Poll

If Kyrie leaves AND there is an AD trade, would you be in favor of re-signing Rozier?

Yes
29 (50.9%)
No
28 (49.1%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: All Aboard the Rozier Train...I guess  (Read 9589 times)

Re: All Aboard the Rozier Train...I guess
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 03:08:51 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
I'll just wait for the next train. 

Pass.
Agreed.

Especially given he's likely to demand a ludicrous contract given the extension he rejected.
Remember, he's a restricted FA.  So, the C's don't have to decide what to offer him, the market will.  If it's too high, you pass, if it's reasonable, you match.  Even if you match, you can always trade him down the line.

Ainge navigated these waters well with Marcus Smart last year, and I suspect the market for Rozier might be equally dry.  We'll see.

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 03:10:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Right but even if he lands at 10-12 million per year that's way to much for a below average backup with upside who has shown if he isn't given starter touches he will turn toxic.

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 03:17:33 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Rozier's future in Boston likely hinges on whether Ainge swings a trade for an all-star this summer (not necessarily Davis) using a package built around Smart and one of the young wings. If Smart and Irving are both gone I wouldn't be shocked to see Rozier as a starter next year. Otherwise he'll probably be moving on.

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 03:25:24 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I absolutely loathe Terry Rozier. He is overrated in his own mind, selfish, me first offense guy....just think he is a poison pill.

But I would not be surprised if Danny resigns him.

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 03:25:53 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
Right but even if he lands at 10-12 million per year that's way to much for a below average backup with upside who has shown if he isn't given starter touches he will turn toxic.
Yes, and I suspect the rest of the league knows this too, so that might drive his price down, which, in turn, will humble him.  We'll see though.

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 03:39:53 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I like Rozier. He’s tough, relentless and he did an outstanding job, for the vast majority of his starts last year and this year. Jaylen Brown said he’s the funniest guy on the team, everybody likes him. He plays with arrogance, confidence and he doesn’t back down from anyone. I’d rather live with Rozier’s warts than an Irving with his crap defense, body language and apparently abrasive and aloof personality. We had a far better record with Rozier starting than Irving, for all of Irving’s talent...

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 03:43:19 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
The big question is how would Rozier handle being the guy with no Kyrie there? Is he capable of being a team first guy?

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2019, 03:45:30 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm as ready as anyone to cut bait on Terry but one big reason we didn't trade him is to have him as a Plan B if Kyrie leaves. If we're retooling a cost-controlled PG will probably look pretty good to the front office, and I don't know who's lining up to overpay him enough for us not to match. It's a distinct possibility he's our starter next year.

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2019, 03:54:34 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The big question is how would Rozier handle being the guy with no Kyrie there? Is he capable of being a team first guy?

There are a lot of great - and varied - viewpoints so far in this thread. TPs to everybody so far!

As for the above, I think that has to be the assumption. It may seem crazy on the surface, but if Rozier is able to play freely and openly without the worry of being benched, it's possible he can buy in. He seems to have shown this in the past when he has started. Contract will also not be an issue - this seemed to help Smart quite a bit.

With no Kyrie or Smart (and maybe Brown!), we won't exactly have a lot of choices. If Kyrie is gone, I am willing to give everybody who was on the team this past year a re-do. Even though I want Kyrie back, I admit that his aura may have rubbed people the wrong way - especially the young guys.

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2019, 03:57:06 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Personally, I do think he’ll be a team first guy. I heard no complaints about him from anyone last year. I have a feeling that dealing with Irving was more difficult for many of our players than we know. I also very much agree that The reason we didn’t trade Rozier at the deadline is what fairwetherfan said. If we re-tool and go for Davis, we don’t need a superstar at point - just a guy who can set the offense and ply tough D. I really like the idea of them bringing in a good vet PG behind Rozier - leaving Brown and Smart at the two.

