of teams on their way to a perfect regular season ... and then lost the Super Bowl. I'd rather get some losses (and resulting growth) out of the way before the playoffs roll around.

Yup. The Miami Heat are like the New York Giants of football. Their kryptonite. I'll be content with 60-70 win column. Take some L's here and there to get them together. I just want them to sweep the Lakers this season.

I get this logic to some extent, but the fact that the NBA isn’t single-game elimination in the playoffs makes this situation very different. The 2007 Pats don’t lose to the Giants if it’s a best of 7 series.

You're probably right, but I think the point still holds true: I don't want the Celtics to be so successful in the regular season that it goes to their heads and they subsequently lose focus in the playoffs.

I think the bigger concern might be that they don't really get enough close-game reps because they're blowing everybody out. Remember when they went on that huge second-half run in 2022? They were destroying teams but it was hiding the fact that they weren't actually a good halfcourt offensive team and needed create TOs (and make threes) to make up the difference. When they ran into really disciplined teams that didn't give them easy points or their 3 ball was cold, they didn't know what to do.

I think they're an older and more offensively diverse team now so it shouldn't be an issue, but I would still like to see more close game possessions to inspire confidence going into the playoffs. What is their decision-making like when they are in a must-score situation and the 3 isn't falling? Can Tatum post-up consistently? Will Jaylen reduce his wild drives? Will Brown or Tatum really give up the ball if that's what is called for? How will Porzingis react when he's getting pushed around 24/7 by physical postseason play?

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2023, 01:07:08 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Kristaps Porzingis today at practice: “It might look like it’s already really good because we’re just beating these teams easy, but it’s gonna get much, much better.”

I hope they don't get too ugly. I always go back to the 2007 Patriots, who thrashed a lot of teams on their way to a perfect regular season ... and then lost the Super Bowl. I'd rather get some losses (and resulting growth) out of the way before the playoffs roll around.

Yup. The Miami Heat are like the New York Giants of football. Their kryptonite. I'll be content with 60-70 win column. Take some L's here and there to get them together. I just want them to sweep the Lakers this season.

I get this logic to some extent, but the fact that the NBA isn’t single-game elimination in the playoffs makes this situation very different. The 2007 Pats don’t lose to the Giants if it’s a best of 7 series.

You're probably right, but I think the point still holds true: I don't want the Celtics to be so successful in the regular season that it goes to their heads and they subsequently lose focus in the playoffs.

I think the bigger concern might be that they don't really get enough close-game reps because they're blowing everybody out. Remember when they went on that huge second-half run in 2022? They were destroying teams but it was hiding the fact that they weren't actually a good halfcourt offensive team and needed create TOs (and make threes) to make up the difference. When they ran into really disciplined teams that didn't give them easy points or their 3 ball was cold, they didn't know what to do.

I think they're an older and more offensively diverse team now so it shouldn't be an issue, but I would still like to see more close game possessions to inspire confidence going into the playoffs. What is their decision-making like when they are in a must-score situation and the 3 isn't falling? Can Tatum post-up consistently? Will Jaylen reduce his wild drives? Will Brown or Tatum really give up the ball if that's what is called for? How will Porzingis react when he's getting pushed around 24/7 by physical postseason play?

All good points. Late-game execution in close games was a big weakness last year that they need to overcome. I think having Holiday's steady veteran hand could go a long way in that regard.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2023, 01:59:58 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Not to get off track, but I don't buy that. The Patriots were 15-0 going into the last game of the regular season against the Giants. Meanwhile the Giants didn't really have anything to play for, yet only lost 38-35. A few weeks later, the Giants beat them in the Super Bowl. All I'm saying is, the Giants simply may have been a bad match-up and a 7 game series may not have made a difference.

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2023, 05:30:19 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

There will be plenty of that to come in a long season I would imagine...we will struggle to remember this time when we were blowing teams (well the last two teams anyway) out when we lose some close ones and people are calling for Mazz to be fired  :police:

We beat the Knicks by 4, Miami by 7...there will be plenty of tests to come and I agree they will be needed. And we're only one injury away from people thinking us world beaters to beaten up. The first losing streak and the usual doubts and insecurities from the fanbase (well earned to be sure, based on past history) will come out. The media love them now but when that happens it will get stuck in to the team as well. That's when we will see what this team is made of.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2023, 07:38:47 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

