Author Topic: Cord cutters, how do you watch live Celtics games?  (Read 3875 times)

Re: Cord cutters, how do you watch live Celtics games?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2020, 04:12:42 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I recently changed over to YouTube TV and I really like it. It has unlimited DVR so as long as I put a show or sport team on my list, it automatically records it to no end. I also purchased Roku so I can have a remote and it works really well. One TV came with Roku so YouTube TV works better on that one. The one where I had to buy the device, every once in a while it would take some time for the game to load but it wasn't a big deal.

It also led me to invest on more streaming services like Netflix, Disney+ and soon, HBO Max and it will still be less than what I was paying with cable.

The thing I find useful about using the different streaming services rather than cable is that it's very easy to sign up and cancel. So if there's an HBO show you want to watch, sign up for a month and then cancel. You can stagger your subscriptions so that you're not paying for all of them at the same time and that really reduces the cost.
AT&T TV has HBO for 5 bucks since they have common ownership (you get HBO, HBO 2, HBO Family, and HBO Latino).  Also get EPIX and CineMax in the regular package.  I think my package is like 50-60 bucks a month and I get all of the sports and kids channels I would use along with all the standard cable and locals.  It really is a lot cheaper.  I'm not in New England, so I don't get the C's unless I buy the NBA package, but I'd have to do that no matter the service I would use.

For me, the cost of YouTube TV is $50, $40 for having internet, then $13 for Netflix and $6 for Disney+. In the end, I am saving money with what I was paying before (something like $140-160 for cable TV and internet) and I am getting more content with the streaming service. It's not necessarily a great steal unless you share streaming with others but it definitely works for me. I have also noticed that since we made the move, we've been watching a lot less live TV as well. Maybe that also coincides with a lack of original programming due to the corona but still.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2020, 10:55:44 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I recently changed over to YouTube TV and I really like it. It has unlimited DVR so as long as I put a show or sport team on my list, it automatically records it to no end. I also purchased Roku so I can have a remote and it works really well. One TV came with Roku so YouTube TV works better on that one. The one where I had to buy the device, every once in a while it would take some time for the game to load but it wasn't a big deal.

It also led me to invest on more streaming services like Netflix, Disney+ and soon, HBO Max and it will still be less than what I was paying with cable.

The thing I find useful about using the different streaming services rather than cable is that it's very easy to sign up and cancel. So if there's an HBO show you want to watch, sign up for a month and then cancel. You can stagger your subscriptions so that you're not paying for all of them at the same time and that really reduces the cost.
AT&T TV has HBO for 5 bucks since they have common ownership (you get HBO, HBO 2, HBO Family, and HBO Latino).  Also get EPIX and CineMax in the regular package.  I think my package is like 50-60 bucks a month and I get all of the sports and kids channels I would use along with all the standard cable and locals.  It really is a lot cheaper.  I'm not in New England, so I don't get the C's unless I buy the NBA package, but I'd have to do that no matter the service I would use.
is that the same as DirecTV Now?  I've had that a couple of times during the playoffs when the NBA goes to ESPN which isn't in my DirecTV satellite package

Yeah, it changed names maybe a year or two ago.   Same platform.  I use it also. 

I like AT&T Now.  Pretty reasonable cost & you get both TNT & ESPN so you're pretty much covered outside of NBA TV if you're out of town & also use League Pass.
any idea if there's a DVR type of capability with that service?  I don't always get to watch the games live so I DVR them just in case

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2020, 11:07:40 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

is that the same as DirecTV Now?  I've had that a couple of times during the playoffs when the NBA goes to ESPN which isn't in my DirecTV satellite package

Yeah, it changed names maybe a year or two ago.   Same platform.  I use it also. 

I like AT&T Now.  Pretty reasonable cost & you get both TNT & ESPN so you're pretty much covered outside of NBA TV if you're out of town & also use League Pass.
any idea if there's a DVR type of capability with that service?  I don't always get to watch the games live so I DVR them just in case

Yup, there is.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2020, 11:47:22 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Yup, there is.
good to know.  thanks.  their satellite product has just gotten too expensive with the programming and equipment.  was looking to purge the equipment on a couple of TVs and just go with fire sticks on them to cut costs.  if there's DVR, may just cut the satellite altogether since it craps out in bad weather anyway. 

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2020, 12:35:32 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Appreciate everyones feedback here.
It seems like youtube TV is going to be my best bet once basketball comes back.

I was paying $165/month for comcast, now Fios with faster speed is costing me $60, when and if i get youtube tv that will be $110 so still a decent savings compared to comcast.

I wish league pass would allow people to purchase coverage of their hometown team without blackouts. I hope with so many streaming options opening up that they adjust that rule.