Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 339583 times)

Re: Horford, Brown & Kings Pick for AD
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 12:04:33 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Media saying Boston will be players this off season and will not be stagnant

Sean Deveany of the sporting news: I'm hearing things about the  Celtics offseason. It won't be stagnant ...  Stay tuned.
Oh yeah Danny is definitely going to look at what he can get for Rozier and the Kings pick together or separately.

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 12:05:44 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm guessing Pelicans retain Cousins and try again with their group.

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 12:09:11 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
The Pelicans say no to this without even having to think about it.

I really hope the next 4 months aren't just Anthony Davis posts. This team as it's constructed right now is a championship team if healthy. The rebuild is over.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 12:17:07 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Sean Deveany of the sporting news: I'm hearing things about the  Celtics offseason. It won't be stagnant ...  Stay tuned.
Oh yeah Danny is definitely going to look at what he can get for Rozier and the Kings pick together or separately.

Yeah. Even if they retain the core, they can’t stay stagnant and have a bunch of decisions to make.

Marcus - extend, sign for QO, match if he gets an offer?
Terry - keep or move? Decisions about him and Marcus are obviously linked.
Morris - keep or move? With Gordon coming back, there won’t be a ton of wing minutes.
Baynes - resign or replace?
Yabusele - extend or not?
If a young big is there at 6-8 who you think is worth a 3d pick, do you put together a package that includes future picks to go and get him?

And that’s before considering all the KAT and Kawhi madness.

Cannot wait for June 25.

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 09:00:52 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
If you want to entertain trade ideas for Anthony Davis you have to get a little crazy and you have to start with giving up Irving in the deal.  It has to be so excessive that many or most Celtics fans won't want to do it.  Here's an example:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9fwzu9z

Irving, Horford, Brown, Yabusele    for   Anthony Davis, Jrue Holiday

Irving and AD are one year apart....Given Horford and Brown for Jrue Holiday, this trade should have no draft picks going to the Pelicans, or possibly just a late first from Celtics at some point.  Horford is the underrated entity.  He is not a throw-in, he is the Celtics major anchoring force without which there could be some adjustment struggles...

First the Pelicans, who would likely make an offer to Cousins if they traded away Davis, for an eventual lineup of:

Cousins, Horford
Horford, Mirotic, Diallo, Solomon Hill, Yabusele
Jaylen Brown, D. Miller, S. Hill
E. Moore, Jaylen Brown, Liggins
Irving, free agent, F. Jackson

Celtics, who could sign Rondo given his chemistry with Davis, or not.

With Rondo lineup:

A. Davis, Theis, Baynes
Tatum, Morris, Theis
Hayward, Tatum, Morris
Holiday, Smart, Bird
Rondo, Rozier, Holiday

As Jrue can play the point....this might also encourage a Rozier trade.  Or, keep Rozier and Smart moves on....etc...

random info:  Holiday is 6'4" and 205 pounds...can handle starting at SG as he did in NO.  He is tough, a great defender and scorer, and is only 27.  Just has a significant injury history, which makes his contract a little frightening...but there's also some risk with Kyrie.

I don't believe Ainge would do this deal and I don't think most Celtics fans would either...but it's good to look at AD trades where we think we give up too much...   And if a deal like this did happen, I don't think they'd sign Rondo.  I  think they'd start Jrue at point and either Smart or Hayward at SG....

For example, starters:

Baynes, AD, Theis
AD, Morris, Theis, Ojeleye
Tatum, Hayward, Morris, Ojeleye
Hayward, Smart, Rozier, Bird
Holiday, Rozier, Smart
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 09:36:55 PM by wiley »

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 10:23:24 AM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
AD is NOT going to happen this year.  After the 2018/19 season, he is both eligible for a supermax extension AND will have two years remaining on his current deal.  There is NO CHANCE IN HELL he gets moved before then.  NOP will probably try until the trade deadline of the following season before they try to trade him (if he isn't locked up before then).

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 10:30:18 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The latest stuff he's said isn't exactly committal to NO. If Cousins and Rondo are gone, I wouldn't be shocked if he wanted out.
And what's that stuff, pray tell?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 10:36:24 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Yeah. Even if they retain the core, they can’t stay stagnant and have a bunch of decisions to make.

Marcus - extend, sign for QO, match if he gets an offer?
Terry - keep or move? Decisions about him and Marcus are obviously linked.
Morris - keep or move? With Gordon coming back, there won’t be a ton of wing minutes.
Baynes - resign or replace?
Yabusele - extend or not?
If a young big is there at 6-8 who you think is worth a 3d pick, do you put together a package that includes future picks to go and get him?

And that’s before considering all the KAT and Kawhi madness.

Cannot wait for June 25.

I'd be surprised if Danny does much of anything that's outside of keeping the bulk of this roster together. 