There will be plenty of that to come in a long season I would imagine...we will struggle to remember this time when we were blowing teams (well the last two teams anyway) out when we lose some close ones and people are calling for Mazz to be fired  :police:

We beat the Knicks by 4, Miami by 7...there will be plenty of tests to come and I agree they will be needed. And we're only one injury away from people thinking us world beaters to beaten up. The first losing streak and the usual doubts and insecurities from the fanbase (well earned to be sure, based on past history) will come out. The media love them now but when that happens it will get stuck in to the team as well. That's when we will see what this team is made of.
Ye it's a trueism but wins are the best preventative medicine you can get. I'm sure there's going to be some bad games, because that's the nature of a long season. We started out last year looking unsustainably-good as well, which we all remember.

Having a proper scoring big has certainly been a gamechanger for now, though. We've not really had that in the Jays-era.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2023, 08:32:03 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

I kind of get what you are suggesting but that 2021-22 team that was blowing people out in the second half of the season made it to the finals.  They did just fine in close playoff games even after Rob Williams was hurt.  It turned out that they didn't have the experience to hold up to the pressure of the finals, and GSW did, but I am not sure a close game on a Tuesday in February was going to help with that.

This time around, other than Porzingis, the core of our team is late playoff tested and in many cases, finals tested.  I think what we are seeing is that experience manifesting itself in the realization that you need to keep up that intensity every game, every quarter.  And as to Porzingis, I think he is going to be fine in the playoffs or big games in general.  He doesn't have to be "the guy".  I feel he appreciates this opportunity and "gets it".

I think it is more important to see the team continue to play with intensity vs. having them play in close games.  If playing at their best means blowing out teams, that is still better than playing sloppy and having to pull out close game.  And there will be close games where the other team just shoots lights out or whatever.

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2023, 08:40:56 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Ye it's a trueism but wins are the best preventative medicine you can get. I'm sure there's going to be some bad games, because that's the nature of a long season. We started out last year looking unsustainably-good as well, which we all remember.

Having a proper scoring big has certainly been a gamechanger for now, though. We've not really had that in the Jays-era.

The encouraging part to me is that although we've started unsustainably hot, we that was mostly from the blowouts. We managed to beat two playoff teams while shooting significantly worse from 3 than our opponents (including shooting around 30% in the Knicks game), so I'm less worried about how we'll do when the shooting inevitably cools off
I'm bitter.

« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2023, 09:13:06 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
The Knicks and Heat shot a good percentage from 3 those games. I am encouraged they still won despite that.

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2023, 01:08:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
The Knicks and Heat shot a good percentage from 3 those games. I am encouraged they still won despite that.

Personally I think the Knicks and Heat wins last week would be losses last season.

I love Smart. Miss him. Wish him all the best. But tbh I think trading him away has kinda opened things up for the Jays, and also it sort of "reorganizes" the whole hierarchy within the team. It was getting a little redundant but also, Smart clearly acted like he was the 3rd best guy on the team when he clearly wasn't. Porzingis when healthy warrants that attention for sure, not Smart. And Holiday is quietly a good leader and good clubhouse guy so even though we lost Smart, we didn't lose as much. This also allows the Jays and others to hopefully also grow into better leaders and tougher guys going forward now that Smart + GWill are gone.

This team is talented for sure, but hopefully they also develop better habits and so far so good. Pretty encouraging stuff, even from HC Mazzula with the timeouts, adjustments, and it sounds like he's a lot more comfortable + has garnered buy-in from his team which was questionable last year.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2023, 02:10:44 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

Personally I think the Knicks and Heat wins last week would be losses last season.

I love Smart. Miss him. Wish him all the best. But tbh I think trading him away has kinda opened things up for the Jays, and also it sort of "reorganizes" the whole hierarchy within the team. It was getting a little redundant but also, Smart clearly acted like he was the 3rd best guy on the team when he clearly wasn't. Porzingis when healthy warrants that attention for sure, not Smart. And Holiday is quietly a good leader and good clubhouse guy so even though we lost Smart, we didn't lose as much. This also allows the Jays and others to hopefully also grow into better leaders and tougher guys going forward now that Smart + GWill are gone.

This team is talented for sure, but hopefully they also develop better habits and so far so good. Pretty encouraging stuff, even from HC Mazzula with the timeouts, adjustments, and it sounds like he's a lot more comfortable + has garnered buy-in from his team which was questionable last year.

Agree with all the above. Starters didn’t lose control of the lead in either blowout and they regrouped successfully to close out games 1 and 2. The never let the foot off the gas v. Indiana; never looked like they weren’t playing seriously which happened a lot last year. Love that a different starter has been the player of the game in each of the first 4.  And Jrue is steady as a rock - like DW - plays his role, always has his head in the game, leading defensively on every possession - Jrue and DW are perfect veteran starters for this team. And I love fresh legs Al coming off the bench.  Keep him rested and healthy. 

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2023, 03:02:48 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

I kind of get what you are suggesting but that 2021-22 team that was blowing people out in the second half of the season made it to the finals.  They did just fine in close playoff games even after Rob Williams was hurt.  It turned out that they didn't have the experience to hold up to the pressure of the finals, and GSW did, but I am not sure a close game on a Tuesday in February was going to help with that.

This time around, other than Porzingis, the core of our team is late playoff tested and in many cases, finals tested.  I think what we are seeing is that experience manifesting itself in the realization that you need to keep up that intensity every game, every quarter.  And as to Porzingis, I think he is going to be fine in the playoffs or big games in general.  He doesn't have to be "the guy".  I feel he appreciates this opportunity and "gets it".

I think it is more important to see the team continue to play with intensity vs. having them play in close games.  If playing at their best means blowing out teams, that is still better than playing sloppy and having to pull out close game.  And there will be close games where the other team just shoots lights out or whatever.

Sure, I believe that they're a more mature squad now. I was just responding to the OP's comment that so many blowouts might make them overconfident going into the playoffs. I was saying the disadvantage of so many blowouts was less late-game reps for the team (and out opportunity to see them in those situations). I don't think those types of reps are something you can recreate in practice, it has to be live against a real team with real stakes.

« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2023, 03:15:42 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Agree with all the above. Starters didn’t lose control of the lead in either blowout and they regrouped successfully to close out games 1 and 2. The never let the foot off the gas v. Indiana; never looked like they weren’t playing seriously which happened a lot last year. Love that a different starter has been the player of the game in each of the first 4.  And Jrue is steady as a rock - like DW - plays his role, always has his head in the game, leading defensively on every possession - Jrue and DW are perfect veteran starters for this team. And I love fresh legs Al coming off the bench.  Keep him rested and healthy.

They did a quick sideline interview with Jrue going into halftime of one of the blowouts and he was really pushing that they needed to keep their foot down and not get complacent. We've heard similar things in the past, but Jrue just seemed like he really believed, not that it was just the right thing to say. Obviously we only have a very small sample size thus far, but it looks like he got the team really thinking that way too. If this team had that same attitude in last year or the year before, there's no way we have so many 7 game series.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2023, 07:55:38 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

The encouraging part to me is that although we've started unsustainably hot, we that was mostly from the blowouts. We managed to beat two playoff teams while shooting significantly worse from 3 than our opponents (including shooting around 30% in the Knicks game), so I'm less worried about how we'll do when the shooting inevitably cools off
What makes the start unsustainably hot?  The offense is better because the players are better.  It is likely this team will be playing even better 20 games into the season.  This isn't a young team or a team playing over its heads.  Given the strong defense, they can still win on occasional off nights shooting.  Last season the team won 57 games so I'd say this season should be at least 62 wins. 

The 2015/16 Warriors had a 50-point blowout in their 4th game. They won their 1st 24 games before going on to 73 wins. 

« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2023, 08:00:51 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

What makes the start unsustainably hot?  The offense is better because the players are better.  It is likely this team will be playing even better 20 games into the season.  This isn't a young team or a team playing over its heads.  Given the strong defense, they can still win on occasional off nights shooting.  Last season the team won 57 games so I'd say this season should be at least 62 wins. 

The 2015/16 Warriors had a 50-point blowout in their 4th game. They won their 1st 24 games before going on to 73 wins.

It’s unsustainably hot because to keep up the pace we would score about 5% more points per 100 possessions than any team in history, which would be beyond shocking.  I could even believe this team will set a record, but it’s unlikely to be by that large of a margin.

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2023, 08:04:27 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807
This discussion reminded me of last season and our great start.  21-5 with 3 of the losses in overtime.  Crazy stuff with 2 losses to Cleveland and 2 losses to Chicago.  I'm hoping for another strong start this season but then not take the foot off the gas pedal and keep it rolling.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain