Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 484360 times)

RodyTur10, tazzmaniac, cdcd, celticinorlando, Roy H., DefenseWinsChamps, Section 87, wdleehi, bdm860 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs
« Reply #5910 on: April 23, 2024, 06:42:53 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
James miss wide open 3 with 11 seconds to go that would probably win the game for them..then Murray hit game winner over Davis to win it at buzzer, Davis complain earlier he frustrated he don’t win defensive player of the year…love it!!!!!!!!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5911 on: April 23, 2024, 06:44:15 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2972
I only saw the Fake Show first half . They played hard D and shot well .  I don’t think they can play any better, that was pretty much I feel their best effort and they still lost. 
Series over .

« Reply #5912 on: April 23, 2024, 07:00:03 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Some fun games last night, gonna be a rollercoaster of a playoffs and gonna take near perfect basketball to beat the nuggets in a single game never mind a 7 game series.

« Reply #5913 on: April 23, 2024, 07:35:40 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 672
  • MASTER OF PANIC
In the first 2 games the Lakers have somewhat outplayed Denver until late. They just can't finish vs the Nuggets.

James has a 3 to basically win the game and he misses. Murray did not.

Really hope Boston does not play with their food tomorrow. So far the teams down 0-1 have pushed the home teams extremely hard in game 2. I expect this will be the best version we see of this Heat team in game 2. Will it be enough? Not if Boston comes out like game 1. But if the Cs mess around they will find themselves in a close game late.

« Reply #5914 on: April 23, 2024, 07:58:00 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
There is so much difference in top end talent between LAL/PHI and MIA without Butler. BOS just needs to say focused.  Keep their eye on the prize. 1 win down, 15 to go.  MIA will come out scrappy. It shouldn’t matter. 

« Reply #5915 on: April 23, 2024, 08:08:09 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25621
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
One thing I agree with Lebron on:  foul calls shouldn't be overturned on replay for "marginal contact".   

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5916 on: April 23, 2024, 08:50:15 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 989
One thing I agree with Lebron on:  foul calls shouldn't be overturned on replay for "marginal contact".

I’m not sure the contact on Russell was marginal, so I agree that call should have stood.  It doesn’t take much contact around the face area to cause a serious injury.  But I like the “marginal contact” rule in general because it lets the replay center correct calls where there was a small amount of contact but a player flopped to get the call.

« Reply #5917 on: April 23, 2024, 09:15:14 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25621
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I’m not sure the contact on Russell was marginal, so I agree that call should have stood.  It doesn’t take much contact around the face area to cause a serious injury.  But I like the “marginal contact” rule in general because it lets the replay center correct calls where there was a small amount of contact but a player flopped to get the call.

I guess if they're going to do that I'd prefer the standard be "incidental contact".  Particularly with shooting fouls, any amount of contact can disrupt a player's shot.  My biggest issue is that I think that the refs and the replace center interpret what is or isn't marginal wildly inconsistently.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5918 on: April 23, 2024, 09:22:29 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3009
  • On To Banner 18!
I have no sympathy for the Lakers. A team that has nearly a +500 FTA differential compared to the next team, and even last night most of the game the refs were just helping LAL until they flipped very late. Seeing some of them cry after the game and D'Lo tweeting about it as well was music to my ears.

That's a wrap for the Lakers. No chance they are winning 4 of the next 5. I don't think the Lakers could play much better than last night but Denver can absolutely play a lot better. They weren't really good last night and still won. Scary.

And btw, your boy called it again:

Same script. Lakers start off well. Then the Nuggets settle in and say “watch this” then go ahead and win in the 2nd half

Same in Game 1. Mostly the same all last playoffs too. Denver is sort of in their heads the same way Miami and Golden State in recent years was/is in the Celtics'

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5919 on: April 23, 2024, 09:52:58 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2949

I guess if they're going to do that I'd prefer the standard be "incidental contact".  Particularly with shooting fouls, any amount of contact can disrupt a player's shot.  My biggest issue is that I think that the refs and the replace center interpret what is or isn't marginal wildly inconsistently.

That overturned call had real “JB gets hit in the head but is marginal contact and overturned on replay” vibes to it. Hard to feel bad for the Lakers given how many calls they get, but that one was bad. Clearly didn’t think there was enough there to overturn. There’s just simply no consistency.

« Reply #5920 on: April 23, 2024, 09:56:54 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873

Why aren't they calling flopping more?

Funny use of phrasing, "non-unsportsmanlike".  So I guess flopping is considered sportsmanlike theatrics?

Reactions to contact that are deemed secondary, excessive, and theatrical will be deemed as flops. The penalty for a flop will be a non-unsportsmanlike technical foul. However, it will not count toward the possible ejection of a player. For an ejection, two unsportsmanlike technical fouls are needed

« Reply #5921 on: April 23, 2024, 10:04:32 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 989

I think it was deemed marginal in this case in part because it was deemed to have occurred sufficiently after the shot was released to have not affected it.  As I said, I disagree that contact to the head or face is ever truly marginal when the offending player is swinging their arms in an attempt to block a shot, but I don’t think the shot was altered because of the contact.

« Reply #5922 on: April 23, 2024, 10:15:42 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2415
The San Antonio Spurs do not see Trae Young as a fit next to Victor Wembanyama, sources told Kurt Helin of NBC Sports.

Helin adds that the Spurs could be interested in Dejounte Murray instead.

« Reply #5923 on: April 23, 2024, 10:16:58 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Why aren't they calling flopping more?

Funny use of phrasing, "non-unsportsmanlike".  So I guess flopping is considered sportsmanlike theatrics?

Reactions to contact that are deemed secondary, excessive, and theatrical will be deemed as flops. The penalty for a flop will be a non-unsportsmanlike technical foul. However, it will not count toward the possible ejection of a player. For an ejection, two unsportsmanlike technical fouls are needed

I think the "non-unsportsmanlike phrasing is because 2 unsportsmanlike techs gets you ejected, but flopping techs never will
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5924 on: April 23, 2024, 10:24:47 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 596

That overturned call had real “JB gets hit in the head but is marginal contact and overturned on replay” vibes to it. Hard to feel bad for the Lakers given how many calls they get, but that one was bad. Clearly didn’t think there was enough there to overturn. There’s just simply no consistency.

I don't feel bad for LA, bit we shuold be upset Den gets the job made easier for them.
Still don't believe in Joe.