Author Topic: Draft Zeke Nnaji with our Grizz pick  (Read 5521 times)

Draft Zeke Nnaji with our Grizz pick
« on: April 01, 2020, 12:36:58 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
Freshman 7' center from Arizona with size, agility and talent. Here is a quote from the ESPN story on him declaring for the draft today:

"The 7-footer averaged 16.1 points and 8.6 rebounds per game for the Wildcats, establishing himself as one of the hardest-playing big men in the country and vastly exceeding early expectations thanks to his agility, soft touch and efficient style of play."

C'mon Danny - for once, wake up and put a premium on size and our interior.
Along with a knock-down catch & shoot guy off the bench, this is our greatest need to win a title.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Re: Draft Zeke Nnaji with our Grizz pick
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 03:44:23 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I've been on board with drafting Nnaji for quite some time. 6'11", 240lbs, 7'1" wingspan who is a good rebounder and mid-range shooter. His free throw shooting is also good, so I think he could develop his range and be a 33-35% shooter from 3.

But his inside scoring, offensive rebounding and ability to draw fouls are my favourite skills of his. Solid late-riser, and he should be available with our Grizz pick
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 10:41:10 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
He's not a leaper, but it's hard to leap when you're 6'11" 240. He's long, but not that long.

His free throw shooting looks very good.
His jumper's form is good.
His lateral movement underneath is a little clunky, but accurate.
His movements on defense seem well timed.

His hands are outstanding!

He's a kid that needs coaching and that describes every draft pick out there.

The gig is, would Danny draft Zeke?

He's not a smallish, streaky combo guard, but, we might be able to convert him into one. Simply under report his height a little. Claim he hit 9 threes in one game in high school three years ago and make him out to be a great playmaker.

Do not, under any circumstances let Danny find out he's a center that shoots well.

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 02:04:03 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I like Nnaji but at #17 I think there will me much better players available. He is someone I would look at in the late 1st.

My worries with Nnaji are

his outside shot is only theoretical, he only attempted 17 3s all season.

averaged .8 ast and 2.2 to per game

despite being near 7' with a 7'1 wingspan he averaged less then 1 blk per game

how much of his production helped by playing with a great passing PG in Mannion?

Bigs I would take a tier ahead of Nnaji

Okongwu
Wiseman
Achiuwa
Toppin
Tilman
Stewart
Smith

In same tier as Nnaji

Carey Jr
Tillie (would be higher if no health concerns)
Perry
Reed
Oturu

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 02:38:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It seems the "let's start a thread talking about 2nd round talent level picks and how they might become 1st round picks" season is in full swing.

This year's draft is going to suck. No NCAA tournament to judge how players perform at the highest level of competition. Maybe no combines. A delayed draft. And a very subpar group of talent. Not even a clear couple of studs like last year. Not sure anyone in this draft is even as good of a prospect as last year's #3 pick, RJ Barrett, and Barrett ain't that good.

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 03:14:52 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174
It seems the "let's start a thread talking about 2nd round talent level picks and how they might become 1st round picks" season is in full swing.

This year's draft is going to suck. No NCAA tournament to judge how players perform at the highest level of competition. Maybe no combines. A delayed draft. And a very subpar group of talent. Not even a clear couple of studs like last year. Not sure anyone in this draft is even as good of a prospect as last year's #3 pick, RJ Barrett, and Barrett ain't that good.

There will be a couple of guys picked in the draft that will be NBA level starters but it's a crapshoot and there will be some good role players. Expectations should be low...

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 03:48:44 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I like Zeke, but I think he's going in the 2nd round, so why even bother using our 1st round pick on him? There are certainly better prospects than him to be honest. His size is great, but he runs also very awkwardly/clunky similar to Myles Turner. While Turner adapted well, his shooting from 3 and BPG is quintessential in today's NBA, I don't see the same in Zeke. I also think he's more of a finesse post player who will get taken advantage of against smart/stronger/physical defenders.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 03:56:17 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

I agree that this draft both the players and the process are a let down. I also agree Barrett would be the #1 pick in this class.

One thing that has to be remembered is that even the worst drafts can change franchises. 2013 is widely considered one of the worsts drafts in NBA history. I mean Anthony Bennet was the #1 pick!It did produce one super star in Giannis #15 and really good players in Gobert #27, McCcoolum#10, Oladipo#2, Adams#12,and Porter #3. While the 2020 draft will have alot of bust in the top 10 I am confident that the smarter front offices will be able to find starter or at least rotation level players in the middle and late first round.     
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 09:40:20 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Knowing Danny he will get another tweener..loves non shooters who play hard..or shooters who are small.

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 10:21:55 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Knowing Danny he will get another tweener..loves non shooters who play hard..or shooters who are small.
like jaylen brown and jason tatum?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 01:06:40 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
like jaylen brown and jason tatum?

like Brown and Tatum and FA Hayward and Ojeleye .................... Danny did great acquiring those guys. Great evals and a little luck. But we are well stocked at the wing for the next millennium. Now apply some of that talent evaluation to finding a post rebounder/defender who has the IQ and hands to play well under Stevens' system. We miss Baynes and he was big and clunky. But he filled an important need for this team, which has not been filled. I guess Danny and Brad just want a bunch of undersized, finesse players so Rob Williams is your center for the future, if he can stay healthy. That would make Grant Williams your backup.

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 08:42:44 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Ainge also scouted Daniel Theis in Europe since he was a teenager and brought him over after he became developed and this year Theis developed further with starter minutes and became a very good, defensive starting center in the league.

Me, I'm less concerned by height as most. If he can play, he can play. Danny also drafted Rob Williams and though he got injured, he definitely appeared to be getting it and showing signs he could be a defensive difference maker at center.

Danny doesn't just love adding guards or undersized players. But he does love taking the best player available, whether they are tall enough at their position to satisfy height-fetished fans or not.

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 12:49:42 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
Ainge also scouted Daniel Theis in Europe since he was a teenager and brought him over after he became developed and this year Theis developed further with starter minutes and became a very good, defensive starting center in the league.

Me, I'm less concerned by height as most. If he can play, he can play. Danny also drafted Rob Williams and though he got injured, he definitely appeared to be getting it and showing signs he could be a defensive difference maker at center.

Danny doesn't just love adding guards or undersized players. But he does love taking the best player available, whether they are tall enough at their position to satisfy height-fetished fans or not.

True. Claiming that he only drafts “guards and tweezers,” is just parroting a lazy man’s argument.

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 06:57:11 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Not a chance Danny takes this kid at 17. ZERO!

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 12:14:46 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
Not a lazy man's argument at all. Danny showed his true colors in 2011 when he made the most disastrous trade of his tenure - and lost banner #18 in one day - by giving away Perk for Jeff Green - if that ain't choosing soft, finesse (and inefficient athleticism) for effective size that fit that particular team perfectly, I don't know what you would call it.

I didn't say he never acquired post players, but most are projects or undersized or finesse guys. This always puzzled me a little given the Celtics teams Danny played on that won with the best frontcourt combos in history with Bird, Max, McHale, Parish and then Walton for a season (I know, I know, the game has changed). Maybe, but obviously size and interior scoring & defense still matter, a lot. Just look at the very top of the league.