Author Topic: We really should fire Danny Ainge  (Read 17749 times)

Re: We really should fire Danny Ainge
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2019, 10:09:17 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I wonder if we were be talking about the great LAL plan had Davis destroyed his leg 8min in the season and Hayward hadn't
I think the problems you saw last year with the roster would have had been there that first season had Hayward not gotten hurt.  In addition, I don't think Brown or Tatum is as good today if that injury hadn't happened either.  The reality is the roster was set up poorly and was bound to have the same issues.  I really don't think Hayward missing time and struggling to come back was the cause, it was quite simply the collection of players wouldn't have worked.

I really don't see how you can be sure that the 2017 Cs would have crashed with a healthy Gordon. The problems the Cs had in 2018 didn't materialize that year before Kyrie got hurt. The young guys hadn't made their playoff run yet and didn't have expectations; Kyrie was weird, to be sure, but there's a lot of reporting that he responded badly to some 2018 events - his grandfather's death and Gordon pressing. Kyrie might have deferred to a healthy Gordon, who also might have helped stop the ball from sticking to Kyrie's hands in crunch time.

I can say with much greater confidence that if Davis destroyed his leg the way Gordon did, the Lakers would have been in some very, very deep pain given the way they mortgaged their future to get him.

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2019, 10:19:56 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

I can say with much greater confidence that if Davis destroyed his leg the way Gordon did, the Lakers would have been in some very, very deep pain given the way they mortgaged their future to get him.
That is not a fair comparison. I would say more fair comparison would be if Lebron broke his leg at the beginning of last year ...he did get injured midway through the season and the Lakers did suck during that time

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2019, 10:31:55 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Lakers have already rebuilt and come next year the team you fleeced will also feature higher top end talent than the C's in shorter rebuild times.

Nets have two injury prone guys and one of them may never be the same.   I also think their chemistry tanks when those two return.

Lakers have an aging star and injury prone Davis.

I think Brown and Tatum took good leaps this year forward and who is to say that won't again.
And the irony is that reply only adds to the argument in support of DA maybe needing to step down as DA's plan was KD, then it changed and went to Irving and Davis. You are knocking the very messiahs DA was going after. How long do we keep this blind support going with all the excuses? When do we stop the bashing of players who turned us down and say, DA tried hard for that guy?

DA isn't horrible but the results show he is not great either. One chip and only two final appearances in 16 years is not up to C's expectations. We currently have zero top 20 players, very unreliable future picks and no foreseeable cap space. This is why I said depending on trade deadline I would think long and hard about DA if I was ownership.
Dude,
70% of Celtics fans believe that Langford is a future all star and that timelord is going to be a defensive player of the year. They were also convinced that James young and Jordan Mickey were going to be stars.
As long as the draft picks keep coming and we have 4 rookies every year ... and Stevens gets his collection of underdogs to overachieve the vast majority of fans will support Ainge
What you mean a team with 5 rookies and 2 more players in their 2nd year (not counting the 2-way players) isn't going to contend?  Especially adding in 3 more players in their 3rd year.  And of those 10 players only 1 was a top 10 pick.

Ainge has continued to treat the team like it is rebuilding but while also trying to win and he has continued to diminish both paths by doing so.  He had needed to pick a direction for years, but he just doesn't seem capable of doing it.
Thanks for the support but let's not pile on now.

We just need to be critical and balance out the kool-aid.

If fairness He was could have gone with Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, and Baynes this year but it was probably ownership and cap hardship looming that made DA continue his in between rebuilding signing Walker.

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2019, 10:41:29 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Ainge has managed to rebuild this team from the ashes of the post New Three era (We don't even need to discuss the first rebuild in the 2000s under his watch).  The past 5 seasons have all yielded playoff appearances including two appearances in the conference finals.   The current incarnation is 14-5, a top 4 team in the conference, & somehow managed to take the blows of losing both Kyrie & Horford.  Ainge  managed to mitigate those huge losses (which could've been crippling) by acquiring Kemba and the team remains a contender in the East. 

Most NBA fanbases would kill for something like that.  Obviously, we all want titles (and did get one last decade) but Danny has done a pretty darn good job in his profession.  He's had his misses like all GMs do but he's also had plenty of successes.    Calling for his firing right now is just plain asinine.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2019, 10:52:38 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
TP Dons, well said.

I also think its strange people are upset about the rookies in the rotation. Danny spent most of his resources available to sign players in Kemba/Kanter. (and had to clear the space to get Kemba) Beyond trading for some veterans he didn't really have a way to acquire good players after that given the cap. That's why Wanamaker/Theis were kept around, we had the ability to retain them even after using our space on Kemba and the exception on Kanter.

Also listening to his comments about clearing the deck he didn't want veterans of the mold of Morris/Rozier who wanted their touches and shots in an effort to allow the top 4 to all eat enough (Tatum/Brown/Walker/Hayward)

I do kinda get not wanting them to sign Kemba, though I disagree.

