Poll

What grade would you give Ainge and the Celtics for this trade?

A
B
C
D
F

Author Topic: Boston getting Tyler Zeller and 1st rounder from Cavs and Thorton from Nets  (Read 42574 times)

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
My biggest question is that if we keep Zeller, is he really a legit Center? He's not a rim-protector (nor will he be with his below-average arm length)... Ideally, he could be good post defender if he were to get to that 255-260 weight range to compliment his decent quick feet.

I'm just providing some pessimism due to watching his college play, where he was essentially a stretch 4... along with our plethora of them..

I respectively disagree on him being a stretch 4 in college.  He played along Henson and Barnes his last two years and Roy ran their half court offense right through Zeller in the post on either block.  He has a nice post game  ( hooks from either block ) he has tremendous speed for a big man.  Shoots pretty well for the line, he is not a shot blocker but at UNC he was great on rotations on defense and stepping in and taking a charge.  He is a solid NBA C and a slightly higher upside playing with Rondo....

Not sure if Stevens will take advantage of his speed like Roy did, well Kendall Marshall did.  Kendall Marshall is one of the best I have ever seen passing up court on the fast break, it's a joy to watch....

with this in mind, would it be worth having him gain an extra 10 lbs?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
Is anyone at all excited about getting Thorton or does everyone view him simply as cap filler? It wasn't that long ago that some fans were hoping we would trade for him when he was on the Kings.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Is anyone at all excited about getting Thorton or does everyone view him simply as cap filler? It wasn't that long ago that some fans were hoping we would trade for him when he was on the Kings.

Filler, though if he plays well, great, he'll be "filler+"
Celtics fan for life.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He's basically Nick Young, people thought he'd fit well with veterans as a SG alongside Rondo with Pierce/KG/et al but now....

Just play Smart/Bradley/Rondo all those minutes.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He's basically Nick Young, people thought he'd fit well with veterans as a SG alongside Rondo with Pierce/KG/et al but now....

I see him getting minutes up till the trade deadline to show contenders he can help as a half year rental.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!

filler and a nice expiring

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Also i think this whole deal is contingent on Lebron picking Cleveland. None of this is guaranteed.
I disagree, multiple reports have indicated this deal is happening no matter what LeBron decides.

Cavs have backup targets for the cap space if LeBron doesn't sign with them.

Oh nice! Any links, or names you can link to that report?
Marc Stein tweeted about it about an hour ago, I believe others have as well.

Brian Windhorst tweet:

Cavs planned to make version of this trade regardless of LeBron plans, sources say. Should not be indication any LeBron decision reached.

Very nice  ;D

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I see him getting minutes up till the trade deadline to show contenders he can help as a half year rental.

Yeah. I think he can serve a role on the roster as a bench gunner/6th man, but I wonder if he'll be happy/good teammate in that role. Could potentially be a headache.

Another pump and dump candidate like Jordan Crawford last season.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
I was over on the Cavs blog and a majority of the posters seemed really upset by losing Zeller. They seen a lot of potential in him.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Funny Cleveland turned their cap space into Bynum/Jack. Then gave away picks to trade both away to get that cap space back and a rental of Deng...

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
so we get a serviceable "back up" C(arguable) and we're all jumping for joy? that pick seems all but useless unless it ends up being part of a trade.

as it looks now we're going to be starting 5 guards(and looking to add more) apparently...and we still have bass, green & Wallace.

I'm usually a lot more positive and don't overreact but Danny's got me scratching my head this summer.

We had 3 days to use the TPE before it expired (which a lot of them end up doing). Danny basically rented it to get a cheap upgrade at center and a 1st. That's a solid trade for us.

yeah i'm not against the trade for those reasons. i'm just not liking the look of this team.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Can someone change the thread title to reflect that the 1st rounder is actually coming from the Cavs?

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Can someone change the thread title to reflect that the 1st rounder is actually coming from the Cavs?
Done.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Done.

Thank God, now I can sleep better tonight. :)

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Just in case anyone is keeping score at home, I saw on Sosh that in the last 18 months -

Danny traded:

Paul Pierce (1yr)
Kevin Garnett (2yrs)
Doc Rivers (3yrs)
Jason Terry (2yrs)
DJ White (1yr)
Leandro Barbosa with a torn ACL
Jason Collins (1yr)
unknown 2nd-round pick

Danny received:

2014 BKN unprotected 1st-round pick (James Young)
2015 PHI protected 1st-round pick
2015 LAC unprotected 1st-round pick
2016 CLE protected 1st-round pick
2016 BKN unprotected 1st-round pick
2018 BKN unprotected 1st-round pick
Right to swap 1st-round picks with BKN in 2017
2016 MIA 2nd-round pick
Keith Bogans non-guaranteed contract
Gerald Wallace (3yrs)
Kris Humphries (1yr)
Marcus Thornton (1yr)
Tyler Zeller

I may have missed something, but I think most of the important pieces are included above. I am impressed by Danny.

EDIT: YIKES!!! i just edited to include seller. silly me to leave him off.  ::)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:38:15 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva