Author Topic: What past Celtic compares to Romeo  (Read 4435 times)

Re: What past Celtic compares to Romeo
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2020, 02:16:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Marquis Daniels, at least in the way he gets to the rim.  Now he has to learned a few up-fakes or he will continue to get stuffed.
I think this is a great one.

yup ....been a while , but that seems to be the way I recalled MD  , deceptive good skills, tuff  and quick .

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2020, 02:30:26 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Closest I can think of is a poor mans version of Evan Turner..can get to the rim but is awkward and doesn't overpower opposing defense even if he is bigger than him...lacks the long ball but can handle the rock..slightly reliable on D.

Could be serviceable in the future but I really honestly see him flourishing after his rookie deal to a different team...

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2020, 09:05:24 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He has some Daniels to game but with JR Giddens' body and athleticism.  Romeo is a much better athlete than Turner/Daniels.

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2020, 12:56:49 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Don Chaney - big defensive guard with some work to do on his shot.

Those 1973 & 1974 Celtics were monster teams. Repeat without Havlicek's shoulder injury.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 11:57:14 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Those 1973 & 1974 Celtics were monster teams. Repeat without Havlicek's shoulder injury.
Was Don Chaney as skilled as Romeo (relative to his peers) in shot creation? I read that JoJo/Hondo/Cowens were the main trio on offence.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 02:14:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Romeo has to improve his 3 point shooting...

man I dislike his shooting stroke. It is unsteady and release point is different everytime.  He also looks like a pretzel before shooting

If he can't shoot. Marquis Daniels is a good comparison (hopefully not).

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2020, 02:49:50 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Romeo was injured the first half of the season.. let's see him work properly this year .. defensive he is already a steady guy.. he can create too.. he needs to score more.. if you watch the games it is as if he is not allowed to take many shots.. and does not get the passes... something natural for a pick in a playoff team.. he is not better now than Walker smart brown tatum and hayward... we will see

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2020, 09:42:22 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
JR Giddens.  ;)

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2020, 10:08:24 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Romeo might be the Cs player who lost the most, personally, from the shutdown. He was getting minutes finally, and would have had a nice chance to develop and experience the playoffs (at least from the bench). Brad would have learned more about him and he could have developed some more confidence to take the "second year leap."

Young guys him just get so much better from playing ball with other NBA-level talent, more than anything else. Now, he's looking at 3-4 months, minimum, where he can't even get on a court with other players.

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2020, 11:04:22 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Romeo might be the Cs player who lost the most, personally, from the shutdown. He was getting minutes finally, and would have had a nice chance to develop and experience the playoffs (at least from the bench). Brad would have learned more about him and he could have developed some more confidence to take the "second year leap."

Young guys him just get so much better from playing ball with other NBA-level talent, more than anything else. Now, he's looking at 3-4 months, minimum, where he can't even get on a court with other players.

Tatum too. He was getting a lot of opportunity to figure out how to deal with double teams, but no that isn't an option.  Even if he's able to work out normally this offseason, there won't be anything that compares to real game time. I think he'll still get there by the all star break, but it would have been really great if he could have that worked out this year before/during the playoffs.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2020, 05:09:58 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732

Was Don Chaney as skilled as Romeo (relative to his peers) in shot creation? I read that JoJo/Hondo/Cowens were the main trio on offence.

You are correct - Havlicek, JoJo and Cowens were the Big 3 on offense and Chaney was not a particularly good perimeter shooter. He was a big strong defensive guard and a perfect fit on that team. I'm not sure if Langford will be the elite defender that Don Chaney was, but his size, inconsistent shot and defensive potential made me think of #12 from that 1970's group.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2020, 05:08:30 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Just imagine Evan Turner had the Celtics drafted him .Evan Turner might have become a completely different player.
.Romeo with his season at Indiana sabotaged by ligament issue, that he kept hidden during regular season-No excuses he just kept playing for what looked like a very weak team. He said he didn't want surgery out of loyalty to teammates The kid was loyal to his town and signed every autograph even if it meant 30minutes extra.
 The kid is humble .

Both Romeo and Robert Williams fell out of lottery and we are Danny(lucky) they did.
The development of Romeo also was delayed with his rehab holding him out of combine, summer league
training camp and a portion of pre season.
So we have loyalty ,humility and he showed his courage every time he set up for a charge-not a flinch.
He was not intimidated guarding Lebron or after a slashing move through the paint and a hard foul. He then calmly hit his two foul shots. He also has shown promise with his weakside rebounding and put backs.
He turned 20 in October and was just gaining traction the 2nd half of season.
He has that gifted ability to dribble low to ground ,has good lower body strength to use getting over screens. And that length that allows him to recover and bother or blocks shots and rebound over the back of taller players. Great timing blocking shots and gets up quickly off two feet

He has work ethic and, the incredible Auerbach Center,,committed coaches and trainers. Danny is always watching and Brad a hands on young coach.
Not enough can be said of the crew of hard working young guys (Marcus,Jaylen, Jason) and vets (Kemba Hayward) on future development of young players. Most players that come to Celtics have renewed their careers with their best seasons.
Bring in Drew Hanlon for Romeo ASAP.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 06:09:05 AM by rollie mass »