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2019, 04:11:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm as ready as anyone to cut bait on Terry but one big reason we didn't trade him is to have him as a Plan B if Kyrie leaves. If we're retooling a cost-controlled PG will probably look pretty good to the front office, and I don't know who's lining up to overpay him enough for us not to match. It's a distinct possibility he's our starter next year.
Oh yeah I accept that it might happen, just not happy about it lol.

Not a lot to be happy about with the C's this year.  :'(

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2019, 09:56:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm slightly surprised by the poll results: 16-9 yes so far. I imagine a number of people voted yes in a somewhat begrudging way, but accept the fact that Terry may succeed without Kyrie around and he would be a decent salary to have if a trade should later surface.

Personally, I do think he’ll be a team first guy. I heard no complaints about him from anyone last year. I have a feeling that dealing with Irving was more difficult for many of our players than we know. I also very much agree that The reason we didn’t trade Rozier at the deadline is what fairwetherfan said. If we re-tool and go for Davis, we don’t need a superstar at point - just a guy who can set the offense and ply tough D. I really like the idea of them bringing in a good vet PG behind Rozier - leaving Brown and Smart at the two.

I think this where people may begin to disagree. If Smart and Brown are still on the roster, folks may be ready to move on from Terry as Smart and Brown would be the early leaders to start. I suppose we could convince Terry to be a super 6th man (rather than 8th-9th man like he was this season), but starting seems to be a monumental thing for him.

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2019, 10:15:06 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Well, I will say Rozier plays better the more minutes he plays.  My guess is Smart along with Tatum would go in a Davis deal so even bringing in a vet PG let’s say Rubio, I believe more minutes will open up for Rozier.  Maybe if he plays 25 to 30 minutes it will help him be more efficient.  He played many times alongside Irving so he could hypothetically do that with Rubio to get his minutes up.

I’m not crazy about it, but I could see how he could play better in that scenario.

For even Davis to consider staying I think Brown and Hayward would have to have very strong years.

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2019, 10:22:04 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
I'm slightly surprised by the poll results: 16-9 yes so far. I imagine a number of people voted yes in a somewhat begrudging way, but accept the fact that Terry may succeed without Kyrie around and he would be a decent salary to have if a trade should later surface.

I think this where people may begin to disagree. If Smart and Brown are still on the roster, folks may be ready to move on from Terry as Smart and Brown would be the early leaders to start. I suppose we could convince Terry to be a super 6th man (rather than 8th-9th man like he was this season), but starting seems to be a monumental thing for him.

I think most of us are pragmatic. If we lose Kyrie we need a PG and Rozier is familiar with the system. Plus we would be silly to let an asset that we could use walk away. Players don't need to like each other, they just need to be professional. E.g. Kobe and Shaq. I think that this year most of them tried to be, but for players like Terry and Jaylen (at the start) they let their frustrations affect their performance on the court. Maybe if Rozier gets paid he won't try to pad his stats as much as he tried to this year.

That said, it's kind of a "hold your nose and accept him as our starting PG" scenario for me. And I would have zero problems with trading him later in the year, once we are able to, if a better player came along.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2019, 10:59:27 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

In terms of a post Kyrie led Celtics, not only will there be few if any better options on the market this summer than Terry Rozier, but that does not even cover how fortunate we are that is available this summer.

Here we have a distressed asset who had his best years of his career with our team. We have a victim of a one year flop in which he dealt with at best inconsistent minutes and a shaky spot in the rotation.

If DA signed Terry to a legitimate contract, on top of drafting the player 15 spots ahead of where anyone thought he was going to go- In my 2015 mock I had Rozier at pick 33 that year to the Celtics, I agreed with Triboy with Mickey at 28 but had Justin Anderson at 16- Rozier will have a well-placed trust in the Celtics it looked it take us to new heights.

DA values hustles combo guards who hit timely 3's. I firmly believe TR will be a Boston Celtics next year and honestly I think we will be lucky to have him.

If no Kyrie sign Rozier. Sign him regardless of if we get AD or not and even if Smart is still on the team.

Terry Rozier is a Celtic.