Some possible variations to that theme:
- Smart gets an offer from someone foolish enough to pay him well more than MLE and Danny lets him go --> Danny then has to find a decent replacement and looks at the silver lining that he has that much more room between the team salaries and the luxury tax.
- Baynes gets an offer better than MLE and leaves.  Danny can't match and has to find a replacement.
- Danny sees Rozier's limitations as well as an opportunity to grab a top prospect or quality starter-level player by moving Rozier and the Sac pick. 

Team seems geared towards competing now rather than acquiring more assets so IF there's any significant moves, it would probably be a deal of Rozier and the Sac pick (or other picks) to get a quality veteran that can score and defend off the bench. 
By that same token, I wouldn't be surprised to see Morris moved in a deal to improve the bench either.  His D on Bron was fine but he doesn't rebound much, he's a ball-stopper on offense and his offense frequently disappeared in the playoffs.  Semi isn't quite ready to be the team's Bron stopper but he's already a pretty good defender and started showing some offensive moves in the later stages of the season.

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 11:03:04 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
AD is NOT going to happen this year.  After the 2018/19 season, he is both eligible for a supermax extension AND will have two years remaining on his current deal.  There is NO CHANCE IN HELL he gets moved before then.  NOP will probably try until the trade deadline of the following season before they try to trade him (if he isn't locked up before then).
The 3rd year of his contract is a player option and AD will assuredly opt out.  Very little chance of it happening but trading AD this offseason would give NOP a much better return than waiting until next offseason. 

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 11:20:30 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Straight away!

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 12:24:45 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
If NO were to do it this summer (they won't) they would probably be in full-on rebuild mode and not looking to take on a player/salary like Horford, unless it was purely as a filler to make the salaries work.  Kyrie could be part of a deal, but not unless he resigns first- which won't happen.

The only player that has a contract they might take on as an asset and not a filler would be Hayward - not gonna happen due to injury.

So I think it comes back to taking Horford as a salary filler and then they would want:
Brown
Rozier
Sac pick
Memphis Pick
Our pick this year

That may not even be enough.  My guess is we would need to bring in a third team, get assets for Horford, and then add those assets to the war chest.

Overpay? Would New Orleans do it? We may be at the point where we need to cash in a couple 50s for a 100...

Who says no? Boston, New Orleans, Or Toronto?
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2018, 01:24:57 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
I've seen a lot of AD to Boston trade ideas on this board, and I just don't see it happening.  But it did make me think - what would it take? 

(1) The salaries obviously need to work.  That means unloading Kyrie, Horford, or Hayward.  There is not other way to make it work for Boston unless you trade Tatum, Brown, Rozier, Morris, and Yabu (that ain't happening)
(2) New Orleans would need to get a piece back with a lot of time left on the contract. That means Kyrie and Horford straight up can't happen. 
(3) Boston isn't going to give up all of its youth.  Any Tatum+Brown deals are non starters.

Given those constraints, which I largely pulled out of my arse, it makes me think the only way to get the deal done is to pull in a third team that would NEED Horford and give close to market value for him.  THINKING.....THINKING....  Ah ha!  Who got killed in the playoffs because their only big got burned on the perimeter with his stone feet?  Toronto!

So here we go:
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ybu9l2ec

Boston Gets:  Anthony Davis
Toronto Gets: Al Horford, 2018 Boston Pick #27 Overall
New Orleans Gets:  DeMar DeRozan (4 years), 2019 Sac pick, 2019 Memphis Pick, 2019 Clippers pick.

I think Toronto would be better and would actually do this deal in a heartbeat. 
I don't actually think New Orleans would trade AD for anything until next summer, but if they did they would be equipped to rebuild on the fly while staying competitive. 

And of course, Boston would roll out:

Kyrie
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
AD

We could potentially package Rozier and Brown in to the deal to sweeten it for both trade partners as well, giving our 2018 pick to NO instead and allowing them to keep Rozier as the PG of the future. 

Toronto Gets Brown and Horford
Boston Gets AD and a filler
New Orleans gets Rozier, DeRozan, 2018 Boston Pick, 2019 Sac Pick, 2019 Memphis Pick, and 2019 Clippers Pick.

In that scenario ( http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ychdyc2a  ) we roll out:

Kyrie
Smart
Hayward
Tatum
AD
with Morris, Larkin, Semi, and Baynes off the bench.

Win, win, win! 

Re: Who says no? Boston, New Orleans, Or Toronto?
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2018, 01:27:58 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Brown, Horford and 4#1's for AD?  Too rich for my blood.

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2018, 01:29:43 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Toronto and NOP both say no.

I don't think Al Horford and a low pick is what the Raptors would want if they're moving DeMar.

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2018, 01:30:42 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
What about Horford and Brown as the second scenario shows?

Toronto and NOP both say no.

I don't think Al Horford and a low pick is what the Raptors would want if they're moving DeMar.