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2019, 11:06:58 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I wonder if we were be talking about the great LAL plan had Davis destroyed his leg 8min in the season and Hayward hadn't
I think the problems you saw last year with the roster would have had been there that first season had Hayward not gotten hurt.  In addition, I don't think Brown or Tatum is as good today if that injury hadn't happened either.  The reality is the roster was set up poorly and was bound to have the same issues.  I really don't think Hayward missing time and struggling to come back was the cause, it was quite simply the collection of players wouldn't have worked.

You missed the point...... I don't know if the Celtics would have reached the heights were were expecting them to. Same way we don't know now where LAL will end up.

The fact is that because of GH's injury forced the team the play without a prized FA signing for two seasons. This is a huge set back that some people prefer to ignore.

So i wonder would everyone be so in awe of LAL with Davis sidelined for the rest of the season ? LBJ 35yo and zero draft picks till 2030 ?

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2019, 11:36:27 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

You missed the point...... I don't know if the Celtics would have reached the heights were were expecting them to. Same way we don't know now where LAL will end up.

The fact is that because of GH's injury forced the team the play without a prized FA signing for two seasons. This is a huge set back that some people prefer to ignore.

So i wonder would everyone be so in awe of LAL with Davis sidelined for the rest of the season ? LBJ 35yo and zero draft picks till 2030 ?

I think that's right. Now that we're finally seeing good Gordon, I hope people will start to realize what we missed the past two years. Really, really changes the whole team.

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2019, 11:39:50 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

That is not a fair comparison. I would say more fair comparison would be if Lebron broke his leg at the beginning of last year ...he did get injured midway through the season and the Lakers did suck during that time

Losing LeBron would be a different comparison. Either is "fair". The question is: what happens to your team if one star is seriously injured and loses one year then is a shadow of himself for year two?  Danny had really, really bad luck with Hayward. How many NBA stars had a similar injury in 2017? Not many, if any. Maybe DMC. You can't penalize a GM for that.

In fact, Ainge exposed himself to less downside risk precisely because he didn't bet the farm to commit so heavily to one player - because GH was a free agent. He hasn't made a bet as big as LA did with Davis - one that go belly up in a huge, huge way with an injury.

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2019, 01:09:00 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I agree somewhat..guy cant draft for sure..only hits has been Tatum, Perk, Brown, Rondo, Bradley, might miss someone else..

Al Jefferson, Tony Allen, Delonte West, Leon Powe, Glen Davis, Ryan Gomes, Marcus Smart, E’twaun Moore, Kelly Olynyk, and Terry Rozier. And arguably Jared Sullinger.

All were solid players, even if Danny didn’t always hit on the best available player.

That list is a real whose who of, "who?"

I'm sure you'll agree that only die-hard Celtics fans and followers of TMZ will know who even a third of the guys on that list are.  N'ery a star among them which I think is the OP's point.   

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2019, 01:14:27 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I remember I wanted us to fire Danny when he traded Rondo to the Mavs. ;D

Didn't like the KG-PP trade either. Wanted us to keep PP till the day he would retire.

Danny is a great GM. I'm glad he's running the C's.

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2019, 01:15:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I agree somewhat..guy cant draft for sure..only hits has been Tatum, Perk, Brown, Rondo, Bradley, might miss someone else..

Al Jefferson, Tony Allen, Delonte West, Leon Powe, Glen Davis, Ryan Gomes, Marcus Smart, E’twaun Moore, Kelly Olynyk, and Terry Rozier. And arguably Jared Sullinger.

All were solid players, even if Danny didn’t always hit on the best available player.

I'm sure you'll agree that only die-hard Celtics fans and followers of TMZ will know who even a third of the guys on that list are.  N'ery a star among them which I think is the OP's point.   

I’m not sure that grading draft picks based upon who casual fans can identify is the best standard.  Every one of those guys with the exception of Leon Powe turned into a regular NBA starter.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2019, 01:24:34 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

I’m not sure that grading draft picks based upon who casual fans can identify is the best standard.  Every one of those guys with the exception of Leon Powe turned into a regular NBA starter.
Of course you can find a few decent picks out of the 50+ draft choices that Danny has made in his career.

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2019, 01:30:13 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I really look forward to when Danny gets credit for Jaylen/Jayson/Smart in a few years.

Its so surreal to see the core of the current team drafted by him as people who care more about wins produced of role players in the lower end of the draft rant that he should be fired. (I assume so they can get the job?)

Just look at the players around those guys, it'd be incredibly easy to draft similar to the "consensus board" and come up with zero rotation players!!!

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2019, 01:31:55 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Danny is a great GM, but please don't name Olynyk among his draft hits. :P Still can't get over the fact that Danny himself had scouted Giannis in Greece and he ended up drafting Olynyk over him. If you ask me, that's his biggest mistake since he took over the team in 2003.

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2019, 01:32:15 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Of course you can find a few decent picks out of the 50+ draft choices that Danny has made in his career.

Some of those decent picks were enough to snag KG so clearly someone else was also valuing them. 

And, really, who cares if the casual NBA fan knows who the draft picks are.  It's really a standard that's irrelevant.  Value is value.  If teams are valuing guys in terms of personnel moves, then there is some inherent value there.  Whether Johnny and his family of 4 knows who the 3rd rotation sub is shouldn't matter.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team