Author Topic: Javonte Green was still a rookie  (Read 2579 times)

Javonte Green was still a rookie
« on: April 17, 2020, 09:34:40 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
He surely ticks the box of athleticism ,He is certainly value for money and is entertaining in highlite reels.
I always give rookies the benefit of doubt as to getting used to NBA talent and speed of games and add in complexity of a constantly switching defence.
Will Javonte even get an opportunity to take advantage of coaching in whatever off season there is? Can he up his defensive game? Can he shoot? Does he still have time?
I have been blinded by his motor in transition, his weakside dunks .He wows the crowds and our bench responses are classic.
He is an exciting,a durable low cost good guy, that was after all a rookie..

Re: Javonte Green was still a rookie
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 05:23:16 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Romeo missed so much of the last two years either playing hurt or rehabbing .Then  a series of niggling injuries and now the tail end of season, as he was just showing promise and getting court time. No weight training or drills ,no ballhandling or putting up shots with a coach--" just isolation."
 About the same for Rob Williams, missed summer league and training camp and his first year was just about growing up.
I was hoping that working with a trainer like Drew Hanlon could increase Romeos lateral and add some burst/quick to his fluidity and work on his shot
Jason and Drew Hanlon worked on his finishing at the rim and Romeo needs the drills and reps not getting blocked in games.
So its back to the draft.Both Romeo and Rob tick my personal requirement length and size for position with athleticism.

Javonte Green has elite athleticism and is a elite finisher in transition.,
Does Brad like having so many different tools.
Do we really need 3 firsts in a lousy draft-

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 05:33:02 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I feel trust on defense is the biggest thing for BS. I think Romeo is gaining it. Green was hit or miss but a solid offensive option.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 05:46:45 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Green just doesn't have a game beyond crazy athleticism. His defense might have come along, but, he stopped getting minutes way back.

He is amazing dunker/driver. He can launch with the best of them, but he has no outside shot. Not a problem on this Celtics team, but, then he must be a top defender. Semi gets minutes for this reason.

Romeo is fine. He will be a starter or 6th or 7th guy in a couple of years.

Robert gets hurt too much. He's going to be a solid rotation big....but...

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 06:16:15 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I’d be surprised if he makes the team next year.  We have 3 first round picks this draft.  Hopefully, Ainge can trade into next year’s draft or draft and stash.  Still, we’ll likely have at least two new rookie first round picks.  Plus, they need to make a decision on Waters and Taco who are currently on two way contracts.

Also, I’m optimistic on Langford making a big leap forward which would make Green more redundant.

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 06:19:36 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I was just reading that Tatum hasn’t picked up a ball since the season was suspended.  He hasn’t had the opportunity to.  Depending on how long this quarantine goes on for, I wonder how it’s going to effect the development of the young players who usually get a lot of high level training in the offseason.

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 12:11:16 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I was just reading that Tatum hasn’t picked up a ball since the season was suspended.  He hasn’t had the opportunity to.  Depending on how long this quarantine goes on for, I wonder how it’s going to effect the development of the young players who usually get a lot of high level training in the offseason.

I was thinking about that as well. Best some could do is improve their body, maybe do some dribbling drills. But if you have no hoop at home, its gonna be tough. I know some of the stars have baskets at their homes so they could at least do basketball related stuff but for guys in their rookie contracts its gonna be hard.

The thing with Green is that he has really no other standout skill other than his athleticism. He doesnt provide much spacing and defensively Romeo has been better. Rollie says he is a rookie but dont let that fool you. He is older than even Marcus Smart. I'd rather give the minutes to Langford so he can develop.

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 04:29:34 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
I sincerely believe that anybody that never played NBA basketball  and all his experience is overseas. That there is a huge adjustment period to USA players length ,athleticism  across the board.  This applies particularly on defence trying to stop players that are offensive minded and elite. The amount of screens and switching and preparation of todays offenses.
Then the learning and complexity of Celtics defensive sets and strengths and weaknesses of all his teammates.
For instance Daniel Theis, there is no comparison to when he came over from Germany and his now developed team chemistry with rolls and seals and his timing with Tatum is a thing of beauty.
I emphasized Javonte because I thought others might be able to comment on potential growth vs more rookies
 .Also the bonus of a cheap contract but as others stated he takes time away from Romeo who has that elite length.
I post these to learn from others views and experience.

