Author Topic: Tim Bontemps predicts Jimmy Butler will be traded to Boston  (Read 33372 times)

Re: Tim Bontemps predicts Jimmy Butler will be traded to Boston
« Reply #150 on: April 28, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
You can't claim Butler is a superstar above criticism while at the same time arguing his price should be cheap. 

WHO IS CLAIMING THAT?

Mike

To get back to seriousness. I do think Butler can be a superstar.

Maybe they really do pick Hoiberg over Butler...

Yeah it totally makes sense to choose a coach over a budding superstar.

Even by unfairly editing the crap out of that post, you still fail.

WHO IS CLAIMING BUTLER IS "A SUPERSTAR ABOVE CRITICISM" WHILE ALSO ARGUING HIS PRICE SHOULD BE CHEAP?

I realize I might come off a bit abrasive at times but at least I don't relentlessly mischaracterize and distort what other people post to try and make myself look smart.

Mike
Quote from: celticsclay
I think he is the ultimate buy-low candidate right now. The bulls, partly through bad injury luck, have really screwed up their team....So to answer the question of why the Bulls would trade such a star? Well what we can hope is that their front office is as dysfunctional as it has appeared the last few years. Forcing Thibs out, hiring Hoiberg, seemingly holding on to a core group that has continued to erode for the last 4 years to watch Noah and Rose become complete non-assets.
Just quoting the reasoning you alluded to.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #151 on: April 28, 2016, 05:56:55 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
How do you really feel about Butler, LarBrd33?

In all seriousness, I don't think people are arguing against your assertion that Butler is not a Durant/Curry-type player; he is clearly at least a tier below. It was your assertion that Butler is "a premium-brand Ricky Davis" that drew reactions, and your failure to ascertain between criticism of a lazy comparison and your premise of not wanting to trade for Butler (the fact that he is not a superduperstar) is making this a much bigger deal than it needs to be. 

« Reply #152 on: April 28, 2016, 06:01:07 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
You can't claim Butler is a superstar above criticism while at the same time arguing his price should be cheap. 

WHO IS CLAIMING THAT?

Mike

WHO IS CLAIMING BUTLER IS "A SUPERSTAR ABOVE CRITICISM" WHILE ALSO ARGUING HIS PRICE SHOULD BE CHEAP?

I realize I might come off a bit abrasive at times but at least I don't relentlessly mischaracterize and distort what other people post to try and make myself look smart.

Mike
Quote from: celticsclay
I think he is the ultimate buy-low candidate right now. The bulls, partly through bad injury luck, have really screwed up their team....So to answer the question of why the Bulls would trade such a star? Well what we can hope is that their front office is as dysfunctional as it has appeared the last few years. Forcing Thibs out, hiring Hoiberg, seemingly holding on to a core group that has continued to erode for the last 4 years to watch Noah and Rose become complete non-assets.
Just quoting the reasoning you alluded to.

thank you... i realize it is just a forum but that was pretty annoying from larbrd.

« Reply #153 on: April 28, 2016, 06:04:37 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

WHO IS CLAIMING THAT?

Mike

Mike

I think my infant daughter can be a good athlete some time in the distant future.  Therefore, I must think she IS a good athlete right now.  And above criticism.  QED.

« Reply #154 on: April 28, 2016, 06:26:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

WHO IS CLAIMING THAT?

Mike

Mike

I think my infant daughter can be a good athlete some time in the distant future.  Therefore, I must think she IS a good athlete right now.  And above criticism.  QED.

strong post. tp

« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2016, 07:05:47 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I think my infant daughter
IS a good athlete right now.  And above criticism...

« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2016, 07:10:25 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think my infant daughter
IS a good athlete right now.  And above criticism...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDVU3KgNBsc

(dramatization. may not have happened)

« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2016, 08:06:53 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2016, 09:03:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
How do you really feel about Butler, LarBrd33?

In all seriousness, I don't think people are arguing against your assertion that Butler is not a Durant/Curry-type player; he is clearly at least a tier below. It was your assertion that Butler is "a premium-brand Ricky Davis" that drew reactions, and your failure to ascertain between criticism of a lazy comparison and your premise of not wanting to trade for Butler (the fact that he is not a superduperstar) is making this a much bigger deal than it needs to be.
Lol.  The funny thing is Kraft and Kroger brand are essentially the exact same ingredients.  They sometimes even make the products in the same exact fascility they just come in different packages. 

« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2016, 09:06:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

WHO IS CLAIMING THAT?

Mike

You neatly edited out the rest of my post where I said it was possible because their front office is so incredibly dysfunctional. If you don't get how the front office is dysfunctional and has made a ton of stupid moves in the last decade I don't really know where to start.

Also dude, editing my quotes around from a post to remove the meaning is pretty crappy. It is one thing to misunderstand what someone was says, but intentionally manipulating their posts to make them say something else is kind of crappy, even for you.
i didn't edit your post.  I highlighted the only relevant bits. That you think butler can be a superstar and you think the Bulls might pick a coach over him.   Dysfunctional or not, that's a comical premise.

Butler likely isn't going to be a superstar.  If you believe the Bulls will trade him for picks, it must mean the Bulls don't think he will be a superstar either.

He's still a nice player who could help.  I'd be fine with adding him at the right price.

« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2016, 09:11:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

WHO IS CLAIMING THAT?

Mike

You neatly edited out the rest of my post where I said it was possible because their front office is so incredibly dysfunctional. If you don't get how the front office is dysfunctional and has made a ton of stupid moves in the last decade I don't really know where to start.

Also dude, editing my quotes around from a post to remove the meaning is pretty crappy. It is one thing to misunderstand what someone was says, but intentionally manipulating their posts to make them say something else is kind of crappy, even for you.
i didn't edit your post.  I highlighted the only relevant bits. That you think butler can be a superstar and you think the Bulls might pick a coach over him.   Dysfunctional or not, that's a comical premise.

Butler likely isn't going to be a superstar.  If you believe the Bulls will trade him for picks, it must mean the Bulls don't think he will be a superstar either.

He's still a nice player who could help.  I'd be fine with adding him at the right price.

Just like if anyone believes the Kings will trade DMC for picks, it must mean Sacramento doesn't think he is good enough to build a team around.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2016, 09:14:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

WHO IS CLAIMING THAT?

Mike

I realize I might come off a bit abrasive at times

no worries, Mike.

It seems we are in agreement it isn't wise to overpay for jimmy butler.  Nice player, but not a superstar.  Bottom line is that you aren't going to be a true contender just by swapping out Bradley + all our picks for butler.  If we are paying those kind of prices (knowing that it might also cost us crowder or smart), we better be getting a franchise player or putting ourselves in better position to add a franchise player after the fact.

Seems we are in agreement butler isn't a superstar.  Some folks think he is.  He's overrated.  He's a fringe star.  The derozan comparisons are fair, because derozan can theoretically he added without losing any assets.

« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2016, 09:16:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

WHO IS CLAIMING THAT?

Mike

Just like if anyone believes the Kings will trade DMC for picks, it must mean Sacramento doesn't think he is good enough to build a team around.
cousins hasn't been traded for picks. There's been no sign they are open to trading him for picks.  There are no rumors that he will be traded for picks.  And it's believed that cousins has considerable baggage.  As far as I know, butler doesn't have any major baggage and isn't demanding a trade - so it would be interesting if the Bulls dumped him.  But of course, butler is merely a borderline star - it's totally plausible he'd he traded.  They will ask for a lot despite this.   I'm not sure the price will make sense for us.

« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2016, 09:24:16 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

WHO IS CLAIMING THAT?

Mike

cousins hasn't been traded for picks. There's been no sign they are open to trading him for picks.  There are no rumors that he will be traded for picks.  And it's believed that cousins has considerable baggage.  As far as I know, butler doesn't have any major baggage and isn't demanding a trade - so it would be interesting if the Bulls dumped him.  But of course, butler is merely a borderline star - it's totally plausible he'd he traded.  They will ask for a lot despite this.   I'm not sure the price will make sense for us.

Can you pop in and say this every time someone starts yet another Cousins thread?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #164 on: April 28, 2016, 09:25:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

WHO IS CLAIMING THAT?

Mike

Everyone on this thread that has posted has agreed you edited my
Comments In a stupid/unfair way. Be an adult and admit it was stupid. Or dig deeper and be you.