Carsen Edwards intense and driven another short guy but has 6-6 wingspan and a motor I figure he had so much on his plate defensively it effected his shooting .Coming in as a offensive sparkplug cold takes a special type of shooter-is he one.

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 11:51:02 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Javonte absolutely earned a spot on the Cs roster this season. I was happy to see his effort and determination pay off by living out his dream. Because of the C's roster make-up and the draft picks coming along, I think he will find it difficult to find a place on next season's team, but I do think he is good enough to play in the NBA. Hopefully he finds his way on another team next season if he isn't with the Cs.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 12:10:44 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
Javonte absolutely earned a spot on the Cs roster this season. I was happy to see his effort and determination pay off by living out his dream. Because of the C's roster make-up and the draft picks coming along, I think he will find it difficult to find a place on next season's team, but I do think he is good enough to play in the NBA. Hopefully he finds his way on another team next season if he isn't with the Cs.

Agree. He earned his spot this year, but I don’t see him on the Celtics going forward. He should get a chance to stick with another team. Abdel Nader did.

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 12:17:12 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I emphasized Javonte because I thought others might be able to comment on potential growth vs more rookies

I can’t say I’ve got any kind of handle on the incoming rookie class. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the Celtics weren’t interested in drafting anyone at all this year.

You take on a rookie, invest a lot of coaching time, putting up with the breakdowns and mistakes and uncertainties, with the hope that a useful player will develop. Even the best rookies are usually a net negative in the actual games, but you put them in as an investment in the future.

At some point, the future arrives, though.

Looks to me like Boston had an excellent draft last year on top of a roster that was already young, in addition to adding a couple of undrafted players with real NBA potential. There’s a limit to how long you keep adding players for their potential.

Carsen Edwards intense and driven another short guy but has 6-6 wingspan and a motor I figure he had so much on his plate defensively it effected his shooting .Coming in as a offensive sparkplug cold takes a special type of shooter-is he one.

Also, he’s 200 lbs. Also, he’s got burst - very quick off the floor. Those plus his bulldog mentality suggest he’ll be a plus defender.

They gave him a four-year deal at good money - they believe in his potential. We should, too.

Shooting %s will come around, his mechanics and touch are really good, and he was shooting a lot of those off the dribble. Keep the sample size in mind - two more makes and he’d have been at .334 for threes. 9/15 from long midrange; if that’s real he’s one of the rare players you want taking those shots.

Good handles going either way (ZERO lost-ball turnovers), but the real deficiency is finishing at the rim. The outside shots will open up if they have to guard him for the drive.

The other big growth area is creating shots for teammates.

'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 01:26:56 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Edwards had a weak rookie year. He plays for a really deep young team and minutes are rare.

Again, I follow college hoops and watched numerous Purdue games.
When Ainge drafted Edwards, beyond his size, it made sense. Ainge was hoping for a "bench shooter" and this is why.

2019 NCAA tournament (Edwards)
3/21 vs Old Domninion - 26 points
3/23 vs Villanova - 42 points
3/28 Tennessee - 29 points
3/31 vs Virginia - 42 points (OT) he was 10/19 from three in the biggest game he ever played in. He carried Purdue into the tournament. He was "team high scorer" for Purdue's final ten games and they were 8-2.

Kids a winner. When it is "all on him" he hits at a very high percentage.

Will any of this translate into the NBA?

I just don't know. He has to figure out how to come into an NBA game cold and pop a couple of threes consistently. If you read about him, you'll learn that his personality indicates he'll overcome this problem.

Watch Purdue v. Villanova and then against Virginia on YouTube. Edwards, if they'd beaten Virginia, would've been tournament MVP.

We've seen college scorers crash before. Edwards has a good shot at the NBA as he has what everybody wants..."crazy deep three point shooting ability."

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 11:54:46 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I'd like to have Javonte back if he improves on his three point shooting, but I'm not sure how likely that is with his age.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 12:00:03 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Kids a winner...

...He has to figure out how to come into an NBA game cold and pop a couple of threes consistently. If you read about him, you'll learn that his personality indicates he'll overcome this problem.

Yes. Skills and intangibles all check out. He’s a good bet.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021